Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratches on wheels from tire change - what to expect from insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:16 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Max...
@DerekS - do you think it would be a "while you wait" repair at RAC Performance? That might prove to be quicker than a dealer appt.
When they did my wheel refinishing, it was an overnight deal.

Tire replacements there were same-day while you wait.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
You can demand whatever you like, but demanding new wheels for cosmetic damage is laughable. If someone puts a ding in your door because they inadvertently opened their car door too wide, do you expect a new car door?

About ten years ago while driving on the highway, a truck ran over a stone which went airborne and it damaged one of my wheels. I called my Porsche dealership, and they put me in contact with a mobile wheel repair service that repaired the wheel perfectly, not good but perfectly. I knew exactly where the damage was and I couldn't detect where the repair was made. The guy charged me $75 back then and it took him about ten minutes to make the repair.

Hopefully it won't be necessary to sand and repaint the entire wheel, since this would require loss of the wheels for at least a day. Moreover, it would probably be necessary to repaint the fourth wheel since I have yet to see the repainted wheel match the color of the unpainted wheel perfectly.

Finally, I agree with others about whom I allow to replace my tires. From the school of hard knocks I've learned that this is not a place to try to save a few dollars.
You are welcome to think it's laughable but as I previously stated, I have personally witnessed this exact scenario multiple times before and having worked in the aftermarket wheel industry for a fairly long time, I can assure you I know what I'm talking about.

If the OP puts the burden of repair on the shop 9 times out of 10, they will just pony up for replacement wheels instead. I've done it. My competitors have done it. The only time I have seen repair as an option is if the wheel manufacturer (in this case Porsche) offers repair and recertification.

The damage to the wheels is too deep to be considered only cosmetic. You can see that there is actually material missing and this is not just cosmetic. Wheels are looked at differently because they are considered a safety feature on the vehicle. Your door ding comparison is apples and oranges.

I'm not implying that there is structural damage here but if the wheels are repaired by Costco on a high performance vehicle, like the 911, and then fail at a later date causing damage/injury, there is major liability for them to worry about. Costco and any third party shop that is even remotely competent knows this..

Last edited by phow; 06-18-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:15 PM
...Max...
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: after a month, they decided to stonewall -- "no admission of guilt" and an offer of $75/wheel. Will have to try and apply pressure via Costco corporate; if that goes nowhere, possibly small claims court (not so much about the money now, I'm just royally ticked off and want to pay back with interest...)
Old 07-12-2017, 03:32 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think it's reasonable to expect new wheels for that kind of damage. They can be fixed for about $100 each.

It's just a car.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:35 PM
...Max...
Advanced

Dealer's quote was $225/per and that was what I expected Costco to cover. If they do force me to escalate, I might as well ask for new wheels...
Old 07-12-2017, 03:35 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

^exactly. Going to Costco again?
Old 07-12-2017, 03:36 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ...Max...
Dealer's quote was $225/per and that was what I expected Costco to cover. If they do force me to escalate, I might as well ask for new wheels...
New wheels will be $8-900 each won't they? Are they all damaged?
Old 07-12-2017, 03:40 PM
...Max...
Advanced

So far I only asked them to pay for the refinish - 3 x $225 (plus tax). My big gripe now is that they're trying to deny guilt which their shop ppl have admitted on the spot.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:50 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Man, that sucks. And fully sympathize. Every time a stupid dealer does damage to my vehicle, the first thing they say is car was like that. At that point they make it personal, since I'm basically being called a liar. Anyway, with no dealer anywhere close, what I always do is remove wheels from my sports car myself, and take them to a Discount Tire, which is the best local shop. And after my pleas of no damage, warnings I'd demand a new wheel if damaged, and photos before and after, they still always manage to damage my wheels some. But as mentioned, they always say DT never pays for new wheels just for cosmetic damage. That's why I HATE having to change tires. Wanted to get rid of the POS F1s on my car, but will wait until worn. If I get the wheels damaged again, at least car will be like 2 years old, with some other bruises, and not brand new. Good luck with the claim.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:10 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Sucks for sure. REALLY frustrating. I get my HREs done at a place that does race prep and winters at dealer. Both have come back PERFECT. Just had AGs on SQ5 refinished under warranty and another shop handled it. No scratches but balance isn't the same as Race prep shop. I'd be afraid to go anywhere else. My regular guy BP (before Porsche) scratched my Vossens and denied it.....no more.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:47 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

There are mobile wheel restoration services in every major city that can do an excellent job - you won't be able to tell the difference when they are done. Average price is around $ 200 a wheel. Since you have three to repair, that's $ 600. Trying to get brand new wheels OEM is around $ 5,000. Costco might fight for $ 5K, doubtful they will put up much of a complaint for $ 600. Your choice on how much time to invest in a claim.

Wheel Dynamics is correct - you have to have the right machine. Costco and more tire stores will never have them. At the very least, one of the 5-arm machines and someone who knows how to operate it correctly will do.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:57 AM
...Max...
Advanced

Costco might fight for $ 5K, doubtful they will put up much of a complaint for $ 600
What can I say -- they have. See upthread.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:24 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I've done this dance on damaged wheels before. Likely you are dealing at the Store Management level and they're pushing back.

Look at your Small Claims court limits in your state and see what it is. You want to stay under that as Civil Court requires a lawyer and is big bucks to start up a lawsuit for the cost of brand new wheels. And, you want to be "reasonable", small claims court judges like reasonable people. Repairs are reasonable, replacements are not. Remember, the judge probably drives a Buick and is going to think $ 2,000 or more for a tiny knick on a wheel is silly.

You will need to contact the State Corporation Commission and find out who the Registered Agent in your state for Costco. That's who gets notice of the Small Claims court action and who you list as the party being served notice. It's probably going to be a lawyer in your state retained to represent Costco. Repair the wheels, get the bill and sue for that amount. Don't try for interest and silly stuff like that - just the actual repair bill. Remember - be reasonable. Not emotional. Don't get angry, and don't try to escalate into some kind of big deal.

Do the filing fee and have the Registered Agent served.

Once the Registered Agent is served, they will contact Costco Corporate as how to proceed. Costco Corporate will call the Store Manager and probably chew them out for letting it get to this point instead of resolving the issue.

They are not going to go to Small Claims for two reasons. 1) Looks bad to all those people in small claims court that day of the trial and many will be Costco customers. 2) their attorney fees to represent Costco will be about 3 to 4 x the claim amount if not more, and they know they are going to lose. They will call you up and offer to pay the claim if you agree to drop the lawsuit, most assuredly.

Basically its push comes to shove, and once you shove - they cave. I've done this three times on wheels before I got smart and learned not to trust "Yeah, we can do those wheels". Now I go look at their machines first to see if they have the right equipment.

You get smarter as you get older.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:12 AM
...Max...
Advanced

Likely you are dealing at the Store Management level and they're pushing back.
Hah... I wish. Costco has claims processing for everything outsourced to a 3rd party and that's who I've been dealing with so far. "Store Management" turned out to be a boy barely out of his teens who couldn't even say if the claims processors even asked anyone at his store about the incident.

I think I will try to pursue this with Costco corporate (if I can actually get hold of anyone there) and if that fails, try BBB. I doubt my ire will last all the way to small claims court, but it might. Monetarily this is, of course, pointless -- lost time will easily outweigh the puny amounts involved.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:56 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

^BBB is a complete joke.

Inform Costco that you are contacting the state's attorney general's office, and posting your experience on every online review website. That should get the "wheels" moving on your compensation

Quick Reply: Scratches on wheels from tire change - what to expect from insurance?