Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 4s vs GTS - PLEASE HELP ORDERING SATURDAY!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:13 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Have a good look at the Alcantera(GTS)....some like it and others (me) don't. If youre not driving it in the winter...GTS IMO. Be careful with options as many wont affect your day to day driving. If youre going to track it, thats different. Pretty good problem/decision to have!! Pfaff? Downtown?

Not driving in snow but may take it out on a nice day in Winter... GTS the Only option Im adding is PDK smokers pack and maybe Glass Roof....

4S would be sports pack, PDK Spyder Rims.

Don't care about the other options.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:15 PM
guod
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely get the GTS! It looks that bit more special.
Orange would be killer!
Old 06-23-2017, 03:17 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

GTS w rear wheel drive and steering will be unparalleled for feel - 4S will far be better for wet and winter driving. If its not a daily drive I would get the GTS. Black signals total commitment to careful detailing or not giving a @%&*- nothing in-between. Ya payes yer money and takes yer choices. Either way you cant lose.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:19 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Based on what you have written the GTS makes the most sense as it offers more sporty performance (2WD, more HP) for less money in the wide body. Lava offers more than it delivers IMHO. It has a rather flat appearance which I don't particularly care for. Black requires commitment and you either accept it or live with the swirls and dirt. You need to see for yourself whatever color you are seriously considering. My only 2 cents is that the RWS is an important option because it adds a measure of nimbleness to a car that has grown a little too large.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a loaded 4S - GTS will hold its value better, hands down the right financial call (but AWD has ridiculous grip).

Congrats!!
Old 06-23-2017, 03:35 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

GTS, no question.
LO over black.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:36 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Why not a 4GTS?

Pair down your options and get the AWD version of the GTS.

Boom..... drops mike.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Nala
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

150K CAD for a brand new GTS? Where you get a deal like that ?! Pfaff or downtown ?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:28 PM
991.2GTS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where in Canada you are at? I put down a deposit for a GTS early June. They told me production date is Sept and delivery date is Nov. Did they tell you approx. delivery date?
Old 06-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Nala
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.2GTS
Where in Canada you are at? I put down a deposit for a GTS early June. They told me production date is Sept and delivery date is Nov. Did they tell you approx. delivery date?
shoulda ask around for allocations . I ordered mine in May, deliver in July . Are you able to drive that in Nov ? LOL.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:19 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

The GTS is a special package and actually a good value for a 911. The 4 wheel drive in a Porsche is for performance and handling and that is why it is standard in a Turbo/S. For winter driving you must have winter tires as summer tires are a disaster waiting to happen in very cold temperatures before you even begin to consider driving in snow. Use the money you save by not getting the awd and get a set a winter wheels and tires. BTW: Smaller wheels and tires will do even better. So far as color goes GT Silver was more than $3000 before 2017 while it is ridiculous to spend that much for orange - a color which like yellow will never command a higher price and will certainly have less potential buyers than GT Silver. It does look cool but it will stand out wherever you go and after a while that could get old.
If I were going to stretch the budget a bit I would do it with the leather package, and make sure to include the steering column in leather - remember, you are driving the car and will be looking at that interior and a great looking interior will always put a smile on your face.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:47 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nala
150K CAD for a brand new GTS? Where you get a deal like that ?! Pfaff or downtown ?
just going on whats online - I've called all the dealers - every one of them was charging me full price and then some....

is there some wiggle room??? I would probably purchase from London as I live close enough to there.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:50 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not your daily driver so definitely GTS. Also if you were to get a 4S and saw a GTS on the road you might have regrets. Your biggest trade off is either AWD and light bar or more power and GTS bits (center locks, alcantar interior, tinted lights, painted nozzles).

Others have commented about how hard black is to maintain. While it used to be true but with new paint protection films, just wrap your whole car and you don't have to worry about swirls ever again. I feel wih Lava Orange you can grow tired of it while black is timeless.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I think this comes down to a few questions:

AWD or RWD?

Do do you like Alcantara?

Do you like black wheels?

I don't know about the 991.2 GTS but when I was buying it seemed like I couldn't feel the difference in power with the standard power kit. Maybe the turbos change the game a bit but for me, it wasn't noticeable at the time.

I don't care for Alcantara in a daily driver. Awesome in GT3 but I'd prefer ventilated seats with leather. I also don't love black wheels unless on certain colors.

With that said I struggled with the 4S vs GTS conversation as well. I procrastinated my purchase until the 991.2's started coming in, and there weren't any new GTS left, but I found my 4S, I like both rwd and awd, and I jumped on it.

I love GTS cars with alcantara delete, carbon interior, and heated carbon steering wheel.

Decide your preferences and buy the car you want. Life is too short to spend so much on something you compromised on. If I could do it again I'd order a GTS with full leather, sell the center locks, and buy HRE.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg
just going on whats online - I've called all the dealers - every one of them was charging me full price and then some....

is there some wiggle room??? I would probably purchase from London as I live close enough to there.
If you do the conversion, you will soon realize you are already getting a great deal compared to Porsche USA... so there is no wiggle room.
I was in the same situation... first Porsche; many years in the making. I ordered a car in February. I believe it is in production this week.

I agonized over the models; 4, 4S, 4 GTS and a GT3 as the price was coming in very close on all. I ended up buying what I wanted and not what I thought would be the better car for the second owner. I am happy with my decision and feel lucky... just to be in this position. Enjoy and good luck! You will be happy. (get what you want... including lava orange!)

Quick Reply: 911 4s vs GTS - PLEASE HELP ORDERING SATURDAY!