Need HDPE opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 11:39 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need HDPE opinion

Hey guys,

I need opinions for my first HDPE experience. Should I take my E90 M3 w/ DCT or 991.2 C4S w/ PDK? Both vehicles will be stock with fresh rubber.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Totally different capability and balance on track. If it's your first experience, I'd take the Bimmer and focus on racing line and going slower.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:02 AM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Since it's your first event it really doesn't matter. As you increase your skills the E90 in stock form will start to show it's not track ready out the box. It will need brake pads and fluid at a minimum. FYI........if you take the E90 cover the power steering reservoir with a old sock. If you don't there's a really good chance you give your engine a bath via the vent hole....search this on M3post.......Phil
Old 06-24-2017, 06:23 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

I agree it doesn't matter, but I think I'd take the Porsche. Every year computers and therefore nannies get better. I'd like the confidence of the most up to date stability control for my first HPDE.

Slightly OT - All my track time has been in Porsche (mostly GT cars). Picked up an M2 and had it on the track yesterday. Super fun. Less power, less grip but more action.

Whatever you do, have fun!
Old 06-24-2017, 06:37 AM
freeman727
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm leaning M3. I want learn handling. If I can handle a RWD, AWD should be a piece of cake.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:01 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman727
I'm leaning M3. I want learn handling. If I can handle a RWD, AWD should be a piece of cake.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman727
Originally Posted by tstafford
You will have to drive a front engine car very differently than a rear engine car.... forget about rwd vs awd.

You will absolutely have a blast in either! The 911 is ready to go now but you need to do some research and track prep the M... This experience costs most people 20-30K haha.

20K donor car
8K track prepping
2K trailer
Old 06-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

I've owned and tracked both and the M3 is pretty mediocre in stock form but can easily be transformed with good tires like RE71Rs, track pads (I had PF #8s), and brake fluid. But in stock form, the 4S (GTS in my case) is still better suited than the M, even with those upgrades. One of the reasons I wanted to move from my M to a 911 was due to the envy of superior corner exit and braking abilities. It was frustrating to experience at the track, and I had to have that! While the M's rear wants to squirm accelerating out of a corner or on uphill climbs (albeit fun in some senses), the 911 has a laughable amount of traction that cannot be outdone. I could also brake waaaay later in the 911, mainly due to lighter weight and less weight transfer to the front of the car. Both cars are damn fun though and the DCT shines on the track. My 4GTS was 7MT and I preferred the on track experience with the dct in terms of transmissions.

A big advantage for the M is consideration of overall cost if something goes wrong, especially if you don't do track insurance. This makes the prospect of tracking a 6 figure car very daunting, to the point where I do not plan to track my current Turbo S. I did 1 track day with it and in the first run group, the instructor group, a Subaru STi blew its motor and laid a line of oil slick over the entire line of the track, and it was raining. We were the next group out and none of the oil could be seen yet. I almost spun a 180 on a slow speed corner on the 2nd or 3rd lap from the oil, and told myself I was done using this car after today. I'm more likely to just shell out and rent a spec Miata and enjoy my 911 for spirited road driving. I realize the cost of adding insurance would be the same as renting a spec car, but there are so many other factors at play that make the rental cost a better option for me (e.g. consumables, wear and tear, track maintenance, not my car, etc.).

Quick Reply: Need HDPE opinion