Sponsored by:

The Leather to Sample Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 09:45 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SockToy
I don't think the deviated stitching is quite the rip we're implying... I'd guess that Porsche have a stock pipeline of the standard threads/colours ordered in from their suppliers and get bulk discount, benefits of production line fitting, etc.

Order near-unique combos with deviated leather or stitching, and suddenly you're paying for custom builds ,small scale orders, and people rather than machines fitting things.

Seems reasonable to drive a higher cost; the expense of a single bobbin on a custom sofa vs a custom fit on an otherwise standardised production line aren't really comparable.

If I'm right.
I took the factory tour last year. In regards to the interior of the car, it appeared like they were all individually sewn, not a "standardized production line" per se. it seemed like it literally would be just reaching an extra few inches for the red spool for deviated stitching instead of the black spool.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:21 AM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Ha. Well, that's me told then ;p I'm surprised though. I thought things like steering wheels and seats were bought in, not made by Porsche.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Don't forget to clean and condition your leather interiors. I spent an hour on mine last evening using the 3-step kit Leather Magic Kit (Cleaner/Conditioner/Protectant). It's VERY important to do this periodically, especially the steering wheel. Stay on top of it (every 4 to 6 months) and you will be rewarded with a leather interior that looks good and won't crack year after year. At the very least, use a two-step kit of cleaner/conditioner. Those 1-step bottle products are not very good, any more than a 1-step cleaner/wax is good for the paint on the car.

I am also very much amused by those of you that will pay for deviated stitching. When I take an order for leather sofa at my store, if the customer wants a different color stitch - no problem and no charge. Like my supplier's say "Why would we charge for it? We're just changing the bobbin - we wouldn't feel right doing that for what is 2 minutes extra work". Knowing that, I myself could never pay for it...lol
Duane, I have the Pebble / Agate Gray interior in my Cab. I clean it every 3 months using Leather Masters soft cleaner, conditioner and protectant. I do the wheel 1x per month. How would you say these products compare to the Leather Magic? Especially interested in UV since I have a Cab in TX although I understand Porsche treats their Cab leathers?

TIA.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Navy CDR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a 2013 991S PTS and LTS 991S back in December of 2012 and took delivery in June of 2013.

There was an extremely valuable tread on ordering info under the 991 tread back then. My experience in ordering an interior LTS is very simple. Pick the interior leather color you want and the deviate the interior parts to the color you desire. My interior was espresso deviated with cognac. This way all the interior parts are the same color and you are just changing the interior colors you want such as seats and door panels, If you attempt to assign each piece and part of the interior with a specific color there is a good chance you will miss a plastic part somewhere and the color may not match the rest of your interior.

By the way, the exterior is Porsche Racing Green.

this picture was taken shortly after delivery. Yes the boot is black leather; which has been changed.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:18 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I took the factory tour last year. In regards to the interior of the car, it appeared like they were all individually sewn, not a "standardized production line" per se. it seemed like it literally would be just reaching an extra few inches for the red spool for deviated stitching instead of the black spool.
This is one of the realities that would prevent me from paying hundreds of dollars for deviated stitching on many interior parts. You can easily rack up $2000-3000 on the interior by going ape in deviated stitching. At the end of the day its just thread. The sewing machine has no idea if the thread is $0 black or $355 Racing Yellow. Same exact thread just a different dye. As you said, someone literally just loaded the sewing machine with a different color. The added production/product/labor cost is however many extra calories the seamstress burned reaching an additional 6 inches of the colored spool of your choice. For $300 for deviated stitching on the steering column casing, you could go to Jo-Ann Fabrics and buy 500 miles thread in any color you wanted at that price.

Some Exclusive options seem "reasonably priced" even with the Porsche tax. Sport Exhaust Systems, Wheels painted exterior color, etc. But there comes a point on some of these options where the price just seems too absurd just on principle.

Certain leather interiors -- perhaps its the Natural Leather interiors -- come standard w/deviated stitching. At least they did.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:05 PM
ClayMan28
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone done LTS on a Panamera, Macan or Cayenne?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 PM
camdon
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of my dad's says he has a LTS 2003 996TT car. Was that possible back then?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

^^^ Yes. It has been possible since at least the 80s. But it was very limited back then.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:43 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Can anyone tell me if Porsche's Natural Black leather is close enough in tone and texture to be mixed in proximity with standard 991 black leather?

Anyone have Natural Black leather interiors?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Keadog has the natural black interior.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

A couple updates:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...this-time.html

A nice green interior GT3

and then I saw this ascot brown and mahogany Targa GTS on Instagram and, well, it is the nicest Porsche interior I have ever seen.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:01 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 675 Posts

What are you doing to clean the natural leather interiors?
Old 09-28-2019, 03:58 PM
David Martin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love that green interior! What color name is that please? I would love it with Lime Gold in tribute to my Mother's Ford LTD she had when I was young. Was a great car and a drunk driver rear ended it and totaled it. Lime Gold and that green would be fabulous.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:03 AM
RENNWERKSTATT
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Customized Steering Wheel for LTS (Leather-to-Sample) clients

Some of those interiors are just awesome - but I can’t get over those black steering wheels...

So, we have already done a few customizations for our clients.

Below you see a two-tone (Carrera GT inspired) Ascotbraun/Black with GT-Silver stitching, inserts changed to matte black and the SportChrono dial in PTS Irish Green...

Almost everything is possible - even a 12 o’clock marker in PTS (yes, Paint-to-Sample)...

Old 03-30-2020, 12:12 AM
ClayMan28
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone done Leather-to-Sample on a 718?

Quick Reply: The Leather to Sample Thread