Sponsored by:

Newbie, wandering in the wind

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:02 PM
zadefaraj
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, wandering in the wind

Hi there. I'm very new to the forum and just recently picked up a 2012 CS2 CPO from Redwood City, California. I love the car, but quickly noticed above speeds of 65-70, the car would try to dart across lanes. At even higher speeds, it was almost terrifying to drive because you couldn't take your eyes off of where it was taking you. I was constantly making corrections to just stay in my lane. I adjusted tire pressure, which was 42(f)-48(r) to 32(f)-38(r) which helped slightly. I then took it in to Porsche of West Houston suspecting toe issues and they performed an alignment which helped a lot. The service manager provided the before and after, even commenting that the toe (front and rear) were setup more for track than daily driving. However, after the alignment, now I notice the car tends to wander in the wind. It's certainly not as aggressive as the 'darting' before, but at highway speeds, if theres even a small breeze outside, the car will change lanes. For context, my '72 VW bus was worse, but not by a considerable margin. I was hoping someone may be kind enough to shed some light on what else could be causing this to occur or has had similar experience. I was expecting the dealer to have evaluated the car for worn bushings, etc, but maybe I have to direct them to inspect it? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

Not experiencing that at all in mine, and there's always a breeze here in Corpus Christi. Beautiful car, though. Platinum Silver?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:08 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Tie rods depending on how much mileage and what kind of roads it's been used on.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:32 PM
zadefaraj
4th Gear

Yes, platinum silver
Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 PM
zadefaraj
4th Gear

The car does have just about 50k on the clock. It never left the bay area until now, and i'm unsure of the road conditions there, however based on the alignment settings, one could assume it was setup for and used on a track. Any idea if thats something thats 'supposed' to be checked on a CPO vehicle?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Previous accident?

Get a PPI or see a CarFax?

Welcome to RL too
Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 PM
zadefaraj
4th Gear

None that I'm aware of. I checked paint, gaps between panels, wheels, etc. Barely a scratch on the car. And figuring CPO, they would rule the car out immediately as a candidate if wrecked unless completely unaware.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Take it back and have it double checked. Tires maybe a factor, check N rating, check tread wear, check date code (2 digits week of year and 2 digits year, example 0817). Recheck alignment toe setting, maybe toe is unstable and moving slightly.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:05 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Definitely not normal. Maybe have the dealer "lend" you a set of wheels and tires to rule out that problem.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:39 AM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

If you can scan and post all the alignment specs, before and after, that might help some of the more knowledgeable guys here. I'm not one of them. However, if the TX dealer set it back to original it seems like it should be fine. From your photo it does not look lowered, or even S-PASM. But, it sure is beautiful!

If the dealer seems baffled, there must be some good suspension people around Houston. One place to start searching would be with the local PCA Region track (Driver Ed) and Club Racing people. They are likely to know the really good suspension experts.

One really oddball thought is this: With the Pirelli P Zero N0 tires it is entirely possible to switch the wheels from the left side of the car to the right side, and vice versa. The only requirement is that one side of each tire is labelled as "outside." It's not supposed to make any difference, but if you look carefully at the outside edge tread pattern on each tire you will notice that the grooves (sipes) will be pointing in a different direction, depending on which side of the car the tire is mounted on. Again, Pirelli must believe this does not make any difference. But, if the tire wear has been uneven and the sides were swapped, anything is possible.

I think a really good suspension guy will be able to sort this out for you. At least you have a CPO car, so Porsche has to make it right. There is no way you should have to put up with this problem with a 991.

Quick Reply: Newbie, wandering in the wind