Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Help On Out of State Purchases?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Autonomous
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Help On Out of State Purchases?

Hi There,

I just put a deposit down on a 991.1 with a dealer outside of my state. I specifically went with a dealer so they would help handle all the registration and shipping logistics for me. But they are now telling me I need to ship the car, SMOG the car, finalize the registration etc.

What is the point of working with a dealer and paying the dealer fees if they are not helping. Is this normal for out of state?

I know if I was buying a brand new car they would hand deliver me the car. I feel a little second class right now being a used buyer.

Thanks
Tim
Old 06-19-2017, 05:22 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

you should have been more specific with them before you made any deal
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

At least the dealer should be able to help you with the shipping logistics. Mine did.

But you can't expect the out of state dealer to be able to smog your car and register it for you, new or used. I don't know where you live but here in California, you are the one who has to bring it to the DMV for inspection (after the smog test, of course), new or used.

Anyway, it is easy to find a logistics company to ship your car. Just search this forum. I keep hearing a company called Reliable.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:53 PM
leopard print
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all states have the same smog regulations, which is why they're asking you to smog it yourself. Even if you were buying a new car and they handled the shipping, you're still on the hook for paying the shipping fee. I'm guessing they can take care of it if you asked them to and let them know you'll be paying for it.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:28 AM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Auto,
As stated above, the shipping can be negotiated, but is your responsibility. The smog and registration is yours. If you buy in the same state you live they just do the paperwork for you at the dealer. Call the DMV in your state and get their requirements to register. They want the taxes for buying and registering. I bought in California and had it shipped to me then had to go to AZ DMV and did the registration etc.
Hope that helps!
Old 06-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Autonomous
2nd Gear

Thanks guys - I guess this isn't abnormal treatment then. I reached out to some of the recommended shippers on the site so time to get this thing out here!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:05 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It would be helpful for future discussions if you have your location in your profile.

And when taking pictures of the car after it arrives, be sure to cover that license plate like "GraSox" does!

LOL

Anyway... best of luck on the new purchase.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your state requires that, not your dealership. You should be more knowledgeable before simply blaming your dealer.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:52 PM
caritch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just shipped a car. Covered carrier. Great service! Let me know if you want the contact info.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:46 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Autonomous
I reached out to some of the recommended shippers on the site so time to get this thing out here!
Suggest you give this company a try. www.metrogistics.com

And ask for this guy: j.mintzer@metrogistics.com
Old 06-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Am I missing something? One way airline ticket and drive it back
Old 06-21-2017, 09:41 AM
unibrain
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Am I missing something? One way airline ticket and drive it back
Exactly what I did. Purchased my car in Las Vegas and drove it back to Portland. It was a great way to bond with the car.

Gaudin Porsche took care of all the paperwork and sent it to my local DMV. I had to take the car to the DMV for a VIN inspection. The car was new enough, 2014, that no smog/DEQ inspection was needed.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 AM
Kennethjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by visitador
At least the dealer should be able to help you with the shipping logistics. Mine did.

But you can't expect the out of state dealer to be able to smog your car and register it for you, new or used. I don't know where you live but here in California, you are the one who has to bring it to the DMV for inspection (after the smog test, of course), new or used.

Anyway, it is easy to find a logistics company to ship your car. Just search this forum. I keep hearing a company called Reliable.
I bought my 911s from a California dealer, I live in NY, they said they were required to register in NY and collect sales tax up front. They hired someone in Ny to register car. I thought they were nuts but wouldn't sell me the car unless they handled everything for NYS registration.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

OP, on the off chance you're bringing the car into CA or another smog state, make sure you drive the car around at highway speeds for about 15-20 minutes before you head to the smog place. On the chance the car sat and the battery got low, elements of the smog system will reset and you need them to be working again before you smog. I learned this the hard way. In CA, if you show up and this happens, if the guy goes by the letter of the law, you just failed and used up one of your two chances.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:22 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Autonomous
Hi There,

I just put a deposit down on a 991.1 with a dealer outside of my state. I specifically went with a dealer so they would help handle all the registration and shipping logistics for me. But they are now telling me I need to ship the car, SMOG the car, finalize the registration etc.

What is the point of working with a dealer and paying the dealer fees if they are not helping. Is this normal for out of state?

I know if I was buying a brand new car they would hand deliver me the car. I feel a little second class right now being a used buyer.

Thanks
Tim
I got my CPO'd 991.2 from Nashville Porsche. I declined dealer help with out of state registration (live in DE). 2 reasons: 1. selling a car and wanted to get tax abatement when i registered the car. and 2. I can pay registration fee (really a 4.25% tax) with my credit card to get points on my card. The only thing is that if you register yourself the dealer may or may not provide you with a temporary out of state tag.

Quick Reply: Dealer Help On Out of State Purchases?