Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 Turbo and Turbo S (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turbo-and-turbo-s-258/)
-   -   Any Less Obvious Tips & Pointers for New Owner? (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turbo-and-turbo-s/1406849-any-less-obvious-tips-and-pointers-for-new-owner.html)

TKDbilly 04-08-2024 05:06 PM

Any Less Obvious Tips & Pointers for New Owner?

Hello group,

My 2024 Turbo S Cab. is still on a ship and about 2 weeks away. I am a first time 911 owner though I have had other Porsches (914 most recently).

Any fun, tactical, less obvious or secret tips, pointers, guidance on fully utilizing this amazing car?

I figured there were members that learned some things after owning their cars for a while would be fun to know.

Thanks all!

mscott1987 04-08-2024 05:36 PM

After having owed my TTS for just over 3 years I would say one tip would be to make sure you have a radar detector. Even stock the car goes like $HIT off a shovel! Enjoy the car I’m sure you will!

f4bones 04-08-2024 06:39 PM

One challenge for you - try and figure out how to turn on the steering wheel heat without reading the manual . . . it's not obvious!! Took me awhile to figure that one out :). . .

eclou 04-08-2024 07:41 PM

find yourself a good phone mount. One that won't let it fly all over the car during spirited driving lol

Angryinch 04-08-2024 08:11 PM

Good fuel, always 93 octane and good tires.

Full PPF it and out the factory lads back over top of the PPF. The hips get blasted.

When you wanna go fast hit the over boost button, it provides the most performance.

L76 04-08-2024 08:39 PM

Use your program button for something REALLY useful for how YOU drive your car (e.g. turn off start/stop or to switch audio input or...). Also, don't leave back seats in down position too long or with weight on them for too long... they take on indentations from the bottom seat and armrest stitching. ;}

Cheers,
L76

Pad Bender 04-08-2024 10:25 PM

Keep a lithium safe jump starter or cables in the cabin tucked behind the back seat.

Its useless in the funk as you have to charge the fuse panel to open the frunk.

Manifold 04-09-2024 12:55 AM

- Use a good radar detector
- Beware that you'll often being faster than you realize (hypothetically, hard for me to keep it under 90 mph on the highway)
- Adjust your driving on the road based on sight distance, not the performance capability of the car
- Take some time to get used to the speed of the car
- Give the car time to warm up before you get on it

nimski62 04-09-2024 07:56 AM

Enable “Extended comfort access in the PCM” I used to hate the door handles now I love them bc they pop out when I approach the car with the key in my pocket. Didn’t know about this lovely feature.

RD16RR 04-09-2024 08:21 AM

of course you're going to enjoy the car....there are a few "flies in the soup" - here's my list:

- use the convertible top frequently...when doing so check that the rear windows work as they should - sometimes misalignment causes the top to not do what it should - easy dealer fix
- use the sport and sport+ mode exercising the spoiler functionality - driver motors and control units are often troublesome - parts can take weeks to arrive
- manually use the spoilers just testing them and making sure they function as they should
- use the seat pull straps to tilt the seat forward allowing access to the rear - mine needed replacement on both seats, not allowing access (annoying) to the back seat - warranty of course, but again parts can take time to arrive
- ask about the ground strap update - although i'd bet its a non-issue now...it was an official recall - but a real inconvenience if not done (needed a tow)
- have dealer (or DIY) install a pigtail on the battery for your battery trickle charger - not needed if you use the car frequently - footwell plug for charging has been unreliable
- Porsche battery charger hasn't been great...most use CTEK, Battery Tender (Deltran) or any good LifPo4 charger either directly to the battery (alligator clips) or PigTail
- radar detector is needed / helpful, but getting the power cord up to the mirror area isn't the easiest thing to do, but not beyond most people's determination
- depending on where you are located, watch the potholes and check/keep tire pressures set to your liking - a tad higher psi might be helpful
- door lock works by resting your finger on the door handle sensor not swiping it - or use the key fob
- enable comfort access (as nimski62 states) so the door handles open for you as you approach - there are times it doesn't work as expected but its thought the system has to "wake up"
- drive it a lot - it is very rewarding & extremely capable - enjoy it :thumbup:

2021 TTS Cab - 36,000 miles - 3rd set of tires :)

shrimp money 04-09-2024 08:41 AM

Keep a spare CR2032 battery in your glove box, and hardwire pigtails for a battery maintainer to your battery. Run the wire through your windshield cowl for easy access.

eclou 04-09-2024 08:49 AM

If you do need to try to jump the car to open the frunk, familiarize yourself on the process:

1)use the metal key inside your key fob to manually unlock the door - the key cylinder is underneath the extended door handle on the drivers side
2)the positive lead for the jump is extended out from the fuse panel next to the dead pedal
3)the negative lead is not the door hinge but rather the metal door latch on the body of the car where the strike plate is at the rear of the door opening by the seat - not the front and dashboard

HOTCHKIS 04-09-2024 09:39 AM

all good to know fellas!

TKDbilly 04-09-2024 11:12 AM

Yes amazing insights and obvious lesson's learned. Keep those cards and letters coming. I suspect a lot of owners would love to have this growing quick reference list, as well.

iso87 04-10-2024 08:53 AM

- Adjust your tire pressure to Comfort pressure(you also have to change this setting in PCM) - makes a huge difference in overall comfort esp when going over potholes etc

- Change oil after the first 1000 miles / after break in period