Sponsored by:

Targa 4 GTS or Cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:25 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Targa 4 GTS or Cabrio?

After spending a full day at PCNA last Friday, finalizing my own Turbo S build and order we built my wife a couple of options. She currently has a 2014 4S cabrio and loves it. She drive a targa at PEC and when she realized the top was electric she expressed interest. We built a targa 4 GTS and matching carbrio as options. Having a hell of a time finding a build slot let alone a discount BUT one of my somewhat local dealers has an incoming targa 4 GTS that almost exactly matches her build and was offered 5% off. Not my typical desired discount but.... This one has 18 way seats vs the 14 she has and chose as well as leather backs to the seats (no interest). It’s a 2017 and arrives at dealer next week. We will be in Seattle and it appears these are hot tamales. Need to decide whether to grab this one or wait and keep fingers crossed.

Her lease doesnt end until January but with pull ahead we can make it work. I’m thinking of buying this one instead of leasing and that’s where I come in. A little nervous about resale values although I’m told the targa’s hold value well. True or False if anyone has real life experience here? It’s also a more expensive build at $167k. A 4s cabrio built her way would be about 10k less.

Looking for opinions on both GTS vs 4s as well as Targa vs Cabrio. Mostly the latter.

Most appreciated!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:48 AM
2001_S15
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my Targa 4 GTS for a couple of weeks now. A few observations:

- I haven't spent much time in a 911 Coupe, but this thing is pretty heavy. I think 3500lb - which is a little heavier than the G35 Coupe I had years ago. The GTS model provides more than enough thrust to move it incredibly quickly, it just feels less "alive" at lower speeds than my S2000, which weighs practically nothing by comparison. This I think is the main disadvantage.
- With the lid closed, it's effectively a coupe. By comparison with my S2000, the top is incredibly well made and looks and feels like the inside of a hard-top from the inside when shut. The Targa's huge glass rear window brightens up the cabin even with the roof shut, and provides for excellent rear visibility. By comparison all convertibles have terrible visibility and blind spots unless the roof is open.
- The Targa roof takes time to operate (at least 30 seconds) and cannot be operated while moving. Compare to the cabrio which allows you to open while you're moving, and the roof operation of the cabrio also takes less time. Another thing to note: because the back window/body section of the Targa comes completely off during roof operation you need to keep say 18" of space behind the back bumper clear during operation. You can't back right up to a wall/hedge/something and expect to open it. I'm not sure if there's a mechanism to detect & prevent a bad day for you in that eventuality, but I've not been inclined to find out!!
- Unless you're a purist, the Targa is the best looking 911 ever. It is stunningly beautiful. The Cabrio is the worst looking 911. The downside to this, depending on your point of view, is the amount of attention you get. I have a Sapphire Blue Targa GTS with the silver rollbar for maximum contrast. I get gawkers and comments etc. It looks more "special" than a normal 911.
- The Targa offers an increased sense of security IMO than a cabrio. There is a huge rollbar offering some protection/enclosure. Yet with the top down and windows down it still feels like an open car (vs. a sunroof).

You would have to try driving with the top down with a cabrio at speed to compare noise levels. I've noticed I can drive with the roof open and windows up on the freeway at around 75 with my wife and carry a conversation. At the wrong speed (e.g. ~50mph) some kind of resonance is hit and there is a loud buffeting noise which makes me want to drop the windows to even it out.

In short, the Targa is probably the most conspicuous 911, definitely a unique car with its own quirks and benefits. If you are looking for a hybrid between coupe and convertible with good visibility, a feeling of more solidity and a unique design presence and don't need that last tenth of viscerality then it's the one for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2001_S15:
AlvinHuyN (04-26-2020), Brrrrot (06-24-2022)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:04 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

What an amazing and detailed response. Thank you so very much. I read it aloud to my son while he was driving and he said mom’s cabrio also makes a buffeting noise at certain speeds. Looks wise the targa is beautiful no doubt. Your combo is sexy!

Thanks so much.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:08 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I like Jeremy Clarksons take (6/29/15) on the Targa - "And why allow practicalities [of whether or not buy a Targa] to stick their awkward noses into the equation? If you do, you won’t buy a 911 Targa. It has too many drawbacks. But if you don’t, you end up with a car that looks nice."

A neat style, the Targa does look nice; but, the drawback for me is, I want the full effect of the top down. And the Targa gets me only half the way there.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-review...1-targa-4-gts/
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

resale 100 percent targa. Honestly I'd go for it anyways presuming you don't think you'd backup to something and open the top and have it wreck the lid...that can't be a cheap fix.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 PM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

I had the struggle too as I had allocation available for targa or cab 4GTS. The looks had me sold on Targa. Drove it and it simply didn't give me open air feeling. It felt like a giant sunroof. Then I realized it has to be completely stopped to operate top and that killed it for me. I live in Toronto Canada. I will keep top open in city driving and close the top even when it's cool out. Just blast the heat. I roll top up or down just before hitting the ramps and Targa can't do that unfortunately. Oh and if you have a cab and have hit rain you know how precious the rolling top operation can be )
Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Going on 3 years of targa 4S ownership and completely pleased. Lovely car, that I have no interest in taking to the track. I would say the torque band of the new cars would suit it well.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. Debating this all night. Based on the numbers I asked the dealer to provide, it seems to me buying this vs leasing might be a little better of an option. Porsche estimates this will lose just shy of 50% in 3 years. If I do a 72 month finance payment is leas than a lease and after 36 months payoff is about $7k lower than the residual value. Looking at values of 2014’s/15’s, it does look like resale could be decent (as in not as bad as the others but not good) and that I might be ahead of the game as compared to the lease. Since it’s my wife’s she can hold it 3 plus years but probably would want anew around then. She’s got to make the decision on which car but I have to at least guide her re: clearance room and lack of full air feeling.
The following users liked this post:
sexfiend (11-08-2019)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 PM
TJ911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up my new Targa 4s 10 days ago and drove it home via Highway 101 from Silicon Valley to Silicon Beach (San Jose to Santa Monica) on a perfect day even by California standards.

I love the current generation Targa and didn't seriously consider much else, but a drive in my friend's 2016 Turbo Cabrio cemented my decision. I didn't love the way the Turbo delivered its power and I was kind of shocked at how bad the visibility in the Cabrio is when the top is up (thankfully LCA helps in this regard).

Anyway, love my Night Blue Targa and agree the comments are present wherever I go, so you have to want to interact with others (I don't particularly, but so far am playing along). My Targa lease says it will retain 60% after 3 years assuming 7,500 mile per year. Despite my bias, can't go wrong either way.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 610 Posts

I also went back and forth, ending up with a Targa order. I know in advance that after two Boxsters with SmartTOPs, I will find the must be stopped to move top will be the biggest annoyance (at least that's my best guess).
I drove a .2 cab and liked it just fine. I went with the Targa mainly because 1. Never had one and 2. They are a little more unusual than cabs (though it feels like they are building more).
The Targa has a look that is fairly unique, whether top up or down.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:26 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
What an amazing and detailed response. Thank you so very much. I read it aloud to my son while he was driving and he said mom’s cabrio also makes a buffeting noise at certain speeds. Looks wise the targa is beautiful no doubt. Your combo is sexy!

Thanks so much.
The Targa will also make the same noise.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:29 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Thanks all. Debating this all night. Based on the numbers I asked the dealer to provide, it seems to me buying this vs leasing might be a little better of an option. Porsche estimates this will lose just shy of 50% in 3 years. If I do a 72 month finance payment is leas than a lease and after 36 months payoff is about $7k lower than the residual value. Looking at values of 2014’s/15’s, it does look like resale could be decent (as in not as bad as the others but not good) and that I might be ahead of the game as compared to the lease. Since it’s my wife’s she can hold it 3 plus years but probably would want anew around then. She’s got to make the decision on which car but I have to at least guide her re: clearance room and lack of full air feeling.
If it's a GTS I think that losing 50% value in 3 years is steep based on historic data. I think 20% is more accurate but conservative based on the 991.1 GTS's.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:22 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

all the other comments are 100% accurate re: the visibility and noise issues with a cabriolet compared to a targa, etc.

my only comment here is, a Targa is not a Cabriolet. dont convince yourself its the 'best of both worlds' if you/your wife really wants a cabriolet with the top down. if you want a cabriolet there is only one way to get one.

if you are torn between a coupe and a cabriolet or you love the look of the Targa or for many other reasons the Targa looks to be awesome.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:33 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by friar93
all the other comments are 100% accurate re: the visibility and noise issues with a cabriolet compared to a targa, etc.

my only comment here is, a Targa is not a Cabriolet. dont convince yourself its the 'best of both worlds' if you/your wife really wants a cabriolet with the top down. if you want a cabriolet there is only one way to get one.

if you are torn between a coupe and a cabriolet or you love the look of the Targa or for many other reasons the Targa looks to be awesome.
we chatted again this morning and she does want the targa 4 gts this time butnwould take a cabrio since we are finding the lease and even financing to be a bit more than we anticipated. I’m thinking of buying it this time seems to make more sense than a lease IF it holds value better than projected 53% residual
Old 06-21-2017, 01:55 PM
R_Rated
Banned

we chatted again this morning and she does want the targa 4 gts this time butnwould take a cabrio since we are finding the lease and even financing to be a bit more than we anticipated. I’m thinking of buying it this time seems to make more sense than a lease IF it holds value better than projected 53% residual
That's easy to make a calculated risk conclusion based on past data. Just look at the selling GTS's vs MSRP on the cars for sale today. Mine is a 2012.2 C2S -[not as valuable as a GTS] and I'm still well above that 50% depreciation number even on trade in. Closer to 30% depreciation but I'm low miles.

Quick Reply: Targa 4 GTS or Cabrio?