Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking design advice from the experts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 06:02 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Seeking design advice from the experts...

I've pretty much made the decision to swap out my 991.2 Targa 4S for the GTS variant. I know it's somewhat frivolous. I've decided on Chalk/Black leather, and am looking for some design advice; either red or yellow stitching with matching sport chrono gauge and choice of trim between the base, brushed aluminum, or painted. The painted looks cheap to me on the configurator. Anybody with an opinion, feel free to weigh in. Thanks in advance. (The pictures top to bottom of the interior are the brushed aluminum, base, and painted trims.)
Attached Images          

Last edited by drgek; 06-30-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

My opinion only. Keep It Simple Stupid . Too many colors. I'd suggest while dials (gauge and sport chrono) and no deviated stitching. Standard trim. Not painted. Ask a 100 Rennlisters,, and you'll get 102 responses, becuase STG will respond 3 times in one post. I crack myself up. Happy 4th.

Last edited by LexVan; 06-30-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:21 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
My opinion only. Keep It Simple Stupid . Too many colors. I'd suggest while dials (gauge and sport chrono) and no deviated stitching. Standard trim. Not painted. Ask a 100 Rennlisters,, and you'll get 102 responsed, becuase STG will respone 3 times in one post. I crack myself up. Happy 4th.
Thanks for the input. Have a great holiday weekend.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:46 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

My 2 cents - The red stitching and dial match the overall theme better (red brakes, speedometer needles, & taillights). Not sure about the trim, standard looks fine.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I think red has a lot more appeal. Design-wise it matches the brakes, lights, etc and can tie the the car together

yellow feels like just a random color introduced into the car.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:58 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Love the Chalk exterior!
Go with red stitching and interior trim painted Chalk, too. It'll look great.
Have you considered all gauge faces in red? If not, stick with black gauges. White (silver) gauge faces are hard to read, IMO.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:14 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,203 Likes on 2,715 Posts

Only get yellow if you are getting PCCBs (yellow calipers).
Old 06-30-2017, 09:23 PM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered chaulk leather seat insert with chaulk stiching? Then if you want to add little red bits like seat belts or dials they pop a little more. Just an idea.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:59 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

all gauges and stitches red, brushed aluminum trim
Old 06-30-2017, 11:07 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

FWIW, the base silver trim is rather shiny and can result in sun reflections and glare. I have this in my black/bordeaux interior and I am currently trying to decide how to eliminate the shine.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:11 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shake1
My 2 cents - The red stitching and dial match the overall theme better (red brakes, speedometer needles, & taillights). Not sure about the trim, standard looks fine.
Agree. I like the way the yellow looks better, but it's definitely less cohesive.

Originally Posted by friar93
I think red has a lot more appeal. Design-wise it matches the brakes, lights, etc and can tie the the car together

yellow feels like just a random color introduced into the car.
Seems to be the consensus

Originally Posted by Leader
Love the Chalk exterior!
Go with red stitching and interior trim painted Chalk, too. It'll look great.
Have you considered all gauge faces in red? If not, stick with black gauges. White (silver) gauge faces are hard to read, IMO.
I considered all red gauges, but thought it was a little overbearing.

Originally Posted by rk-d
Only get yellow if you are getting PCCBs (yellow calipers).
I think you're right about that.

Originally Posted by XLOR8T
Have you considered chaulk leather seat insert with chaulk stiching? Then if you want to add little red bits like seat belts or dials they pop a little more. Just an idea.
I like the look, but I'm afraid they'd be denim blue after a short time. OTOH, I had a 2012 Aston Virage Volante with essentially a white interior that stayed spotless.

Originally Posted by OKB
all gauges and stitches red, brushed aluminum trim
Thanks. The trim is what's really got me thinking now.

Originally Posted by bkrantz
FWIW, the base silver trim is rather shiny and can result in sun reflections and glare. I have this in my black/bordeaux interior and I am currently trying to decide how to eliminate the shine.
Is the base trim on the GTS silver? It looks to have a black appearance to me on the configurator.

Again, I appreciate everybody's comments.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:37 PM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Base trim on GTS is black. I have black/Bordeaux on order and stayed with black. Seemed the nicest options. Didn't want to go CF

As for denim blue instead of chaulk. It's all about care. Proper treatment and regular detail will keep it looking great. Have you seen the chaulk leather in person? I looks like it would really standup to stain and wear. Even if you don't go seat inserts you can go caulk stiching and chaulk seat belts

it was my favourit colour. All my 911s to this point have been Carrera white. Wifey asked me to get a dark colour this time. Hence the Agate Grey on order
Old 07-01-2017, 12:19 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Leather on the dash and door trim seems to look best in my view. The silver base and aluminum trim are too bright for me. Wood has its place too, but I don't think it is available on GTS.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:07 AM
spaceheater
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mentioned the painted trim looks cheap in the configurator. The painted trim does look good in person. It looks and feels just like the exterior.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:19 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a R Silver GTS Cab and have to agree with those whom said to keep it simple. The exterior calk color will look great against the red calipers and black targa top. I would have the same color scheme inside. Chalk stitching and painted trim with red seat belts and red gauges with black seats. I don't have the red belts and wish I did. It would give it some pop and contrast inside.

Quick Reply: Seeking design advice from the experts...