Sponsored by:

BlazinPond's 2018 991.2 GTS build, delivery and ownership thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:41 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 164 Posts
Talking BlazinPond's 2018 991.2 GTS build, delivery and ownership thread

Hey guys!
My name is Luke. I'm finally getting a new 911. Allocation secured and build closes/locks on July 10, 2017.

It was between instant gratification of a low mileage CPO 2015/2016 GTS (natural aspiration) and an allocation spot for a 2018 GTS. My salesman let me spend 3-4 hours with the CPO GTS yesterday, which i absolutely loved... and that N/A sound was fantastic.

I was not able to get an allocation for a new GT3 in the short term, otherwise, i would likely have gone that route. I'm not messing around with a used GT3 due to all the engine fixes/upgrades to the new ones.

However, part of what influenced my decision was two fold:
1) I recently read an article on the new 2017 GTS and the Nurburgring performance. The new GTS is 16 seconds faster than the outgoing natural aspirated 991.1 version... which i could not get out of my mind. And no, i don't plan to be a track junky, but that says a lot to me about the overall performance of the 991.2.
2) The 991.2 motor already won an international award for design/performance

In the end, my awesome salesman helped me weigh the pro's and con's about owning the newest P-car I'm will to afford at this time in my life. He seemed totally unbiased and actually wanted to help me make the right decision. That and my eventual plan is to own a GT3 RS.

So long story short, I'm moving forward with the 2018 GTS with a 3rd week in October (2017) tentative delivery date. AND....with this purchase, I locked in a dealer reservation/high on the list for a GT3 RS allocation in 2020.

A little about me:
--I've had two other recent P-cars (958 Cayenne Turbo and 2017 Macan GTS) so I'm familiar with the configurator and the brand.
--I've recently sold the Cayenne Turbo in order to have a smaller, slower depreciating DD and a fun weekend car.
--I live in Minnesota, but was recruited to move to Michigan and my wife and i are also in the middle of house hunting in Ann Arbor or Grosse Ile
--I enjoy PCA activities and local cars and coffee outings.
--My wife and I love to go for weekend cruises and exploring new areas (wife loves looking at homes in new neighborhoods).

Specifics about me and my initial choices...

- This 911 will be my weekend/fun car, i will daily my Macan GTS
- My wife does NOT want flashy colors (red/orange/yellow etc.)
- Sport exhaust is important for me to have, although i may likely add an Akrapovik center valved slip on exhaust.
- I enjoy detailing my own cars but may bring this one to ESOTERIC for PPF and coating
- I enjoy doing my own maintenance
- I have performed some mods on my past build
- I may track but only rarely/occasionally
- I have an dealer reservation for an allocation for a GTS RS 992 (2020 timeframe)
- I plan to do an Atlanta experience delivery this time, and German delivery in 2020 (see next bullet).
- Not entirely sure if I will keep the GTS and trade on RS or keep both - ideally have both

Here is the official build.http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ6XQHB6

Options:

911 Carrera GTS $120,700

Agate Grey Metallic $720
Leather Interior in Agate Grey $3,850
Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power $2,160 Sport Seats (14-way)
• Porsche Entry & Drive $0
• Auto-Dimming Mirrors $0
• Light Design Package $0
• Seat Heating (Front) $0
• Seat Ventilation (Front) $0
Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass $2,000
Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior color $300
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) $3,730
Power Steering Plus $280
Rear Axle Steering $2,090
20" 911 Turbo S Wheels $0
Lane Change Assist (LCA) $850
Deletion of Alcantara® $0
Power Sport Seats (14-way) w/Memory package $1,530
Smoking Package $0
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell $0
Fire Extinguisher $140
Storage Compartment Lid with Model Logo $340
Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel in Carbon Fiber $470
BOSE® Surround Sound System $1,600
Voice control $0
Porsche crest embroidered $0
Atlanta Experience Center delivery $0

Total msrp
$141,810.00

<<Edit: Pics removed since i changed build before it locked....see post 59>>

Last edited by BlazinPond; 09-25-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:29 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks amazing. Congratulations! I just got a 2017 Targa GTS in the same color, very similar spec. I did the 18-way seats and the GTS package with alcantara and red stitching. I love having some color to set things off a bit. Consider adding the steering column in leather. Very impactful upgrade. I'll hold off attaching any pictures here - I've done so too much in other threads already! I have a thread of my own with a bunch of pix which you could easily find.

I'm loving my car so far. I hope you're experience is great too. Enjoy!
Old 07-04-2017, 02:51 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

for that build price, and the fact that you stated this will be sold anyway for a future RS, i would have gone with a CPO 991.1 GT3.

you would lose less money during your ownership, and with CPO, not have to worry about engine issues.

unless you got it in writing (and even then) and/or trust your GM without reservation, the RS allocation "promise" is worthless.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:58 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Thx for your input dude. I did in fact weigh that option quite thoroughly.
My rationale and reasons described above ruled that option out.

Theres a significant # used GT3's that have hit the market lately pushing prices slightly down.
Lastly, theres a 50/50 or better chance i will keep this when i get the RS....and yes, i have a great relationship built and trust my salesperson/manager.

Last edited by BlazinPond; 07-04-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Fred V
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I love the color combo on the exterior, very classy. As far as options go you're pretty set, but I'd maybe opt for a different colored leather or interior trim to add some contrast. I'd also definitely paint the side skirts, they make the whole car look a lot lower. The standard matt black feels very cheap to me
Old 07-04-2017, 03:03 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bwiele
That looks amazing. Congratulations! I just got a 2017 Targa GTS in the same color, very similar spec. I did the 18-way seats and the GTS package with alcantara and red stitching. I love having some color to set things off a bit. Consider adding the steering column in leather. Very impactful upgrade. I'll hold off attaching any pictures here - I've done so too much in other threads already! I have a thread of my own with a bunch of pix which you could easily find.

I'm loving my car so far. I hope you're experience is great too. Enjoy!
Great to hear my friend...appreciate your feedback.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:04 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fred V
I love the color combo on the exterior, very classy. As far as options go you're pretty set, but I'd maybe opt for a different colored leather or interior trim to add some contrast. I'd also definitely paint the side skirts, they make the whole car look a lot lower. The standard matt black feels very cheap to me
Exactly what i am looking for. Painted skirts....added!
I may go back to black interior since your logic makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Have you tried the 18 ways seats? If you're moving up the GT food chain, you might like them.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Fred V
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Exactly what i am looking for. Painted slats....added!
I may go back to black interior since your logic makes sense.

Thanks!
Painted air vent slats is not the same as painted side skirts, make sure you tick the right option hehe. You could go with a sports chrono/instrument dial/interior trim matching contrast to add some color to the interior instead of changing the interior leather if you prefer it to the black
Old 07-04-2017, 03:13 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fred V
Painted air vent slats is not the same as painted side skirts, make sure you tick the right option hehe. You could go with a sports chrono/instrument dial/interior trim matching contrast to add some color to the interior instead of changing the interior leather if you prefer it to the black

Good catch. Got it changed/corrected.
Good advice....i am back on the configurator comparing both options. I like it.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:14 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
Have you tried the 18 ways seats? If you're moving up the GT food chain, you might like them.
I've only had the 18-way in current and past vehicles. So i'm going to spend some time in 14 way to make sure I'm ok with stepping down.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:18 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I would spend $330 for the GT steering wheel on top of heated multifunction carbon and skip the carbon wheel as you don't have the carbon trim (or get carbon trim). Otherwise, great build!
Old 07-04-2017, 03:31 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
I would spend $330 for the GT steering wheel on top of heated multifunction carbon and skip the carbon wheel as you don't have the carbon trim (or get carbon trim). Otherwise, great build!
Good call. That was my first thought too. I was hoping to get some feedback on this aspect. Thanks man.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:54 PM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great color with the glass sunroof option.

I have a couple of questions maybe OP or other members can enlighten me on.

I'm 99% not likely to track or if I do track, I'm not likely to do much as its out of the way, time consuming and expensive. Initially I was thinking rather have a GT3 even with added cost and discomfort over the GTS because I felt the NA engine would be much more fun and true or not that the 6MT is probably better than the 7MT although I'm leaning towards PDK if I get a GTS.

Anyhow now I think that GTS might be all around better idea for me as a DD. But as weekend car can a GTS still scratch the itch on a back road like a GT3. I understand not as well, but is it in the same league?

My question is, how much debate do you put between GT3 and GTS especially if track use would be minimal or zero? Also would the GTS (turbo) be quite a bit better in city driving or when you just want a car not an amusement park ride.

Option questions:

1) I don't see anyone order the rear wiper, why is that? Just a matter of price or some other reason (looks)?

2) power steering plus. I see a lot of people order that. I am old enough to have owned a car without any power steering so I don't see the need to have even more assistance at low speeds. But maybe I'm missing something regarding the ratio change etc.. Does it feel any better at high speeds than the standard power steering? Sometimes I wonder if something is actually that good why not make it standard equipment unless some people love and some people dislike it. I realize making it an option is good for profits but I'm curious if it's really better then standard or just a personal preference.

Last edited by rai; 07-04-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:23 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Side skirts added.....still contemplating color contrast within the interior and steering wheel casing in leather.

REVISED
911 Carrera GTS $120,700

Agate Grey Metallic $720
Leather Interior in Agate Grey $3,850
Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power $2,160 Sport Seats (14-way)
• Porsche Entry & Drive $0
• Auto-Dimming Mirrors $0
• Light Design Package $0
• Seat Heating (Front) $0
• Seat Ventilation (Front) $0
Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass $2,000
Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior color $300
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) $3,730
Power Steering Plus $280
Rear Axle Steering $2,090
20" 911 Turbo S Wheels $0
Lane Change Assist (LCA) $850