Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enjoying my car at the track

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:23 AM
falco1098
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, great video and advice. I want to do my first track day and will be sure to get Harrys and an odb2 scanner.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:55 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jc63amg
I will try it in the next track day, July 22nd. I have already downloaded.
Make sure you download the track ahead of time if you're unsure of adequate cell or internet coverage at the track. Lack of service won't affect the GPS but it's way cooler with the track info loaded. The app then knows all the turns.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:03 AM
Jc63amg
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Make sure you download the track ahead of time if you're unsure of adequate cell or internet coverage at the track. Lack of service won't affect the GPS but it's way cooler with the track info loaded. The app then knows all the turns.
My local track is not on the data base, I think I can added but I have to drive the track to uploaded. I will report back.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:06 AM
Jc63amg
Track Day

Originally Posted by johnmhudson111
Pick up a ODB scan tool like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will get the added details like rpm etc,
Thanks, but it's not compatible with iPhone, do you know one that is?
Old 07-14-2017, 09:26 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Their other model is iPhone compatible, I use this one with my iPhone:
Amazon Amazon

This device is preferred by Harry's and has the fastest update rate of the ones the app supports. It uses a WiFi connection.

Last edited by StormRune; 07-14-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Jc63amg
Track Day

Originally Posted by StormRune
Their other model is iPhone compatible, I use this one with my iPhone: https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDL...f=pd_sbs_263_5

This device is preferred by Harry's and has the fastest update rate of the ones the app supports. It uses a WiFi connection.
Great, thanks.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 AM
johnmhudson111
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harrys website has a list of compatible OBD scanners, I have android phones but my friend uses it wit his iphone,
Old 07-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Their other model is iPhone compatible, I use this one with my iPhone: https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDL...f=pd_sbs_263_5

Does it pick up brakes and steering angle? I'm currently using a GoPoint and it works great except that it doesn't pick up brakes or steering angle. Of interest that the GoPoint does pick up; Throttle, RPM, Speed, Coolant Temp, and Engine Temp. It would be great if I could add brake and steering.

BTW - I'm also using an external GPS (XGPS-160) and Track Addict with a GoPro for video. I merge the data and video files with Race Render.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I've used the Sport Chrono just for grins when autocrossing, although it doesn't really understand the "laps" there. I'm sure OP's Solo DL is a much better track tool.

The Sport Chrono is pretty simple to set up and control from the control stalk. It takes one sample each second and includes data that shows things like steering wheel positions, throttle position, speed, temperatures, gear, car position, and a few more I don't immediately recall. You have to convert some of these from metric. In the 991.1 and earlier you pretty much just have to look at this data in Excel as a csv file. I don't know about what's available for the 991.2, but hopefully it is better and easier to read.

I have a Waylens coming in the mail today that should provide some interesting video with coordinated data capture for all of the above-mentioned things too... in addition to the Harry's Lap Timer stuff mentioned earlier. I like data and video I'll do a separate thread about these things soon.
really interested to hear if this product is a good choice for track usage ... not sure the constant recording mode makes sense in a lapping environment?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Has anyone used the Porsche Track Precision app?

Quick Reply: Enjoying my car at the track