Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install an Akrapovic exhaust on their 991.2 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 06:46 PM
CCPcoatings
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating Exhaust Tips

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Just an fyi for those that want the akra but want to change the tips to black. The titanium makes it hard for cerakote to stick, and it wasnt possible despite multiple blasting attempts. Ended up doing matte black powder coat which tends to stand up best to high heat. Also asked to leave the inner part the original color. Came out pretty nice. Hopefully it holds up.
Not sure where they went wrong but Ceramic Coating Titanium / TI components isn't much more difficult than coating any other exhaust substrate, i.e. SS, aluminum, mild steel, cast iron, etc. It's also one of the only materials that will hold up to these types of extended temperatures.

To that point, a note of caution in trying to powder coat exhaust tips: standard powders won't hold up very long if they see any heat at all (see below). You might squeak by with a high temp powder though they don't generally look spectacular being more porous and only come in black.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:20 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Yikes. Duly noted. What makes the akra tips a sun of a gun to cerakote is the coating akrapovic puts on them not so much the material. Its almost like chemical treatment or anodized. Very, very well made. What makes me think these have a prayer of withstanding heat with the high temp powder coat is that i didnt do the inside and they are double walled. There is a thin layer of air between the inside and outer most portion. Only coating the outside was probably a headache for them but they got it done and only charged 150. If the finish deteriorates quickly ill try a gun shop next or have the outside machined a little to expose the bare titanium then it should work no prob... also will cost more but it might be worth it in the long run.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:37 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

Yikes. Duly noted. What makes the akra tips a sun of a gun to cerakote is the coating akrapovic puts on them not so much the material. Its almost like chemical treatment or anodized. Very, very well made. What makes me think these have a prayer of withstanding heat with the high temp powder coat is that i didnt do the inside and they are double walled. There is a thin layer of air between the inside and outer most portion. Only coating the outside was probably a headache for them but they got it done and only charged 150. If the finish deteriorates quickly ill try a gun shop next or have the outside machined a little to expose the bare titanium then it should work no prob... also will cost more but it might be worth it in the long run.
CCPcoatings was able to blast and ceramic coat my Akra tips satin black, very happy with their results!

Old 09-11-2018, 05:20 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 164 Posts

My less than 1-yr old Akra is for sale if anyone is still looking to get one.
Mine is better than new... since it comes with the valve actuators. Meaning the stock slip on muffler will not have to be touched.
Moving the OEM actuator valves back and forth is a PIA....ask me how I know!

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...t-exhaust.html
Old 09-11-2018, 08:11 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 123 Posts

I think Akra is terrific for many cars. I just don't see the value in it for the turbo 911s. Swapping out the cats makes sense, which I've done. Soul cats and PSE....it's pretty much where it's going to be, minus going with a cat bypass setup.
I still hear people tell me how loud my car is. The cabin really does mask the sound a lot.

A buddy of mine (who drives a 458) repeated told me how good and loud it sounded and that was before I changed the cats.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Its definitely louder with the Akra, and it sounds better. Particularly with a better air filter. You dont even have to ask if you put an exhaust on when you hear it in real life. It screams inside and out. PSE definitely donest flow as well as this muffler and the videos dont do it justice. Is it worth 6 grand? I dont know that I would pay that. But BlazinPond has one used, so someone will get a good deal here.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 596 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Dyno 991.2 carrera T

cats & pipe - 385hp to the wheel
Old 10-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Wish i had this on video. True story. My T has akra slip on and ams filter. My friend has a cobb tuned T running 93 oct map otherwise stock mechanicals. We were on a spirited drive last sun. Did some highway pulls...
4th grear 2500 rpm to redline... tie
3rd gear 2500 rpm to redline... i lost by less than a car length.
i was expecting to get trolled. Moral of the story, when air flow matters the exhaust/intake mod is almost as good as a tune. Im sure 1st and second gear the difference is much bigger. Full dislosure i had 20’ hre ff15 wheels (winter setup) which are also lighter than his stock 5 spoke 20’s.
The akra system definitely produces real life results.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:34 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ukkid74
cats & pipe - 385hp to the wheel
How much was before the upgrades?
Old 10-26-2018, 10:30 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

I didnt run it before but i should have.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:33 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Todays dyno run pic
Old 10-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Cats, pipe & valance - 10k but worth it i feel. Gave power close to GTS but on a T so happy.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:08 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Wish i had this on video. True story. My T has akra slip on and ams filter. My friend has a cobb tuned T running 93 oct map otherwise stock mechanicals. We were on a spirited drive last sun. Did some highway pulls...
4th grear 2500 rpm to redline... tie
3rd gear 2500 rpm to redline... i lost by less than a car length.
i was expecting to get trolled. Moral of the story, when air flow matters the exhaust/intake mod is almost as good as a tune. Im sure 1st and second gear the difference is much bigger. Full dislosure i had 20’ hre ff15 wheels (winter setup) which are also lighter than his stock 5 spoke 20’s.
The akra system definitely produces real life results.
Same deal with my M4. The first mod was full Akrapovic including catless down pipes. (No tune at that stage. ) Before and after dyno, I got 31 Kw to the wheels gain. (Akra claimed 30KW so Verified) Then I raced a buddy who just had a OTS stage 1 tune. Same deal I beat him.

I just did the Vektor headers and I am very happy with those. I want to add Akra 300 cell cats next.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:17 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I got the full Akra system with sport cats, exhaust, and diffuser. I'm really happy with it. I haven't dynoed it, but combined with my tune it makes for a really fast and fun and great sounding car.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:48 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Akra results are very confusing.
They claim 19hp with rear silencer and 24hp with rear silencer and sports cats.

This means that rear silencer adds 19hp and sport cats 4hp.

Honestly based on my basic knowledge I cannot believe these numbers.

PS. I believe the case for full exhaust in the M4 is totally different than a 911. M4 has two silensers and a very long distance exhaust comparing to 911.

PS2. I believe best value for money exhaust upgrade to a 911 with PSE should be headers and sport cats together with PSE.

PS3. I hope Akrapovic will certify their sport cats for road use otherwise new car warranty has issues.

Quick Reply: Anyone install an Akrapovic exhaust on their 991.2 yet?