Sponsored by:

Considering buying high milleage 991S, need advice on the price

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
The car OP posted is by far the lowest priced 991S in the country. I found it online. Every other 991S is $12k+ more. The lowest priced 991S I see from a dealer with any spec is $68k.
If it's at $55k, it's getting close to reasonable. I was saying at $65k, it's nuts.

And Porsche asking prices are meaningless. Most Porsche dealers/owners hit the crack pipe before they post their for sale ads. They do so I think because there seem to always be some buyers out there blinded by the Porsche brand who don't do their research. As they say, it only takes one.

That car is a $50k car max IMO. Crazy to pay more than that for a 5 year old 911 with 70k miles and out of warranty. But people do foolish things with their money all the time.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Even at 226K I had the original clutch in it and I drove that car like I stole it.

Trying to wrap my mind around that; failing.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:43 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosell
Trying to wrap my mind around that; failing.
I was in college (Florida State University) , bought that used 911E (1970) working as a motorcycle mechanic through school - we made good money in the service dept. Like any 21-year-old with a car habit, I was not easy on that car in the least. I got it with 28K on the odometer.

I remember watching a TV show on how Porsche made a 911 into some off-road specials and they were kicking butt:

So what the heck. Let's go do fireroads in the nearby Apalachicola National Forest in my stock 911 and see how it goes. Grabbed a buddy and off we went, jumping and flying the car over hill and dale at 70 mph in the woods. And that 911 never broke, never missed a beat. I autocrossed it when the Corvette club had their events and pretty much drove it as hard as I could. I've never owned any other brand as tough as a Porsche. So that's why when I see the nay nannies here on Rennlist speculate a 911 is used up at 70K miles I just laugh and think about flying through the woods in mine abusing it like no one would ever dream of doing to a 991. It was still running well at 226K miles when I sold it, but the air conditioner had finally quit, so it was a tad hot in South Florida without it, my girlfriend was complaining about sweaty dinner dates.....

And don't you know I wish I still had that first 911, today. Here's the only photo I have of it (and me in a cheap suit) with about 120,000 miles on it when this was taken. And yes, I laboriously removed all the chrome trim from the car and painted it black myself before it was cool to have blacked out trim and wheels.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:02 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

That car is a $50k car max IMO. Crazy to pay more than that for a 5 year old 911 with 70k miles and out of warranty.
+1
Old 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

I was in college (Florida State University) , bought that used 911E (1970) working as a motorcycle mechanic through school - we made good money in the service dept. Like any 21-year-old with a car habit, I was not easy on that car in the least. I got it with 28K on the odometer.

I remember watching a TV show on how Porsche made a 911 into some off-road specials and they were kicking butt:

So what the heck. Let's go do fireroads in the nearby Apalachicola National Forest in my stock 911 and see how it goes. Grabbed a buddy and off we went, jumping and flying the car over hill and dale at 70 mph in the woods. And that 911 never broke, never missed a beat. I autocrossed it when the Corvette club had their events and pretty much drove it as hard as I could. I've never owned any other brand as tough as a Porsche. So that's why when I see the nay nannies here on Rennlist speculate a 911 is used up at 70K miles I just laugh and think about flying through the woods in mine abusing it like no one would ever dream of doing to a 991. It was still running well at 226K miles when I sold it, but the air conditioner had finally quit, so it was a tad hot in South Florida without it, my girlfriend was complaining about sweaty dinner dates.....

And don't you know I wish I still had that first 911, today. Here's the only photo I have of it (and me in a cheap suit) with about 120,000 miles on it when this was taken. And yes, I laboriously removed all the chrome trim from the car and painted it black myself before it was cool to have blacked out trim and wheels.

Best post on Rennlist!
Old 07-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Drive and enjoy. Don't worry about it's value at the end of use.

My car is hopefully going to be worn out and worth as much as a VW Beetle when I'm done with it.
Way to go!! Life's too short to worry about depreciation or repairs and high mileage. As long as I'm not the one breaking down, the house and cars are fixable problems...
Old 07-13-2017, 05:52 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche Jeff
On Manheim recent transactions of a 911S with 55-64K miles was $47-$50K which is wholesale auction. I hope that helps.
This is great hard data.

A seller asking $5-8k over wholesale sounds like a good starting point. He's not pretending the car is worth $70k and looking to haggle. If you like the spec, all is well with the car, and there aren't any stories, I'd find it worth the full asking price. (You can always try to negotiate anyways.) If not I guess you have to sort that out.

In any case if you buy it that low it won't depreciate a great deal further before the value hits a floor.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:54 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteducktail
Best post on Rennlist!
QFT
Old 07-13-2017, 06:58 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

If it's at $55k, it's getting close to reasonable. I was saying at $65k, it's nuts.

And Porsche asking prices are meaningless. Most Porsche dealers/owners hit the crack pipe before they post their for sale ads. They do so I think because there seem to always be some buyers out there blinded by the Porsche brand who don't do their research. As they say, it only takes one.

That car is a $50k car max IMO. Crazy to pay more than that for a 5 year old 911 with 70k miles and out of warranty. But people do foolish things with their money all the time.
The car OP mentioned has some pretty nice extras included and seems to be well maintained. AWE exhaust, Xpel, Champion paddle shifters for multifunction wheel, etc. $55k is more than fair and it looks like it was just reduced from $60k. Someone will almost surely buy it at asking price.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
The car OP mentioned has some pretty nice extras included and seems to be well maintained. AWE exhaust, Xpel, Champion paddle shifters for multifunction wheel, etc. $55k is more than fair and it looks like it was just reduced from $60k. Someone will almost surely buy it at asking price.
Those add-ons add zero value to the car on resale, and I'm already considering it was a $127k car new. Whoever buys it for $55k will be overpaying, but whatever whatev. He asked for opinions. My opinion is that it's not worth the ask. But money's cheap and asset values are inflated at the moment. This is always the time in the economic cycle when the worst decisions about money are made.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:25 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

The reality is that these cars are an emotional purchase, and you could always pull the AWE exhaust off and recoup some cost pretty easily, but 55k asking seems fair. 50k is a great deal, most likely you might end up somewhere in between. Truly splitting hairs at this point. At the end of the day, any purchase of a daily driven 911 is probably not the best financial decision.

I would have zero hesitation buying a higher mileage 991S. Assuming maintenance was properly followed and it comes back with a clean PPI.

Also if you really want a warranty, I am sure someone will sell you one.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:53 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

If you have the VIN, type it into this site: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/instan...rthMainMenuNav
Old 08-06-2017, 01:28 AM
mariodesmo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, I ran my first 911 to 118,000 miles, then did the valve guides, cam chain tensioners, transmission synchros, and heat exchangers and then drove it to 226,000 miles before selling it. Pretty much it was bulletproof and required little but tires and brake pads. Even at 226K I had the original clutch in it and I drove that car like I stole it.

I'm on my 5th 911 now, and 72K miles wouldn't bother me in the least. Porsche builds a tough car, it's not a Ferrari or an Aston Martin.....
Man, we sure had a similar experience with our first Porsche. I also drove my first Porsche, a 1977 911S Targa (pic attached) like it was stolen, and kept it properly serviced. I also needed valve guides/tensioners at 100K mi, but only drove mine to about 180,000 miles before trading it in for a new one. I traded it in for a new SC Targa (avitar pic) for $1500 more than I had paid for it.
I'm actually in the market for a 991S now, so the talk of current asking prices is very interesting to me. Should have kept that '77 Targa...
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2017, 01:04 PM
lagodue
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the crack pipe listed price. I walked in off the street to look at a 2014 C2S and 2015C2. Dealer took out his pricing sheet on each one and immediately deducted about $5,000 on each one. Frankly, I thought that was a bit embarrassing sales tactic.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:34 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI I just sold a 991.1 base manual with almost 60k miles for $59k. Manuals sell very well and it looks like 991s residual values are pretty good.

Quick Reply: Considering buying high milleage 991S, need advice on the price