Sponsored by:

Numeric Shifter install in 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:40 AM
*991*
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Numeric Shifter install in 991.1

Anyone have instructions on the installation for 991.1 I found install for the 997 but not for 991.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:59 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Word of caution: If you are still under CPO you may want to postpone this install. My 7MT gave up on even numbered gears (2, 4, 6, and R), I took it to the dealership, they spent two hours going through the car to verify that I had not modified the tranmission in any way. I hadn't and Porsche replaced the transmission.

I asked about their process and what was acceptable (as I had been considering the Numeric Shifter) and was told that a non-Porsche shifter would have put me in a gray area that would have required pleading with PCNA - and no one can predict that outcome.

Bottom line: The Numeric Shifter, Cobb AP, and TPC DSC module are all on my wish list, but I will patiently wait until my CPO expires - lesson learned.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:25 PM
*991*
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Word of caution: If you are still under CPO you may want to postpone this install. My 7MT gave up on even numbered gears (2, 4, 6, and R), I took it to the dealership, they spent two hours going through the car to verify that I had not modified the tranmission in any way. I hadn't and Porsche replaced the transmission.

I asked about their process and what was acceptable (as I had been considering the Numeric Shifter) and was told that a non-Porsche shifter would have put me in a gray area that would have required pleading with PCNA - and no one can predict that outcome.

Bottom line: The Numeric Shifter, Cobb AP, and TPC DSC module are all on my wish list, but I will patiently wait until my CPO expires - lesson learned.
Thats pretty screwed up if Porsche could claim a short throw shifter could have damaged a trans but who knows
Old 06-23-2017, 10:28 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 549 Posts

The TPC module seems relatively safe as that's super simple to swap and not a popular enough mod for them to investigate.

But yah, a cobb tune and short shifter seem a lot more tricky to swap out with zero trace.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:12 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

It may help to understand the background. The transmission gave me problems on the back straight at VIR, shifting from 3 to 4, it just wouldn't drop into 4th. So I go to 5th to finish the straight and continue my lap in 3rd (as I normally would) and then gear down to 2nd when I enter the pits - but it won't drop into 2nd. A bunch of us looked at the car, jacked it up, pulled the underpanel, checked linkages, etc.

I drove home in odd numbered gears (3 hour drive) and went straight to the dealership. I was actually more concerned about having track rash and stickers on my car than anything else. Turns out the shop was very cool about me tracking the car (got several positive comments).

I agree the DSC module should be an easy swap but I thought about what would happen if the car was towed to the dealership on a flatbed where I wouldn't have time to 'undo' what was done. I decided it was far easier to just wait out the CPO.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

It may help to understand the background. The transmission gave me problems on the back straight at VIR, shifting from 3 to 4, it just wouldn't drop into 4th. So I go to 5th to finish the straight and continue my lap in 3rd (as I normally would) and then gear down to 2nd when I enter the pits - but it won't drop into 2nd. A bunch of us looked at the car, jacked it up, pulled the underpanel, checked linkages, etc.

I drove home in odd numbered gears (3 hour drive) and went straight to the dealership. I was actually more concerned about having track rash and stickers on my car than anything else. Turns out the shop was very cool about me tracking the car (got several positive comments).

I agree the DSC module should be an easy swap but I thought about what would happen if the car was towed to the dealership on a flatbed where I wouldn't have time to 'undo' what was done. I decided it was far easier to just wait out the CPO.
Ahhh makes sense... Been there before on an old BMW with a GIAC flash. I had to have the car towed to a GIAC dealer to get my original flash before bringing it to the dealer. HUGE pain.

The main reason I went straight to Porsche is because they are so good out of the box and the only real mods I desire, at least on the NA cars are cosmetic like wheels. Or Pads and fluids for DE's
Old 06-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Curious - what are you guys worried about with the DSC module and CPO warranty?

My car is going on 4 years old (I do have a CPO) ...prior 911s the OEM shocks fell apart at 5 years anyway, so an upgrade to Billsteins is expected for me anyway in the next 2-3 years (lower miles car at 17K). DSC has been great at softening the blows of SPASM and neglected SF roads (thanks Mayor Lee for doing nothing about anything for 5 years now..)
Old 06-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts

For anyone to modify a transmission. You would have to actually open it up and modify it. Putting a short throw shifter on does not change anything internally on the transmission. So if they don't warranty it because of a shorter throw shifter. Well thats completely screwed up and wrong. The shifter just pulls and pushes on the cables to change gears. The shifter is just made so you don't have to move the lever as much to change gears. It does absolutely nothing internally to alter the trans.

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 06-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

@numeric - I agree with you but I could see where they'd question whether reducing the throws is harder on the synchros - so I guess it would depend on what actually failed inside the tranny.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
For anyone to modify a transmission. You would have to actually open it up and modify it. Putting a short throw shifter on does not change anything internally on the transmission. So if they don't warranty it because of a shorter throw shifter. Well thats completely screwed up and wrong. The shifter just pulls and pushes on the cables to change gears. The shifter is just made so you don't have to move the lever as much to change gears. It does absolutely nothing internally to alter the trans.
A short shifter can affect transmission internals a little bit, because in order to get shorter throws you're speeding up the movement of the selector shaft. This makes for faster and harder shifts. You wear out syncros and operating sleeves a little faster than the stock shifter. It's a very minor thing that certainly shouldn't affect warranty claims on a nearly-new 911.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

I think Numeric Racing is correct, however I'm glad I wasn't in 'the gray area' regarding PCNA's warranty approval. I have been to Pitt Race, Shenandoah, and Watkins Glen since I got my transmission replaced in late March. I suspect I would have lost out on at least two of those events if I was pleading with PCNA.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:27 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts

The amount you are speeding it up is milliseconds. A 25 year old will probably shift faster and harder then a 65 year old. I really doubt that would have any effect on the transmission. You are not moving the lever any faster or harder then stock. You are probably doing it in the same manner as the stock shifter as far as speed and force. It is just traveling less distance to engage the gears. Porsche transmission are very well built and their engineers are very intelligent. I wouldn't think they built a transmission that if someone shifts a little faster or harder then someone else, will wear out the transmission. The shifter is a very simple install and requires only one tool. You could easily remove it if you had to. So if your transmission happens to fail I highly doubt it is from a short throw shifter.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:30 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Curious - what are you guys worried about with the DSC module and CPO warranty?

My car is going on 4 years old (I do have a CPO) ...prior 911s the OEM shocks fell apart at 5 years anyway, so an upgrade to Billsteins is expected for me anyway in the next 2-3 years (lower miles car at 17K). DSC has been great at softening the blows of SPASM and neglected SF roads (thanks Mayor Lee for doing nothing about anything for 5 years now..)
Our OEM shocks are bilsteins, there are various grades that bilstein makes for Porsche, but I read somewhere that performance wise there isn't a huge difference in performance from our standard OEM and B16's/PSS10's. At least from an internals perspective.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter install in 991.1