Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over no front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 02:51 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Yeah I just took delivery of my .2 C4 and I'm currently debating this as well. I'm either going no front license plate at all here in Hawaii where it is required, or I will just have my local dealership install the OEM front mount plate, not a fan of the tow-hook or other alternative methods (just my opinion).

I think in the end I'm just going to have the OEM Porsche front license plate installed in the center, as the stress of driving without it and giving the police an excuse to pull me over isn't worth it to me. I don't want to fret or stress or do anything other than just enjoy driving this awesome machine when I'm behind the wheel. And, at least for me, at the end of the day it's still a gorgeous car even with the front mount license bracket.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:29 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

The other issue to think about is the likelihood of being stopped by a cop goes up significantly with no front plate if its required in your state. In most states, it does not take much to be over the legal alcohol limit. A nice dinner with a couple of glasses of wine or a drink can quickly turn ugly if you get stopped for no front plate and then fail a breathalyzer. Why offer up another reason to be stopped.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:43 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Cops in my town (small town within San Antonio) have nothing better to do, they'll pull you over for going a few over the SL, rolling stops, etc. No need to give them an excuse.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by onedae
The other issue to think about is the likelihood of being stopped by a cop goes up significantly with no front plate if its required in your state. In most states, it does not take much to be over the legal alcohol limit. A nice dinner with a couple of glasses of wine or a drink can quickly turn ugly if you get stopped for no front plate and then fail a breathalyzer. Why offer up another reason to be stopped.
Not true at all out here in California. A cop will not initiate a traffic stop solely over a missing plate. It could get tacked on if you get pulled over for something else, but you won't get pulled over just for a plate.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:51 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 207 Posts

Thanks for the insight guys. I order the tow hook plate with the goal of just driving to the cops and taking it off. As it seems it will interfere with the front radar is that drive tolerable with the front plate on ?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:52 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not true at all out here in California. A cop will not initiate a traffic stop solely over a missing plate. It could get tacked on if you get pulled over for something else, but you won't get pulled over just for a plate.
Right, I was pulled over for a 75 in a 45 zone Right before getting on the dumbarton coming from University in Palo Alto. Just gave me a warning for the speeding. I was lucky I guess.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:54 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

OMG Archimedes, what a sheltered life you must have!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

"Not true at all out here in California. A cop will not initiate a traffic stop solely over a missing plate. It could get tacked on if you get pulled over for something else, but you won't get pulled over just for a plate. "

Wrong - Maybe true where you are, but in LA they will use any excuse to pull you over. Happened to me twice and several of my friends.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

Funny, the state highway trooper that pulled me over and cited me for no front plates was training a young trooper (who seemed to be digging my car). Could that have had something to do with why I got cited instead of the many, many times I've gotten warnings only? Hmmmm.

Like someone in this thread said, I look at the ticket as a tax to keep my Porsche the way I like it.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree 100%.

And by the way I much rather drill ten holes that nobody can actually see than buy a tow hook for the plate that everyone can see is out of place and looks fugly.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

"Not true at all out here in California. A cop will not initiate a traffic stop solely over a missing plate. It could get tacked on if you get pulled over for something else, but you won't get pulled over just for a plate. "

Wrong - Maybe true where you are, but in LA they will use any excuse to pull you over. Happened to me twice and several of my friends.
Here in the OC, if they attempted to stop every vehicle without a front plate, the streets would be nearly empty. Same goes for cellphone usage.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I live in Maryland and the policy on front plate enforcement varies by county. In some counties, police will never stop you, but in others there's a virtual 100% chance of being stopped. Cops like stopping cars without plates because it gives them the opportunity to find some other far more serious violation.
Since I always have a glass or two of wine with my dinner, I don't need a cop stopping me for not having a front plate.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:09 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Unless you weigh 80 pounds or less, a glass or two of wine will not get you into trouble.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:12 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
The plate in the picture using the tow hook could be moved a couple of inches towards the center of the bumper, not enough to center it but aesthetically more pleasing than in the picture. Also, the plate looks far better when it's framed. I purchased an inexpensive chrome frame for the plate and it gave the plate a "finished" look.
Bottom line is that I would prefer not having a plate on the front, but I don't want to give the cops a reason for stopping me. I now feel relaxed when I see State and local cop cars approach me.
Agreed. I got some Carbon Fibre frames and they look great. Why give the law a reason to pull you over ? I really don't get it but to each his own.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm in So Cal and got pulled over solely for a missing plate, and got ticket for it.

Quick Reply: Pulled over no front license plate