Sponsored by:

Porsche lettering above rear bumper and PPF install

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Porsche lettering above rear bumper and PPF install

Does anyone know whether there is a way to install PPF on the rear bumper of a 992 GT3 Touring without making cutouts in the film for the raised Porsche lettering above the bumper? My PPF installer is saying he needs to make cutouts for the letters, but it seems to me that there should be a way to temporarily remove the letters to cover that upper edge of the bumper cover with the PPF, without cutting the PPF to go around the letters. Essentially the questions is whether it is possible to install the PPF such that there is a layer of film between the bottom of the lettering and the top of the bumper cover, and if so how is that done.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Breen
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
Does anyone know whether there is a way to install PPF on the rear bumper of a 992 GT3 Touring without making cutouts in the film for the raised Porsche lettering above the bumper? My PPF installer is saying he needs to make cutouts for the letters, but it seems to me that there should be a way to temporarily remove the letters to cover that upper edge of the bumper cover with the PPF, without cutting the PPF to go around the letters. Essentially the questions is whether it is possible to install the PPF such that there is a layer of film between the bottom of the lettering and the top of the bumper cover, and if so how is that done.
you should go to a different PPF shop if they don’t know how to do this. I’m shocked.

it’s an owners preference but yes, they can remove the letters and re-attach them on top of the PPF
The following users liked this post:
supershaft (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,765 Likes on 788 Posts

The part with the letters on it is easily removed. There are YouTube videos on it if needed.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

I looked at YouTube and didn’t find anything on removing the black plastic 3D piece that supports the “Porsche” letters. It may be easy but I don’t have the car with me right now, so I can’t just go look at the car. The PPF installer has the car and he is not close.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Breen
Instructor

I looked at YouTube and didn’t find anything on removing the black plastic 3D piece that supports the “Porsche” letters. It may be easy but I don’t have the car with me right now, so I can’t just go look at the car. The PPF installer has the car and he is not close.
Do you mean the model decal or the “P O R S C H E” lettering along the light bar?

Porsche lettering is not removable and does not need PPF
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,224 Likes on 2,083 Posts

He’s referring to the P O R S C H E part. The standard is to cutout, but that area traps a lot of dust/dirt and is what OP is trying to avoid. I’ll take pics tomorrow to show.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Here is a video that shows removal:

Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 656 Likes on 304 Posts

If you mean the script text they remove it by pulling a wire under it and removes the sticker backing. They make a template when you buy a new one at the parts department that puts it back in the same spot. PPF then put it back and then ceramic coat after that.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ukkid74
If you mean the script text they remove it by pulling a wire under it and removes the sticker backing. They make a template when you buy a new one at the parts department that puts it back in the same spot. PPF then put it back and then ceramic coat after that.
I think he means to get to the painted top surface of the bumper that sits under the letters. This area tends to trap dirt and water.
Old Today, 12:12 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
I think he means to get to the painted top surface of the bumper that sits under the letters. This area tends to trap dirt and water.
this
Old Today, 02:15 AM
Breen
Instructor

this
Recommend you use a different shop mate
You are paying lots of money to not deal with these questions
Old Today, 07:37 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
Here is a video that shows removal:

https://youtu.be/mub4Z0fcVxs?si=a8O4TxWZ5pLUuWsK
Video is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
dixonk (Today)

Quick Reply: Porsche lettering above rear bumper and PPF install