Sponsored by:

2018 GTS Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:07 AM
deichenb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 GTS Build

So after reading, researching, driving, seeing cars in-person and lurking on this site, here is the planned build. Spring 2018 Zuffenhausen delivery:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJFCJT58

I may also go with Agate in the interior. I think either is more interesting than black.

Here are my remaining uncertainties:

Deviating carpet in black - can I get this?
4-way vs 14-way vs 18-way; I need to spend more time sitting in these choices.
- does seat choice affect mirror pointing down in reverse?
- does seat choice affect power wheel adjustment?
Burmeister vs Bose... will be a choice after listening.
Instrument surround in leather?

I realize it's a high MSRP car, but I think it's the configuration I want.

Last edited by deichenb; 07-15-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-15-2017, 09:22 AM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

18, Bose and just do the surround. Done. 18 way superior to the 14, anything above Bose (which is decent in the 911) is a waste of money due to the noise inside the car. Even more so in the GTS which is noisier with less insulation and piping into the car.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:33 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

It's an awesome build - just two things, PDCC will obviously really flatten out the corners, if that's what you're going for it's great, but if you're driving on the street with SPASM I really don't think you'll use it a lot. PDCC was originally designed fir the Cayenne and us used on the big turbo because it's a little heavier.

On the interior, it's going to look stunning but in terms of resale it may not be for everyone.

I'm jealous about the European Delivery - you're going to have an epic time!!!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:53 AM
deichenb
Instructor

Thanks for the comments - please consider that this will be a DD, garaged at home and covered at the office. It will have DD mileage and I'm not buying it for short-term resale.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I would seriously consider a sunroof if for no other reason than resale - there are 20 buyers for a car with a sunroof for one who doesn't want a sunroof. The rear wheel steering is ok but does it really matter? Check out the base 911 that Porsche of Tampa Bay has in Graphite Blue - the interior is really unique - I would be willing to bet that it was a canceled order the way it is equipped.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
It's an awesome build - just two things, PDCC will obviously really flatten out the corners, if that's what you're going for it's great, but if you're driving on the street with SPASM I really don't think you'll use it a lot. PDCC was originally designed fir the Cayenne and us used on the big turbo because it's a little heavier.

On the interior, it's going to look stunning but in terms of resale it may not be for everyone.

I'm jealous about the European Delivery - you're going to have an epic time!!!
PDCC will also give you a nicer ride which is probably even more important with SPASM vs PASM. (SPASM is a lot stiffer than PASM). Not sure what you mean by "us used on big turbo" because it was available on the 991.1 with either PASM or SPASM, since it was launched.

PDCC is always on, when equipped. You can adjust chassis settings but PDCC is an active system.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:41 PM
deichenb
Instructor

Yes, the PDCC addition is mostly to help the DD ride quality. I truly want this build to reflect the GTS as I think the model is evisioned: a street 911 which is still competent and fun at a track day 2-3 times/year.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:21 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

First off I absolutely love the color combo - I would go with it. The only thing I wonder about is if your are not going PDK then you don't really care that much about lap times. In that case maybe you might think about saving $$ by foregoing the PDCC and rear wheel steering etc. which you won't really notice much unless your driving hard core and upgrading your options in your interior, sport design, sun roof etc. I think a chalk stitch with chalk belt and white instruments would really make espresso "pop" with the blue exterior. Also since you are using carbon fiber on the gear shifter and door sills I would use it consistently throughout including the side mirrors. I believe you would be really happy with that upgrade. I left the Burmeister but that is a very expensive option and I find the Bose very good in a pretty noisy car. Try viewing this interior in 360 mode so you can see the stitching contrast.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ4787I2
Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

YESSS! A manual.

Beautiful color combo too.

Get it man.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:01 PM
deichenb
Instructor

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kudos for the 7-speed and recommendations on the interior. Please don't be shy with specific changes you would make.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:10 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Real wheel drive SPASM without PDCC provides the most fun "traditional sports car" feel with almost no lean in cornering. PDCC totally removes the minor roll and provides the ultimate in contact patch management under fast cornering conditions- but almost to "video game" levels. Either way your build will thrill on road or track.

I would not get PDCC personally and would blow the savings on something I could touch, feel, see and grin about!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:27 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Real wheel drive SPASM without PDCC provides the most fun "traditional sports car" feel with almost no lean in cornering. PDCC totally removes the minor roll and provides the ultimate in contact patch management under fast cornering conditions- but almost to "video game" levels. Either way your build will thrill on road or track.

I would not get PDCC personally and would blow the savings on something I could touch, feel, see and grin about!
like... Fabspeed headers?
Old 07-15-2017, 11:24 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Other than the interior trim painted, I love it. I would do leather trim. Consider air vents in leather. They add a lot to an expresso interior. I would also skip the model logo center console as all it is is the embossing for $340. It is still leather standard. Especially because you are doing crests on the seats, the model logo seems to clash on the console.

I vote 4 way sport seat plus. BUT you have to try them as the limited adjustment may not work for you. Sport plus with leather backs are so beautiful. Especially in expresso.

Expresso as a natural leather is vastly superior to agate.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:25 AM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would absolutely recommend the Burmester sound system. It's way better than the Bose, but I admit, I have a passionate hatred for all things Bose which borders on electronic racism.

I'd rather have a car delivered with a delete sound system option than come with Bose stuff in it.

I'll never give a penny to Bose, not even indirectly, if I have any say in the matter.

But that's just me.

In all other respects I like your build spec.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:28 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 678 Likes on 372 Posts

Don't waste your money on the 18. The 14 are awesome. 2500 mile road trip with me and the wife, no problem. We love them.

Yes do Burmester and don't let anyone tell you the Bose is good enough. It is HORRIBLE if you like to listen to any music at all.

Enjoy.

Quick Reply: 2018 GTS Build