Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Akrapovic are always superb.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:32 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
It's more about Porsche's headers that really can't be beaten. If porsche did 200 cel cats in our cars from the factory you couldn't do better, but seeing as they are 400 or whatever cel...the 200 does allow for some better breathing. The OEM mufflers are normally heavy but they do tend to have pretty good performance. You're only ever really playing with maybe 1-2 real hp when replacing that stuff...granted the aftermarket ones are normally a lot lighter...so taking that 25-30 lbs off generally has a decent effect as well.
Ummm, if you look at 991.2 it does not have Headers like 991.1 The point two have the ugly old LOG type. So there is plenty to be gained with a decent set of headers in a point 2.

Vektor Headers 991.2

I had a full Akra on my M4 and loved it. I want to get an Akra and these bad boys.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:54 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Ummm, if you look at 991.2 it does not have Headers like 991.1 The point two have the ugly old LOG type. So there is plenty to be gained with a decent set of headers in a point 2.

Vektor Headers 991.2

I had a full Akra on my M4 and loved it. I want to get an Akra and these bad boys.

I've been looking at these as well. Would like to see a dyno sheet showing the gains, but most importantly, the low end of the curve, as I don' want additional lag.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:06 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

I am thinking to install Akrapovic sport cats to the existing OEM PSE in a 991.2 GTS 2018. Does anyone knows if this is possible?
Is it worthy the upgrade or not?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
I am thinking to install Akrapovic sport cats to the existing OEM PSE in a 991.2 GTS 2018. Does anyone knows if this is possible?
Is it worthy the upgrade or not?
Should work just fine...Akra slip on and OEM center muffler are the same size which allow for either: OEM cats, aftermarket bypass pipes or aftermarket sport cats.

Are sport cats worth it in .2 GTS...hell ya it is.
Although, I am not convinced the Akra version is worth the price over say Soul Performance.

Prior to ordering, I went back and forth since I wanted to have everything match my Akra slip on (mainly due to my OCD).
But after speaking with Akra reps and Soul reps, I opted to go Soul Performance sport cats for Akra slip on...after removing the bypass pipes.

Soul performance building my specific set of sport cats.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:52 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Prior to ordering, I went back and forth since I wanted to have everything match my Akra slip on (mainly due to my OCD).
But after speaking with Akra reps and Soul reps, I opted to go Soul Performance sport cats for Akra slip on...after removing the bypass pipes.
Soul performance building my specific set of sport cats.
Thanks for the feedback.what is the difference between Soul Performance sport cats Vs Akrapovic?

As I read somewhere OEM GTS cats are 400 cells and in case of 200 cells the noise and performance increase in a good level.

I am based in EU therefore not many options available as US.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2018, 09:16 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Thanks for the feedback.what is the difference between Soul Performance sport cats Vs Akrapovic?

As I read somewhere OEM GTS cats are 400 cells and in case of 200 cells the noise and performance increase in a good level.

I am based in EU therefore not many options available as US.

Thanks
Soul and Akra both are 200 cell but I think Akra cats are Titanium compared to Soul’s stainless. Because of the material, Akra cats end up being almost half more than Souls. I have a brand new never installed soul cat, I can sell to you if your interested.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Alexd1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the Akra system with cats last week and hope to install soon. I’ll post a review vs pse in a few weeks. I’m soooo excited. I’m in an S but should be similar results. I’ll probably do a before and after dyno too.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:06 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Soapman72
I've been looking at these as well. Would like to see a dyno sheet showing the gains, but most importantly, the low end of the curve, as I don' want additional lag.

Word is they'll be available for purchase in July or so.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

Looks good. Im sure these headers will work nicely with my Akra slip on and Soul cats.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:38 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25

Soul and Akra both are 200 cell but I think Akra cats are Titanium compared to Soul’s stainless. Because of the material, Akra cats end up being almost half more than Souls. I have a brand new never installed soul cat, I can sell to you if your interested.
Pretty sure only the AKRA slip on is titanium, which saves 10 lbs.
IIRC, the Akra sport cat link pipes are stainless and therefore, not appreciable weight difference from Soul Sport Cats...

Which is why I could NOT justify spending nearly twice as much for the Akra sport cats.

Last edited by BlazinPond; 05-06-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:50 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexd1
I ordered the Akra system with cats last week and hope to install soon. I’ll post a review vs pse in a few weeks. I’m soooo excited. I’m in an S but should be similar results. I’ll probably do a before and after dyno too.
That will be great. Looking forward for your feedback.

Dyno before and after will be very helpful to determine the upgrade benefits.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:58 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

Has anyone posted a walk through on the exhaust/cat installation? Akrapovic says to remove the rear bumper, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary. If it really helps to remove the bumper, then I guess I'll install my BMC air filter at the same time.

I didn' have much luck searching, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd sincerely appreciate it.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Soapman72
Has anyone posted a walk through on the exhaust/cat installation? Akrapovic says to remove the rear bumper, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary. If it really helps to remove the bumper, then I guess I'll install my BMC air filter at the same time.

I didn' have much luck searching, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd sincerely appreciate it.
ifs possibly to do it without removing it but it will take some extra effort since there isn’t much room. To remove the filters on the 991.2, you have to remove the spoiler and it’s a bit involved.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:26 AM
Soapman72
Advanced

So, a friend and I installed the cats, exhaust, and a BMW air filter yesterday. It was pretty involved. Took about 4 hours, I guess. My buddy is pretty familiar with these cars, and I was greatful that he was able to do this with me. I don't think I would try to tackle this on my own.

The car is absolutely transformed! Sound was good before, if a bit quiet. Now, this thing sounds AMAZING. I highly recommend the Soul cats, and the Akrapovic exhaust is a work of art. With valves closed, the car is nearly as quiet as stock, but it does get a little loud at around 2200-2500 rpm or so when under load. This is more pronounced with the valves opened. The sound, in loud mode is absolutely killer. Even at idle, in sport mode, the car sounds pretty awesome. More spool sound, some slight whistle from the turbo. I'm not sure if the bmc filter is contributing to this, or not, but I am super happy.

Regarding performance, the car does seem to spool quicker and maybe picked up some throttle response. If it's making more power, the gains are pretty mild, but I don't notice any drawbacks to this mod, aside from the cost. Along with the 14 or 15 lbs the new setup saves, my wallet is lighter too, so I should be faster, right?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Akrapovic exhaust for GTS - anyone going aftermarket