Originally Posted by RD16RR
9.5 quarts - oil & filter

Fill the last half quart slowly careful to not overfill
This says 8.3 liters:

Old 09-16-2024, 02:20 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 969 Posts

FYI - my PCSS/PPN account got activated today and I was able to access all procedures (same ones dealers use). Oil fill on a turbo s is 8.3 liters and total oil in the system when engine is replaced is 11.6 liters.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:39 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 211 Posts

I've had it changed at the dealer 3 times already - each time they leave the extra 1/2qrt for me (10qrts purchased) - it always checks at just under the top/top level

Tech even came out to the car to confirm the level was in fact ok/correct - they do not like to overfill - 9.5qrts was the rule

8.3ltr = 8.7qrt
Old 09-16-2024, 02:56 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

I've had it changed at the dealer 3 times already - each time they leave the extra 1/2qrt for me (10qrts purchased) - it always checks at just under the top/top level

Tech even came out to the car to confirm the level was in fact ok/correct - they do not like to overfill - 9.5qrts was the rule

8.3ltr = 8.7qrt
I dont know what to tell you. I have the system that dealers use at home. Took a while to get approved for it. I pay hourly to use it and all maintenance procedures are live downloaded from PAG servers. Its dumb proof, VIN based. For a 2024 911 Turbo S, oil change procedure calls precisely 8.3 liters. And then there is that video I linked (and there is another one in this forum as well). They all validate 8.3 liters.

Maybe your dealer is pocketing extra bottle of oil lol
The following users liked this post:
RD16RR (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 03:35 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

well...mine is a 2021 TTS...i just scoured the owners manual before posting the last post and only find the oil capacity for the difference between the low level and high level marks being 1.1qt

I do recall what they told me at the dealer and understood it quite clearly - let me know if you smell anything peculiar (or hear any mechanically odd noises) when you're out there driving

I tried google and it came back with 8.8ltr and various other numbers - did not see 9.5qt anywhere

Last edited by RD16RR; 09-17-2024 at 07:42 AM. Reason: google search
Old 09-17-2024, 08:44 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Update:

Watched the YT video above

- he added an extra half ltr after his initial 8.3ltr (8.77qt) -- .5ltr = a tad more than half a quart which would be a total of 9.2 quarts (give or take)

Thought you would like to know
Old 09-17-2024, 09:05 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Update:

Watched the YT video above

- he added an extra half ltr after his initial 8.3ltr (8.77qt) -- .5ltr = a tad more than half a quart which would be a total of 9.2 quarts (give or take)

Thought you would like to know
It was late last night when I completed the change and didnt have time to post.

I think you are right, its more than 8.3 liters. I drained roughly 9 liters perhaps a tad more. I have a good bottle with measures on it for collecting old oil. I added 8.2 liters which put me a hair above min mark. But this would go down to min (still said OK) then back up to the small line above after a few drive cycles. I then added another 300 ml and that got me to the mid point. Then I ran out of time. I plan to add another 300 ml but I think I may need 500-600 ml more to full mark.

I dont know why Porsche’s documentation states 8.3 liters. I triple checked it. Instructions were for a Turbo S as its VIN based.

Side note, oil filter is difficult to reinsert and requires gentle twisting/screwing motion.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:58 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

I just remember the first 10,000 mile oil change - i was so **** about being able to read the gauge, that after the change, while i was still in the service dept, i asked to be shown how to open the window/screen to see the oil level - the instrument cluster was still new to me so after scrolling to the oil level display i was surprised to see it lower than the high / full mark -- having waited to have the oil service done at the dealer (the first change was a freebie) i expected to see it on the exact high mark - the service mngr called the service tech up to speak to me....he gave me the rundown on how they do it and what i see (below the high mark) is perfect - they measure the exact amount to add (9.5qt) and give the customer the remaining half quart to "top off" as needed -- by the time i got home (40+ miles) i didn't need to add any, the level was spot on perfect at the high mark -- i only added some (very little) after the level dipped slightly lower - there is a 1.0 quart difference (on the turbo s -- 1.4 on the carrera & targa) from the low level mark and the high level mark -- he was very confident he had it right, and stressed the importance of not over filling and how 9.5 quarts and the lower than high mark is exactly the right place to be

just sharing....because sharing is caring
Old 09-17-2024, 09:23 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

I just remember the first 10,000 mile oil change - i was so **** about being able to read the gauge, that after the change, while i was still in the service dept, i asked to be shown how to open the window/screen to see the oil level - the instrument cluster was still new to me so after scrolling to the oil level display i was surprised to see it lower than the high / full mark -- having waited to have the oil service done at the dealer (the first change was a freebie) i expected to see it on the exact high mark - the service mngr called the service tech up to speak to me....he gave me the rundown on how they do it and what i see (below the high mark) is perfect - they measure the exact amount to add (9.5qt) and give the customer the remaining half quart to "top off" as needed -- by the time i got home (40+ miles) i didn't need to add any, the level was spot on perfect at the high mark -- i only added some (very little) after the level dipped slightly lower - there is a 1.0 quart difference (on the turbo s -- 1.4 on the carrera & targa) from the low level mark and the high level mark -- he was very confident he had it right, and stressed the importance of not over filling and how 9.5 quarts and the lower than high mark is exactly the right place to be

just sharing....because sharing is caring
Thanks. I am at exactly 9.5 qts now. Will go for a drive and come back to measure.
Old 09-18-2024, 08:44 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Is the oil fill 8.3 liters or 9.5 quarts as another poster mentions for Turbo S?
With a new Oil Filter it’s 9 Liters or 9 1/2 Quarts. Recommend start with 8. Test/read. Top up slowly (e.g. add .5 qt as needed and retest). Screen shot from manual on oil type. Why you see variances in everyone's reporting is because some changed their oil when engine was cold/warm vs. when engine oil was drained at operating temp. Need to bring engine/oil temp up to drain more/most of the oil. A cool/warm 992 engine will take a long time (if ever) to drain all 9.5 qts. The oil plumbing in the crankcase is quite elaborate (believe this goes back to when these were "air cooled" motors ... actually oil cooled) so all of the oil will not drain easily if it is not "hot". Method I am recommending will ensure correct fill, AND it will minimize residual old oil on the change. I buy two 5qt jugs of Mobil One, then let my car drain for a few hours and tool around on other maint projects while she's draining... I measure the old oil volume before refilling... and usually the amount I am refilling with = the amount I drained by the time I finish the top off sequence above. I miss dipsticks.

Good luck,
L76

Last edited by L76; 09-18-2024 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added more context
Old 09-18-2024, 09:31 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

After adding the last 200 ml, I am exactly at 9.5 quarts and oil dipstick still shows 2/3 of the way full. Given my car burned zero oil in 3000 miles and given how overfilling is easy, I am inclined to not add any more oil. Overall it was the easiest oil change I have done ever in any car.

The oil that came out also looked literally brand new. It hadnt turned dark brown most cars do. I couldnt believe how clean it was. Almost used it as olive oil in a kale salad haha

Old 09-18-2024, 10:09 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 57 Posts

So... assume you mean the "digital gauge" (not dipstick)... but you may find that the oil measurement changes after car has been driven for a while and oil temp reaches max/normal operating temp. I would not add any more oil either. Run it. Test it. You're better off under filling than over filling.

-L76
Old 09-18-2024, 10:13 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by L76
So... assume you mean the "digital gauge" (not dipstick)... but you may find that the oil measurement changes after car has been driven for a while and oil temp reaches max/normal operating temp. I would not add any more oil either. Run it. Test it. You're better off under filling than over filling.

-L76
Yes, this is what I meant. All my oil readings follow the same procedure:

- Bring the coolant to 194F or above
- Bring the oil temp to 192F or above
- Park the car on a flat surface
- Shut the car down, exit, lock
- Wait 3 minutes
- Turn the car back on and check.

I have done this 6-7 times after oil change. Adding the last 200 ml didnt seem to have any effect. It stayed at 2/3 full mark.

I never fill my RS to above half either. Doesnt hurt anything. They never ever burn any oil. My 991 RS burned 0 oil in 15,000 miles. The new one after 1200 miles burned 0 oil. Very happy with porsche engines.

Quick Reply: 992 turbo S oil capacity