Sponsored by:

Pulled over no front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 01:32 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
What car would you prefer? The tow hook one especially messes with the Aerokit spoiler... don't you think? Or would you rather have screw holes in the bumper that will limit the resale with many potential buyers?

Screws in bumper is fine by me, it's just a car, I think the tow hook option looks horrible.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by LionelB
This would be fine but mine seems to be a "fix it citation", what happens if I just ignore this ? Receive the ticket in the mail and pay it ?
I believe in California you can elect to just pay the fine, but I'm not sure. Over 20 years driving without a plate here and I've never been ticketed. If I were, I'd just say that I'm traveling and can't get to it and would rather just pay the fine.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by KenTO
Screws in bumper is fine by me, it's just a car, I think the tow hook option looks horrible.
No need to drill the bumper to center the plate. Just do a Skene plate mount.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:16 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

^If the law is the law then I'd take the screw holes. If someone wants car badly the holes can be fixed/filled if sold in a state/province that allows no front plate. To each his own but seems like a lot of work dodging the law. Everyone else has a front plate so why shouldnt you? To each his own.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:30 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
^If the law is the law then I'd take the screw holes. If someone wants car badly the holes can be fixed/filled if sold in a state/province that allows no front plate. To each his own but seems like a lot of work dodging the law. Everyone else has a front plate so why shouldnt you? To each his own.
It also depends on what your car is for. My Targa is a daily driver, so it has a front plate screwed in, but my Ferrari 458 was a an occasional cruiser, so I could get away with no front plate, plus I'm in good with local LE.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:31 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Good point . Makes sense to me.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Follow the money.

The name of the game is to get you to give your money to the government.
Your plan should be to limit speeding tickets, as they add insurance surcharges and stuff like that.

So.

By not running a front plate, you give the cop that pulls you over for speeding another option for a ticket.
He writes the no plate, the gov gets more of your money, you avoid the speeding ticket.
Win, Win, Win
Old 06-20-2017, 08:53 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
...just pay the fine and forget it. Consider it the tax for driving without a plate.
This is what I do.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I'd have to get a **** load of tickets before I'd put a plate on the front of my car.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:59 PM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there a difference between the Porsche tow hole screw and other brands?
Amazon has plenty of nice tow hole plate mounts for all kinds of cars (BMW and Infiniti are on top), and I'm wondering if those would work too. They all look identical in the pictures.
When I narrow my search to Porsche, I only get the platypus mount and those are more expensive.

I only need one for the occasional NYC drive, so most of the time it would not be on.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:34 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
Follow the money.

The name of the game is to get you to give your money to the government.
Your plan should be to limit speeding tickets, as they add insurance surcharges and stuff like that.

So.

By not running a front plate, you give the cop that pulls you over for speeding another option for a ticket.
He writes the no plate, the gov gets more of your money, you avoid the speeding ticket.
Win, Win, Win
This similar situation happened to me once a long time ago. Instead of a speeding ticket I got a ticket for something hanging in the rear view mirror. I was about to remove it as he handed me the ticket and his response was "I am not asking you to remove it, I am just letting you know why you got a ticket".
Old 06-20-2017, 10:42 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

In Texas the ticket for this was changed from a fix-it to a $200 fine since so many were just using the fix-it route. But most cops won't enforce it and you still see a lot of people ignoring it. In my 19 years in Texas I've only received one ticket about 15 years ago and that was in a city with a known love for writing tickets (Lakeway).

At a restaurant recently several motorcycle cops parked next to me and one of them told me about the tow-hook mount available for my car; but still said he personally wouldn't ticket me for it unless he was already ticketing me for something else. I kindly thanked him for letting me know.

As to the statement of "Not sure what you mean, since Porsche has always provided a front plate mount.". I think the answer is obvious: Yeah, if you don't mind ugly twisted holes screwed into your bumper front and center... something that seems incompatible with our pride in our cars.
I agree--the stock plate mount looks bad and mounting the base is destructive.

While I lived in Houston, I ran without a front plate for years, first on my 964 and then Boxster S. Until I was stopped twice in the same day, and got one verbal warning and one written fix-ticket (circa 2010). That's when I made this aluminum frame (attached with high-strength double-side tape):

Old 06-21-2017, 02:09 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

One of the very few front plates I've seen that I don't mind so much.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:30 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Not worth the hassle for me and I don't like to give them any excuse to pull me over. I have an OEM bracket for an adaptive cruise control-equpped car. There is a different OEM bracket for cars that have ACC - I think it sits slightly higher.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:50 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

What car would you prefer? The tow hook one especially messes with the Aerokit spoiler... don't you think? Or would you rather have screw holes in the bumper that will limit the resale with many potential buyers?

The plate in the picture using the tow hook could be moved a couple of inches towards the center of the bumper, not enough to center it but aesthetically more pleasing than in the picture. Also, the plate looks far better when it's framed. I purchased an inexpensive chrome frame for the plate and it gave the plate a "finished" look.
Bottom line is that I would prefer not having a plate on the front, but I don't want to give the cops a reason for stopping me. I now feel relaxed when I see State and local cop cars approach me.

Quick Reply: Pulled over no front license plate