991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

International Engine of the Year Awards 2017

Old 07-16-2017, 12:06 AM
Jrod
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread makes no sense to me. Some of you guys sound a little silly arguing about who's 911 is better based mostly on which power plant it has. They are Porsche 911's! The greatest and most iconic sports car ever! I can't believe a 911 guy would think that both engines aren't outstanding.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:51 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrod
This thread makes no sense to me. Some of you guys sound a little silly arguing about who's 911 is better based mostly on which power plant it has. They are Porsche 911's! The greatest and most iconic sports car ever! I can't believe a 911 guy would think that both engines aren't outstanding.
True.

Its still got a flat six in it, and a stick, and three pedals.

In this era of automated everything, that's a hell of a lot to be thankful for.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
If you want to play semantics go ahead. The 3.8 S is the pinnacle of normal 911's, eh? That's certainly something to admire. Yeah, it's so special that Porsche tosses it in the Cayman. The same model they refuse to stick a GT3 engine in. Guess which engine then hold in higher esteem?

Dealers aren't getting enough 991.2's to meet demand. There were more 991.1's than the market wanted. That is the difference. Do you seriously think there is some great demand for the 991.1? The sales figures sharply declining proved there isn't. Dealers discounting them deeply show you that as well. I mean, is reality just not where you exist? Are you really trying this hard to convince yourself that a mass produced 991.1 Carrera S that shares an engine with a Cayman is special?

The M3 is very relevant to this discussion because as the topic is the International Engine of the Year awards you should know what motor kept the 3.8 out of its class for 5 years straight. It also was beating up on Porsche on the race track but that's a discussion for another time maybe as you don't seem to be concerned with performance. If you were, you'd realize why nobody interested in performance is interested in the 3.8.

Weird how the 911 and M3 clientele are so different yet I own both. The difference between you and I just happens to be I purchase the models that also dominate their class in International Engine of the Year awards. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

I look forward to seeing you flip your 991.1 for huge profit. Wake me up when that happens.
Wow, I leave out "N/A" one time and you again go another diatribe while the point again flies over your head. I obviously have clarified before that the 3.8 is the pinnacle of *N/A* Carrera's. And it shares that engine with a Cayman GT4 who sells for more as a 3 year old car than your engine award garners your .2. I'd say that proves how esteemed the motor is entirely.

Really, "nobody who is interested in performance is interested in the 3.8?" Lmao. You know your car isn't *that* much faster than it, right? You aren't thinking very clearly, so let me help you....

Believe me; you are *not* a barometer for a 911 owner (maybe an M3 owner). And no, M3's and 911's have no correlation on the market. Buyers don't care about engine awards nor do they know they exist. Your M3 will still be worth $10K eventually while likely no 991 will probably ever get that low. Especially not the last of the N/A cars. M3's and 911's play by entirely different rules.

As for sales, again, excuses. We're talking 500-600 cars a month here. '16 S's are in large part selling for what '17's are. '13 S's are still selling (not just asking, but selling) for close to '17 Base prices after average discount. No matter how you spin it, a sales decline from a first year model vs a last year model is not a good sign. People and dealers are asking well over $80K for some 2014 Base cars. There is a direct reason 991.1's have seemed to hold value better ever since the .2. came out. You may think it'll go the way of the M3. I think it may be closer to what happened with the 993. In reality; somewhere in the middle is most likely. .1 GTS's are so vaunted for being the truest pinnacle of the 3.8 that they're holding value like a GT car. I think you'll see those sell for more than any non-GTnumerical .2 once the 991 gets replaced.

And I don't own a 991.1. I'm in the market for any 911 of a good value. And again, I can score a .2 for not much more than a used .1.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Wow, I leave out "N/A" one time and you again go another diatribe while the point again flies over your head. I obviously have clarified before that the 3.8 is the pinnacle of *N/A* Carrera's. And it shares that engine with a Cayman GT4 who sells for more as a 3 year old car than your engine award garners your .2. I'd say that proves how esteemed the motor is entirely.

Really, "nobody who is interested in performance is interested in the 3.8?" Lmao. You know your car isn't *that* much faster than it, right? You aren't thinking very clearly, so let me help you....

Believe me; you are *not* a barometer for a 911 owner (maybe an M3 owner). And no, M3's and 911's have no correlation on the market. Buyers don't care about engine awards nor do they know they exist. Your M3 will still be worth $10K eventually while likely no 991 will probably ever get that low. Especially not the last of the N/A cars. M3's and 911's play by entirely different rules.

As for sales, again, excuses. We're talking 500-600 cars a month here. '16 S's are in large part selling for what '17's are. '13 S's are still selling (not just asking, but selling) for close to '17 Base prices after average discount. No matter how you spin it, a sales decline from a first year model vs a last year model is not a good sign. People and dealers are asking well over $80K for some 2014 Base cars. There is a direct reason 991.1's have seemed to hold value better ever since the .2. came out. You may think it'll go the way of the M3. I think it may be closer to what happened with the 993. In reality; somewhere in the middle is most likely. .1 GTS's are so vaunted for being the truest pinnacle of the 3.8 that they're holding value like a GT car. I think you'll see those sell for more than any non-GTnumerical .2 once the 991 gets replaced.

And I don't own a 991.1. I'm in the market for any 911 of a good value. And again, I can score a .2 for not much more than a used .1.
Not that much faster? It's a ton faster. It isn't even close. 10 second cars with just a tune. We're talking a night and day difference vs. the 991.1. The 991.1 is slow, sorry.

Yeah, yeah, you think the 3.8 is the pinnacle of something or other. As I said, Porsche tosses it in the GT4. Congrats, it shares an engine with the Cayman. Maybe because the real naturally aspirated pinnacle is in the GT3?

I care about engine awards and know they exist. There goes your narrative.

Look, I'm sorry the 991.1 3.8 motor has no awards. I'm sorry the 3.8 in the 991.1 isn't the best 3.8 Porsche themselves has produced. I'm sorry the 991.2 crushes the 991.1 in performance. I'm sorry the 991.2 3.0 is the only Porsche motor to win back to back awards in its displacement category and I'm sorry it is the most awarded Porsche motor in the history of the competition.

Get over it? Maybe show some appreciation for the engineering excellence that is the 991.2 3.0 and how big of a leap it is over the 3.8? It's 2017. Get with the times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: International Engine of the Year Awards 2017