Sponsored by:

US Delivery Dates

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 01:27 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,229 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD
I received confirm that it’s not removable. It’s molded directly to the bumper.

It's 100% NOT molded into the bumper. You can fit a little plastic body molding pry bar in between the frame and the bumper. I have no idea what happens if you pull it off, however I was told there would be holes.
The following 2 users liked this post by cosmos:
bblack07 (08-28-2021), nerdtalker (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 02:17 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
It's 100% NOT molded into the bumper. You can fit a little plastic body molding pry bar in between the frame and the bumper. I have no idea what happens if you pull it off, however I was told there would be holes.
lol…. if removal results in damage, that sounds pretty molded man.
when does yours arrive? we’ll remove yours first

Last edited by User 81423; 08-28-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:52 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bblack07
Well, it definitely looks like a separate piece and don't see any screws running through it so maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be removable without damaging anything.
992 bumpers come off fairly easily. I would remove it and examine it from the backside. I'm sure there are fasteners holding that plate holder from the backside.
The following users liked this post:
bblack07 (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 10:50 AM
dieselino
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
992 bumpers come off fairly easily. I would remove it and examine it from the backside. I'm sure there are fasteners holding that plate holder from the backside.
There is no way it is molded in. Porsche would not pay for an entire new rear fascia tool for one market on such a low volume vehicle. (I work in auto, know how this works). It's most definitely a separate part, the question is how is it attached. Double stick tape and fasteners or both. My concern is if it is fastened, will the holes be behind where the plate would go. Fingers crossed that is the case.
bblack07 (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 11:03 AM
bblack07
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselino
There is no way it is molded in. Porsche would not pay for an entire new rear fascia tool for one market on such a low volume vehicle. (I work in auto, know how this works). It's most definitely a separate part, the question is how is it attached. Double stick tape and fasteners or both. My concern is if it is fastened, will the holes be behind where the plate would go. Fingers crossed that is the case.
I was thinking it was probably a double-stick tape and maybe fasteners run through some of the holes they molded into the European plate location (hopefully inside the US plate dimensions). If so, I'd think there could be a fairly simple solution, but who knows. I agree that it's not molded in as that would suggest it's all one integral piece and not mechanically connected. Whoever passed along the info that it was molded in probably just misused some terminology.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen anything on this yet. It took an entire 3 days for people to start taking their damn wings off their cars to see if they could just do the ducktail.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:06 AM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

your sentence does not make sense either,

i doubt they have glued the extra parts and if they have put holes on there they have a mold with two injection options : one for the bumber with holes and another without the holes.
if this is the case, why not make a mold with two options (extra mini bumber ratter than holes or no holes) ratter than doing two molds ? (a mold for the bumber and an extra one that contains the mini bumpers)

i dont think the mold for the rear bumber is more than 20k, this is penauts for porsche,

my guess is two separated molds, USA market should be half of the whole gt3 production for sure

Last edited by JoeGT3; 08-28-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:33 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by bblack07
I was thinking it was probably a double-stick tape and maybe fasteners run through some of the holes they molded into the European plate location (hopefully inside the US plate dimensions). If so, I'd think there could be a fairly simple solution, but who knows. I agree that it's not molded in as that would suggest it's all one integral piece and not mechanically connected. Whoever passed along the info that it was molded in probably just misused some terminology.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen anything on this yet. It took an entire 3 days for people to start taking their damn wings off their cars to see if they could just do the ducktail.
Of course I haven't seen it, but the experience with my Taycan may be insightful. For the Taycan, there is a similar, albeit nicer looking, license plate holder added to the rear bumper to provide the 5mph protection. I actually used it when I square on backed into a car in my driveway going 3. I decided I wanted to replace it to remove a scratch (no damage). The added holder used a couple a screws that mount the holder to the rear bumper. It is secure, but not terribly secure. You can't just pull it off. The license plate holder then screws into this structure rather than the rear bumper. I didn't do the replacement, but when I did inspect it, it looks like the standard bumper simply has a little extra material to be able to accept a couple of screws. That way, it appears, different bumperettes or plates can be added.

bblack07 (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 11:41 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Two things
1) Sounds like there is going to be a flow of grey market bumper covers to the US if you can't remove this
2) I can think of thousands of better looking design options that would cover up any possible hole pattern on the rear bumper. Sounds like Rennline will have a new product opportunity. I need to buy some black PETG for the printer.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 08-28-2021 at 11:53 AM.
michaeldorian (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 02:40 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

It sounds like there will be a lot of secondary market 992 GT3's for sale in the coming weeks with statements like "I didnt expect the bumper supports to be here so Ive decided to sell and pickup "xxx" car" - of course at adjusted market prices

I believe this is a law across all states that there are certain bumper requirements, someone who has a car delivered could maybe verify some of the laws: - FL for example:

Owners of automobiles and pickup trucks are required to have both front and rear bumpers mounted within certain height levels. Height limitations are governed by the new shipping weight of the vehicle; not the modified or altered weight. The maximum allowable heights between the pavement and bottom of the front and rear bumper, as provided by Section 316.251, Florida Statutes, are:
  • Cars with a net weight of less than 2,500 pounds — 22 inches front and rear;
  • Cars 2,500 pounds or more but less than 3,500 pounds — 24 inches front and 26 inches rear;
  • Cars 3,500 pounds or more — 27 inches front; 29 inches rear;
  • Trucks under 2,000 — 24 inches front; 26 inches rear;
  • Trucks 2,000 pounds or more but less than 3,000 pounds — 27 inches front, and 29 inches rear;
  • Trucks 3,000 pounds or more but not more than 5,000 pounds — 28 inches front; 30 inches rear.
It makes me think that in the US those "ears" are meeting US DOT requirements where as they are perhaps not the case in the other countries. So I personally will just live with it as I cant see them when driving.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:21 PM
dieselino
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeGT3
your sentence does not make sense either,

i doubt they have glued the extra parts and if they have put holes on there they have a mold with two injection options : one for the bumber with holes and another without the holes.
if this is the case, why not make a mold with two options (extra mini bumber ratter than holes or no holes) ratter than doing two molds ? (a mold for the bumber and an extra one that contains the mini bumpers)

i dont think the mold for the rear bumber is more than 20k, this is penauts for porsche,

my guess is two separated molds, USA market should be half of the whole gt3 production for sure
My sentence makes perfect sense. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about if you think a fascia tool cost $20k. Not even going to debate this.

Last edited by dieselino; 08-28-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:28 PM
Porsche992GT3
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmrdmd
My Carrera White is on the Goodwood with delivery to the dealer listed as 8/20 (moved upfrom 9/17)

my car is very similar! Base White, just missing the Porsche Decal

Old 08-28-2021, 04:42 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992GT3
my car is very similar! Base White, just missing the Porsche Decal

😍😍😍 Love white!!! Congrats guys. Looks so good.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:21 PM
gt3dude
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 74 Posts

Someone give us good news! Who’s picked up yet
Old 08-28-2021, 06:41 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

My sentence makes perfect sense. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about if you think a fascia tool cost $20k. Not even going to debate this.
i payed and saw quite some molds , never that large as the ones needed to make a back bumper (my molds are not automotive molds), so yes i have an idea about how mold injection works, what i dont know about is how much an automotive mold costs but we have you here to tell us about this, so please tell us, i am interested to hear about that
Old 08-28-2021, 07:02 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Why would Porsche make a separate complete back bumper only for the US, when they can simply add the little bumper thing like they do on other models??

Quick Reply: US Delivery Dates