What would you have done differently?

Old 07-05-2017, 01:02 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Regrets:

1) I didn't get steering column casing wrapped in leather.

2) I got alcantara sun visors from the factory - I wish I had left them alone, then ordered them later from Suncoast sans ugly airbag warning labels.

3) I got the painted side skirts - I don't wash the car often enough (heresy! I know!) and the GT silver paint shows more dirt than if they were left unpainted.

4) I didn't get the adaptive cruise control and now wish I had.

5) I didn't "delete model designation' - it's a whole lot of busy letters and I like the cleaner look of simply PORSCHE on the rear.

So for my next build - it'll be perfect! Really!

P.S. One more regret - I didn't get the Turbo S.
1. http://www.exclusiveoption.com/

5. http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/how-to...ols-1774617183
Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

So far happy with my build, happy to take delivery at PEC Atlanta, and happy to have the car taken by transporter that same day to have Xpel installed before driving home.

I regret following a pickup and trailer who jettisoned a plastic cooler in front of me while driving 75 on a Phoenix freeway.

Not sure yet about selecting Xenon headlights and passing on the LED upgrade.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:22 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
The people who want PDK get PDK. It's readily available, and there's no particular draw to manual beyond the kinesthetic pleasure. Unlike automatic vs. manual, the fuel efficiency, speed, and performance arguments are all on the PDK side.
The PDK does have slight efficiency and performance advantages yes. SLIGHT.

Manual drivers get PDK either because they couldn't find a manual, or because they wanted to experiment with the convenience or performance advantages. That's sure why I transitioned to PDK after 17 years of driving 6-speed.
I also transitioned because only a PDK was available in the color and options I wanted, figured once I got used to it the "convenience and (or) performance advantages" you speak of might make it worth while. But in my experience any performance advantage is way outweighed by having less fun.

I don't want to start a flame war, everyone who wants to justify their less fun PDK doesn't have to point out that it's faster, more efficient, etc. We all know that it is and always will be.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:45 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
The PDK does have slight efficiency and performance advantages yes. SLIGHT.

I also transitioned because only a PDK was available in the color and options I wanted, figured once I got used to it the "convenience and (or) performance advantages" you speak of might make it worth while. But in my experience any performance advantage is way outweighed by having less fun.

I don't want to start a flame war, everyone who wants to justify their less fun PDK doesn't have to point out that it's faster, more efficient, etc. We all know that it is and always will be.
Totally agree. One of the main reasons I got rid of my current RS for a 991.2 GT3.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:04 PM
cajerseyboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a PDK and would have some reservations about giving it up for a manual. But I have not driven a manual P Car so maybe having that experience would make the change desirable.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:07 PM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy with the manual transmission (why would anyone want an auto?).
Like the new steering wheel, like the hands free unlocking, like the way the display tells me the song and album of the CD, love the metal sunroof and the gorgeous five-spoke wheels Carrera Sport Wheels.
The big disappointment is the bose stereo-a $100k car with crappy sound-the bass is ok.

My only regret is that I forgot to ask for a t-shirt and hat.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:33 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

If I were to order again I'd get the same car with a near identical build. I might add red seatbelts, and I'd think hard on adding painted air intakes and steering wheel stitching. But if I ever start to really care I'll just buy them and swap them. Nothing I added to the car that I'd delete. I'm glad my SA recommended seat cooling and LCA as I use both quite a bit.

The big thing for me was never the options - it was getting the right model. I bought a TT and a Spec Boxster project instead of a GT3, C2S, or something else. For a street car I like AWD a lot more than I thought I would, and I don't feel like I missed out by omitting the S on my TT.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have tried harder to get 7% discount....not the 6!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 729 Posts

Would have been a little more persistent with that girl I let get away in high school

Would have passed on the crazy Afro during my college days

Would have gotten a better divorce lawyer or hitman

Would have married my Brazilian wife earlier in life

Would have kept my 997 TT

No regrets on my current car, checks all the boxes.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:55 PM
cajerseyboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Would have been a little more persistent with that girl I let get away in high school

Would have passed on the crazy Afro during my college days

Would have gotten a better divorce lawyer or hitman

Would have married my Brazilian wife earlier in life

Would have kept my 997 TT

No regrets on my current car, checks all the boxes.
Fantastic!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Daekwan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
I wish I would have done the NavTV earlier, as it would have saved me from repainting the rear bumper cover.
What NavTV option did you choose?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Daekwan
Advanced

I had an aftermarket rear camera installed in my cab. A lot of the 991.1's have a PCM that's new enough to accept video signal from a rear camera. The main thing I'm missing is the guide overlay showing where the car's going to go, but I don't feel like I need it.

Be aware that you still need to do head checks before backing out, the rear camera helps, but there's stuff to the side that's still out of view.
A backup camera isnt standard equipment on all 991.1s?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan
A backup camera isnt standard equipment on all 991.1s?
Wasn't even an option on early 991.1's...
Old 07-06-2017, 11:22 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not have married either of my two wives, Laura 1 and Laura 2.

I would have been a fashion photographer instead of an accountant.

I think that covers it.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

1. Not chosen PDCC. I had 3 back to back S Classes with their ABC (Active Body Control) - loved it - and thought it would be a MUST to continue with the Porsche. Didn't consider one is a floating boat and the other is already flat by most standards. Would apply the cost to another option - see below. I doubt I will ever truly track it - and it only makes the ride more jarring and bumpy (it doesn't hurt or anything but it's definitely a noticeable decrease in smooth comfort on roads in Brooklyn NY)

2. May have selected the 18 way instead of 14 way with the money saved from not getting the PDCC

3. May have considered the brushed aluminium or the carbon fiber for the interior (Bordeaux / black leather interior)

4. I did not buy the PSE and I really do NOT like how the 2 center pipes look at all. I have a 4S and love the wide body look and feel it narrows it in - however - just for poop and giggles - I might have enjoyed it being a little bit louder - although do NOT take this as a complaint on the standard exhaust - which is PLENTY loud.

That's pretty much it. I have all the options I want - and did not pick anything I do not want or need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you have done differently?