mirror glass on sport design mirrors for 991.1/2

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 01:08 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default mirror glass on sport design mirrors for 991.1/2

Hi Folks,

Does anyone here happen to have a picture of the back of the mirror glass on the sport design mirrors? I'd like to take a look at the attachment clips in order to prepare myself for when I go to swap out the mirror housing for a CF housing. If you have detailed instructions, that would be even better.

Thank you,

John

Last edited by JW1; 01-07-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:34 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a diy for this? I am thinking of ordering the cf mirrors. I was wondering do I have to remove the the whole mirror assembly or the cover snaps off from the base? Thanks
Old 06-17-2017, 01:43 PM
JW1
Racer

Hi Mike,

I don't but I plan on printing out the instructions from the PIWIS TSI when I am ready. When are you planning on doing yours? I won't have my car until end of August anyways. I believe you don't have to remove the whole mirror assembly. Just the glass to get access to a few screws that hold the mirror frame and mirror housing together. Are you looking at the 4 pc CF set or just thinking about using the stock CF caps? I've also asked my SR to hook me up with the install when I pick up the car so hopefully he could deliver on that.

John
Old 06-17-2017, 01:52 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by JW1
Hi Mike,

I don't but I plan on printing out the instructions from the PIWIS TSI when I am ready. When are you planning on doing yours? I won't have my car until end of August anyways. I believe you don't have to remove the whole mirror assembly. Just the glass to get access to a few screws that hold the mirror frame and mirror housing together. Are you looking at the 4 pc CF set or just thinking about using the stock CF caps? I've also asked my SR to hook me up with the install when I pick up the car so hopefully he could deliver on that.

John
i plan to get the oem cf caps and wanted to know how involved it is, if I can do this myself or something I want the dealer or body shop to do. How do I go about removing the glass?
Old 06-17-2017, 02:28 PM
JW1
Racer

Are you aware that the oem caps leave a portion of the upper housing uncovered (border around mirror and inside surface that faces car window? Unless your car is black, it will stand out like a sore thumb.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:34 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by JW1
Are you aware that the oem caps leave a portion of the upper housing uncovered (border around mirror and inside surface that faces car window? Unless your car is black, it will stand out like a sore thumb.

I actually like that look instead of making the mirrors looks completely washed out.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:41 PM
JW1
Racer

Cool. So I bet you will still have to do the same steps to take the mirror housing apart to replace the cap. Are you looking to do it soon? I didn't plan on trying to get the instructions off of the PIWIS TSI site until maybe sometime in August since I don't yet have my car. I forgot to download it the last time I was on there with paid for access.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:09 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by JW1
Cool. So I bet you will still have to do the same steps to take the mirror housing apart to replace the cap. Are you looking to do it soon? I didn't plan on trying to get the instructions off of the PIWIS TSI site until maybe sometime in August since I don't yet have my car. I forgot to download it the last time I was on there with paid for access.

i dont plan on doing this until I get my Akrapovic pipe and diffuser to have some matching cf parts on the car. So roughly around the same time as you in Aug. I couldn't find any diy except for plenum's post on how to removal the mirror but doesn't go over how to take the mirror apart.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:41 PM
JW1
Racer

I saw Plenum's post and video also. For the sport design housing swap, I don't think we will need to remove the entire mirror housing from the base. Therefore, we won't need to take apart the door panel. The picture below shows a few thin metal brackets behind the mirror. Sorry for the bad quality picture. It seems that it will be very easy to remove the glass. That picture was one reason why I started this post. I wanted a better picture of the back showing the brackets so that I could examine it to determine how it mounts to the housing. If I decide to pay for another hour of access to PIWIS TSI, I'll send you the instructions that I download.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:35 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by JW1
I saw Plenum's post and video also. For the sport design housing swap, I don't think we will need to remove the entire mirror housing from the base. Therefore, we won't need to take apart the door panel. The picture below shows a few thin metal brackets behind the mirror. Sorry for the bad quality picture. It seems that it will be very easy to remove the glass. That picture was one reason why I started this post. I wanted a better picture of the back showing the brackets so that I could examine it to determine how it mounts to the housing. If I decide to pay for another hour of access to PIWIS TSI, I'll send you the instructions that I download.

if we don't have to remove the door panel that is great news, I don't want to tear apart my interior. If you get better instructions definitely post it, it would help me a lot and anyone in the future doing this.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:56 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9572...-question.html

Post #8
Old 06-17-2017, 07:00 PM
JW1
Racer

Thanks Pashaj! You are a master of searches. Or I'm just a dope. I vote for both.

I think the glass should be pretty much the same as the one from the sport design version. At least the way it attaches to the motor should be the same. I'll verify with PIWIS TSI.

Last edited by JW1; 06-17-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1
Thanks Pashaj! You are a master of searches.
Not really, I did the switch from stock to CF about two months ago so I knew it was posted somewhere. Takes about 20 minutes.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by pashaj
this is exactly what I need, I hope for the sport design it is very similar.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:15 PM
*991*
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 94 Posts

What is PIWIS TSI?

Quick Reply: mirror glass on sport design mirrors for 991.1/2