Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 and Profession

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:33 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

33 year old Argentinian here (I live in Denver, CO). I'm a Sales Engineer and my first Porsche (991 GTS) goes in production in November.

I'm a rare engineer that can talk with customers, so I do really well I just love so many of my toys. Have a Ducati 1299 Panigale Anniversario I got last year (So stupidly fast) and a Jeep Wrangler I bought this year (as my Winter/off road rig). My 911 is going to replace my F56 JCW I got two years ago (that car was a huge disappointment IMO).

My wife is an Aerospace Engineer and she drives a Tesla Model S. Only problem is that I wish I had a bigger garage
Old 07-18-2017, 07:50 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
...and a Jeep Wrangler I bought this year (as my Winter/off road rig).
If you get into that little hobby you'll find out two surprising things:

A) how pretty much every single part you just bought from Jeep needs replaced with a similar part from an aftermarket company, and

B) if you're used to BMW or Porsche OEM and aftermarket prices, how incredibly cheap Jeep stuff is (everything except tires.) For instance, I just bought a new set of aftermarket 17x9 wheels; people on Wrangler.com were scandalized that I'd paid $199 per wheel when most of the standard Jeep 17" choices are in the $139-159 range.

Big tires, unfortunately, are in the $3-$400 range, and you need 5 of them.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 AM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engineer but not a number cruncher. Retired as a university faculty member 10 years ago after 30 years of teaching but always did consulting on the side and continue to do a little but trying to wind down. Always been into cars and motorcycles since a very little kid. Got into sports cars in my early teens when a neighbor's son-in-law returned from tour of Army duty in Germany with a '59 Jag XK150, black coupe with red leather and chrome wire wheels, still the most beautiful engine I've seen in a car.

Got into Porsches around 35 years ago, '77 924 from '82 to '92, '86 944 from '92 to '06, '97 993 from '06 to last spring, now '14 2S. I love the aesthetics and the mechanical aspects of the designs, not to mention the performance. I think Porsche has the best of designers and engineers in the industry and and I like the clean, less-is-more style of virtually all of the current models though I get a little concerned about whether that is still a dominant theme at Porsche and will continue to be. I read where I think it was Ferry Porsche that told the designers who were working on the Cayenne that he wanted to see no creases and in a nut shell that sums up what I think about the cars.

Pete
Old 07-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

I suppose it's that time again .....

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential. Where do I begin ? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament... My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon... luge lessons... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets... When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds — pretty standard, really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Vilmer ritualistically shaved my *********. There really is nothing like a shorn ******* — it's breathtaking... I suggest you try it."
Old 07-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Jaxgm
Cruisin'

I'm still laughing from Benedict14's Dr. Evil introduction, good one! I'm an engineer, saw my first Porsche sometime in the early 70's and was obsessed. Didn't know anything about cost, budgets, raising a family, etc. Agree with Freeman727, set money aside and take care of the main things, house, kids, etc. Did all that, got the kids through college and paid off the house. Saw one we liked, and purchased it. I'm not a flashy personality by any means, the car is Guards Red. I'm still getting used to the color, but liked everything else about it. Now I find excuses to get on an open stretch of road, it's a blast to drive!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:09 PM
Jaxgm
Cruisin'

Forgot to mention - I like most classic cars, not just Porsches. I almost left my table last weekend at the restaurant when I saw a well maintained orange MGB pull into the parking lot. That wouldn't have gone over too well with my wife.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
I suppose it's that time again .....

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential. Where do I begin ? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament... My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon... luge lessons... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets... When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds — pretty standard, really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Vilmer ritualistically shaved my *********. There really is nothing like a shorn ******* — it's breathtaking... I suggest you try it."
Otherwise a normal childhood.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let me have my PTS GT3 allocation now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will call you everyday.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:20 PM
driveline
Advanced

20yr career Mechanical Engineer. Stayed out of Detroit. Performed Automotive transmission and driveline testing for a R&D company. Spending so much effort on evaluating designs just to see them get VA/VE'd. Drives me nuts. I then fell in love with older German cars.

Was looking for a 996 in 12 and kept getting pushed to buy an air cooled. Found a 96 Iris Blue Coupe. Can't get much different than a rear engine air cooled sports car.

When my wife turned xx. She said "where's mine?" First bought a CTT, that was too fast for too heavy of a car. Now its a Cayenne Platinum edition. I sleep better.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:07 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
If you get into that little hobby you'll find out two surprising things:

A) how pretty much every single part you just bought from Jeep needs replaced with a similar part from an aftermarket company, and

B) if you're used to BMW or Porsche OEM and aftermarket prices, how incredibly cheap Jeep stuff is (everything except tires.) For instance, I just bought a new set of aftermarket 17x9 wheels; people on Wrangler.com were scandalized that I'd paid $199 per wheel when most of the standard Jeep 17" choices are in the $139-159 range.

Big tires, unfortunately, are in the $3-$400 range, and you need 5 of them.

Oh yeah I love how cheap parts are. I had about a 2 year break (had a 07 and 12 JK) from Jeep and came across a unicorn I've been wanting for years, a 2005 LJ Rubicon in a 6 speed in Impact Orange (a must in my wife's eyes) that was bone stock. Been fixing it up this summer (New LED lights all around, new radiator, new fluids, plugs, brand new sound system, my detailer cleaned up the paint amazingly). I want to get it in tip top shape before I start lifting it off the ground next year.

Now the part I have left is the hard stuff. The rear main has been leaking for a long while before I even got this, dripping all sorts of **** on the clutch. So I have to do a rear main seal and clutch since everything will be out. But the big thing that pains me, is the heater core has a small leak and I have to take out the dashboard to get to it... I tell my wife all "Just Empty Every Pocket"
Old 07-19-2017, 12:28 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Heater core is comparatively easy on a TJ. Try doing one on a Range Rover classic ....

One thing you learn working on different cars is how different the engineering is. Porsche everything is designed with just enough space that if you do the steps in a very particular sequence the repair is possible. On a TJ or an old Land Rover you can stand in the engine bay if you need to. At least with the old porsches pulling the engine was easy. Not so much with a 991.2 I am guessing ....
Old 07-19-2017, 01:38 AM
Gr8ful1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Retired military Avaitor
Now professionally unemployed.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:39 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
...a unicorn I've been wanting for years, a 2005 LJ Rubicon in a 6 speed in Impact Orange (a must in my wife's eyes) that was bone stock.
Congrats! My best friend is the original owner of a 2006 LJ Rubicon 6M, black. He just turned 24,000 miles on it. Far from stock now, but all work has been done professionally and parts chosen wisely. He even has a 31.5 gallon GenRight gas tank. I usually drive my JK to Utah once or twice a year, but we're trailering them both this time, in September.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I'm a retired electrical engineer and have successively owned 4 Porsches since retiring in Feb 2014. I traded a Macan Turbo for this loaded CPO C2S a year ago with 3100 miles on it. It's the best yet.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:17 PM
porsche_love
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's fascinating learning about fellow rennlist members' professions. I'm in sales, and I've been fortunate to go through financial downturns and mistakes in my 20s and recover to learn from them, to now at a much better financial position. I bought my 991.1 last year when I turned 30 to celebrate my hard work, I truly feel blessed to be able to own this vehicle as my weekend car. Like many members here, I came from a long fleet of BMWs, although I still like BMW M cars, I do feel that I would have a Porsche in my garage for the rest of my days, if situations permit obviously.

Quick Reply: 911 and Profession