Sponsored by:

911 and Profession

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:05 PM
TSOS
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kuma1416
There is more truth to that than you may realize. Want to know who the highest paid healthcare provider is in most towns? Cardiac surgeon, neurosurgeon, orthopedic surgeon? Nope, its the orthodontist. Physician pay schedules have been slashed almost every year for the past 2 decades. Dentists on the other hand, have far greater leeway in raising fees and can balance bill. Cost for braces 25 yrs ago was around 2000$. Today its 5-6000$. The most common Medicare surgery on the other hand , cataract removal, reimbursed 3000$ 2 decades ago. Now its a little over 600$. Similar trend for things like colonoscopy and cardiac caths. A lot of those physicians you see aren't driving Hondas because they're necessarily frugal- it's because they have 250-300K in outstanding loans, a couple kids and decreasing pay every year.
true statement. I have a family full of healthcare providers. My brother is a general dentist and I'm an oral surgeon. My two younger brothers are in residency. I told them to think long and hard about their career move. Ones in urology residency so he'll be just fine. Several of those that came before me that were on the physician side cautioned me when I started in schooling to maybe look into dentistry and I'm glad I did. Medicine is a great field don't get me wrong. In my line of work I get the best of both world.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:00 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Most of these replies come from people in the health professions. I am the lower end of the scale as I am a University professor who has taught medical students for 38 years. I bought my first new Porsche (a 914 2l) when I was 40 yoa in 1974 and an assistant professor. I subsequently bought new '87, '89, '95, 2013 and 2015 911s. I was fortunate to have a wife who earned a decent, but not spectacular, living. She was a big fan of Porsches. Every time I asked if I could look, she said, "go for it". In addition, beginning with the '89, I made sure I could pay cash for every car otherwise I would not make the plunge.I have paid cash for every Porsche since. Every enthusiast can afford a new Porsche as long as they are temperate in their approach. Imagine! A university professor has owned 6 new Porsches with great thought. We are far from wealthy as the health professionals. We just kept our Porsches for the right time to sell/trade and negotiated nice deals with dealers. For example, I was driving my '87 911 coupe through Columbia, SC on December 23, 1989. We stopped to look at the local Porsche dealer who had a knockout black-on-black '89 Targa in his showroom. We talked about it and negotiated. The bottom line is that I had no check in my posession with reasonable cash and I did not have the title to my '87. I drove home in the Targa on December 26 and mailed them the title and a check on December 28 for $22,000 for the Targa I had just driven home. They had my '87 coupe.

That is how I have bought my Porsches since 1974. Look at my Porsches on my Avatar if anyone is interested.

I only ask for no unkind statements that may come occasionally from Rennlist. I am a long-time member.
The following users liked this post:
pirate949 (09-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:11 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
I'm 35 and for the last 10 years I've been a wealth management advisor. I now run a private client services team of 8 at one of the largest firms in the industry. I have:
2016 C4S
2017 Panamera
2013 Raptor
2012 Boss 302

I put a ton of money away and my fascination with cars is something that I know will never make sense financially.

That being said I work mostly with business owners, physicians, etc and I tell them all the same: so long as you're on track for your goals that you care about spend your money in ways that make you happy. Who cares what other people think. If you've done the work, save 20-30% of your income, and have your affairs in order who is someone else to judge you on how you spend the other 70-80%?
Good advise. Figure out how much for basic life expenses (food/shelter/clothes/education/kids/insurance/utilities/etc.), savings (very indvidual) and other duties (parents/alimony/pets/etc). Any leftover money can be considered play money. Gift for wife, 2nd home, gadgets, Porsches, etc.

Unless you are sitting on a huge pile of cash without significant liabilites, you never know when that stream of income will dry up. The point is get it now. Getting to this point of affording one is enough delayed gratification. At least this is my opinion.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:31 PM
Jammin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also oral surgeon here. Most of my medical colleagues drive "safe" cars such as toyotas and hondas with an occasional acura or lexus or mb. Urologist friend just bought a new jaguar f type convertible and the local radiologist has a 650 convert. and 535, sort of off the curve. However, the hip replacement orthropod has multiple of just about every exotic car available. I had to help him slide his key card into the doctors lot reader once when he showed up in his lambo.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:32 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 276 Posts

Trial Lawyer.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:36 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Retired high class hustler. Used to drive a Jeep Wrangler made by Dieter Zetsche during my trade years
Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Doctor.

Lot of assumptions in this thread about physicians, specialty income, etc etc. There are far too many variables to make sweeping statements. There is an exception for every rule and the calling to this field is more than just income. I'll leave it at that.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:02 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

rk-d
Do you want to be specific with your mysterious missive. It may help we unwashed masses.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:04 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by freeman
rk-d
Do you want to be specific with your mysterious missive. It may help we unwashed masses.
Not really
Old 07-16-2017, 08:05 PM
freeman727
Racer

Originally Posted by freeman
Most of these replies come from people in the health professions. I am the lower end of the scale as I am a University professor who has taught medical students for 38 years. I bought my first new Porsche (a 914 2l) when I was 40 yoa in 1974 and an assistant professor. I subsequently bought new '87, '89, '95, 2013 and 2015 911s. I was fortunate to have a wife who earned a decent, but not spectacular, living. She was a big fan of Porsches. Every time I asked if I could look, she said, "go for it". In addition, beginning with the '89, I made sure I could pay cash for every car otherwise I would not make the plunge.I have paid cash for every Porsche since. Every enthusiast can afford a new Porsche as long as they are temperate in their approach. Imagine! A university professor has owned 6 new Porsches with great thought. We are far from wealthy as the health professionals. We just kept our Porsches for the right time to sell/trade and negotiated nice deals with dealers. For example, I was driving my '87 911 coupe through Columbia, SC on December 23, 1989. We stopped to look at the local Porsche dealer who had a knockout black-on-black '89 Targa in his showroom. We talked about it and negotiated. The bottom line is that I had no check in my posession with reasonable cash and I did not have the title to my '87. I drove home in the Targa on December 26 and mailed them the title and a check on December 28 for $22,000 for the Targa I had just driven home. They had my '87 coupe.

That is how I have bought my Porsches since 1974. Look at my Porsches on my Avatar if anyone is interested.

I only ask for no unkind statements that may come occasionally from Rennlist. I am a long-time member.
I think that my perspective on purchasing luxury items will change later on in my career when the reality of retirement comes.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:06 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

I grow approx 1 million bougainvillea every year. Owned many Porshii most of em 356.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:10 PM
freeman727
Racer

Originally Posted by rk-d
Doctor.

Lot of assumptions in this thread about physicians, specialty income, etc etc. There are far too many variables to make sweeping statements. There is an exception for every rule and the calling to this field is more than just income. I'll leave it at that.

Well the point point of my post is to figure out motivating factors besides money. A lot of people in my field like cars a lot but don't pull the trigger. BTW, psychology was my undergrad major.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I know a number of people who could afford cars far nicer than mine and choose not to. I'm sure you do as well.

Invariably, these people have other pursuits - travel, boats, ranches, farms, beach homes. Then there are the liabilities - multiple kids, multiple wives, excessive debt.

Alot of doctors don't feel comfortable having patients see them drive a nice car. Alot of them are nerds and don't really care about cars.

If you think about it - we're the outliers here.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:35 PM
freeman727
Racer

Originally Posted by rk-d
I know a number of people who could afford cars far nicer than mine and choose not to. I'm sure you do as well.

Invariably, these people have other pursuits - travel, boats, ranches, farms, beach homes. Then there are the liabilities - multiple kids, multiple wives, excessive debt.

Alot of doctors don't feel comfortable having patients see them drive a nice car. Alot of them are nerds and don't really care about cars.

If you think about it - we're the outliers here.
Everyone has their vices.

I can't think of any better vice than performance cars. I guess I'm stuck as a little boy and playing with toy cars.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:37 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Not a doctor, not a lawyer, not an entrepreneur. Love cars, though...

Quick Reply: 911 and Profession