Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Wagner Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 11:22 PM
x622

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wagner Intercoolers

Does anyone have any feedback on the Wagner Intercoolers for the 992 Turbo S?

I was watching a video on it and I wasn't sure if the pair of nozzles on the top were the meth provisions. I also had my concerns on using rubber bands that will be subject to heat (especially in AZ) to secure the carbon shrouds that replace the stock ones.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:23 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 215 Likes on 186 Posts

We'e been doing CSF intercoolers for the 992 Turbos. Have them in stock as well.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 11-07-2022, 03:08 PM
x622

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
We'e been doing CSF intercoolers for the 992 Turbos. Have them in stock as well.

-Josh
I was looking at the wagners because it comes with CF shrouds and it's tube and fin versus bar and plate. Personally I think the CSF is overpriced. Paying 5k for bar/plate cores seems like robbery to me, especially comparing what the previous generation cost.
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 06:34 PM
LEVELperformance
Former Vendor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by x622
I was looking at the wagners because it comes with CF shrouds and it's tube and fin versus bar and plate. Personally I think the CSF is overpriced. Paying 5k for bar/plate cores seems like robbery to me, especially comparing what the previous generation cost.
As i know so far Wagner's are tested by LCi ( ES CREW ), but haven't seen any exact data on them. Product is available for a short period only so far, so no record/exact data runs seen by me yet. And i'm watching this field with the highest attention possible 🙂

I Have tested 9ff/csf and my one, cant wait to put Wagner on dyno too. do88 not tested yet - have you looked at it's design?
​​​
i suppose wagner will have good flow capabilities (low pressure drop) and low heat soak but not as high in efficiency...
Old 11-08-2022, 06:37 PM
LEVELperformance
Former Vendor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Speaking about Csf, although it is a competitive product, i kindly ask you to take a look at its core deeper - it is a high quality oil-style multi-tubr US-made core from PWR (former C&R) and its definitely not a cheap bar/plate one.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:33 PM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

it's not bar/plate - just counting the rows of cooling between CSF and Wagner - it's like double the performance w/o having to modify anything - the reason Wagner has to include shrouds is because they can't get the performance we can with an OEM fit. Don't be fooled by carbon shrouds that do zero for performance
Old 11-09-2022, 10:32 PM
x622

Originally Posted by CSF Cooling
it's not bar/plate - just counting the rows of cooling between CSF and Wagner - it's like double the performance w/o having to modify anything - the reason Wagner has to include shrouds is because they can't get the performance we can with an OEM fit. Don't be fooled by carbon shrouds that do zero for performance
I don't follow what you're saying. The CSF core is absolutely a bar and plate, and bar/plates always have less "rows" of cooling because you have narrow channels versus the tube/fin design.

Look at the inside of this

And then CSF versus stock

I wasn't fooled by the carbon fiber shrouds just like I wasn't fooled by your nicely machined end tanks. The Wagner core is just a bigger OEM style tube/fin core versus your bar/plate. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. My goal is to not heatsoak here in AZ where it is really easy to do so under prolonged abuse, which means efficiency is the top priority, not a core acting like a heatsink. I don't even claim that CSF cores are poor quality, they're up there with Bell and the old Garrett cores. I've used bar and plate cores in some of the drag builds I've done and they work great.
Old 08-14-2024, 08:39 AM
Aldoron
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sry to revive such an old thread, but I’m in similar position. I’m in Phoenix, AZ as well, have a 992 tts and looking to upg intercooler. Deciding between basically Wagner and CSF, possibly do88 though idk much about their ic yet.
Which route did you end up taking? Wagner or CSF?
What else did you learn?
Any specific observations relating to our sweltering summers here in AZ and heat soak, intercooler performance, etc etc ?

Performance wise, so far i have JCR titanium valved exhaust. Plan on decat or hjs 200s soon. Debating if the inconel + heat shield ones from JCR or Kline are worth the extra $ versus stainless or titanium ones from fabspeed, soul, akrapovic, etc (from both a sound and heat soak standpoint). Plan on upgrading all my various hoses, bmc filter, and tune (probably M-Eng). Still debating headers, or plenum, and or do88 intake boxes. I know they say headers don’t actually show much improvement on this platform until higher hp, but i bet sound good. Doubt i go all the way to upgrading turbos this time around, but this should at least give an idea of current and future path for the car, shooting for around 675-725 whp.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aldoron:
cptcolo0 (09-04-2024), MovingChicane (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 02:42 PM
X-PH.COM - MIKE
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 274 Likes on 247 Posts

Wagner & CSF are both top quality, performance wise, i dont thing you will notice a difference between the 2 upgrades
Old 08-14-2024, 10:14 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,234 Likes on 717 Posts

Heat soak if you’re racing on a road course?

If the car is moving and air is moving it won’t heat soak much. If you’re constantly pounding the boost it might.

When driving my IAT are right around ambient. If I do a pull, when turbos are boosting, heat goes up quickly (without meth).

But as soon as you let off and driving normal again, IAT comes right back down fairly quickly,

air flow is key..

GT2 has nozzles that spray the inter cooler with distilled water to help with cooling. But I mean that is for smashing hardcore laps on a race track.. I doubt you need that on the street.
Old 08-15-2024, 02:13 AM
Aldoron
Rennlist Member

You underestimate AZ and Phoenix summers haha. Ranges from 95-120 ambient, and with heat index/radiating off the pavement and other cars can reach 130+
when i first moved here, my sister cooked an egg on the pavement haha. I want to say this year or last year our record hot day was about 122-124, avg 108.
Does cool down to 80-90s at night. Luckily we don’t have much humidity or it’d be unbearable, and our elevation isn’t too high or our DA would be off the charts. I’ve seen ranges in DA from about 1200-6000 over course of the year…crazy right, for a place that’s only 1000ft above sea level.

i honestly try not to drive hard during hot summer days. However, just trying to do my due diligence and a little research on the best intercooler for hotter climate.

It seems both are good ICs though. One thing I’m concerned about is for CSF the need to cut the oem ic shroud to fit, whereas Wagner comes with the CF ones. I wonder if ever going back to stock could that present an issue or would a new shroud be needed?
Old 08-15-2024, 08:13 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 57 Posts

An early model CSF (no meth port) on mine. Cut the stock shrouds and have never worried about it. Run the car in Las Vegas, but have not tracked the car here (yet). Tracked the car in some cooler CA tracks though with no issues. Will be running stage 2/3 (no meth) at road track courses (PCA DE days) in Oct, but that will be cooler climate by then.

Good luck,
L76
Old 08-15-2024, 12:57 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 602 Posts

Do you have a shop in AZ you are dealing with? We have a few friends out there and I would be glad to help you out with info and advice if you like. Feel free to reach out anytime!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
The following users liked this post:
MovingChicane (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 02:25 PM
Aldoron
Rennlist Member

Haven’t truly settled on a shop yet. Though i had Murtha motor sports install exhaust for me. Had talked with Luxury Auto Sports about some exterior pieces, techart diffuser and such, but nothing done yet.
Appreciate it. I know there are some good shops around here, just not sure which one to go with.

Pretty sure M- Eng is out here too, but idk if they operate like a normal shop.

In the short term, to match my JCR exhaust, i think I’m going to grab the JCR inconel 200cel hjs cats i found from a guy that traded his car in. I had thought about getting the catless ones with heat shielding from JCR, thinking that would keep temps down a tiny bit, but I’d imagine exhaust + catless would be really loud, you just can’t tell from videos how it actually is. Plus then if i have to do emissions in a year or two then have to swap back, and i can get the cats for less than the catless since it’s used vs new.

he also has m-Eng tune he offered me, he had JCR exhaust + cats only. So would be fine for now, but not sure how that’d work if i added more parts, IC, plenum, hoses, intake. Wonder if you can get adjusted files from M-Eng, not being the OP?
Old 08-15-2024, 07:47 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 602 Posts

That sounds great. Tunes are generally not transferable as far as I know. Feel free to reach out.

Quick Reply: Wagner Intercoolers