Sponsored by:

Homelink troubleshooting help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:35 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Homelink troubleshooting help?

Hello: Trying to figure out how to program the Homelink on my newly delivered 991.2 C4S. Followed the directions exactly as specified, no luck. This is not a new technology, other cars take 2 minutes (or less) to do, so why is Porsche's version so complicated? Anyone have any advice , or do I need to go to Walmart and just get a universal remote?
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:50 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a button reset, and then follow the instructions until you get three blinks from the blinkers.

On my car it took a couple repetitions to get the three blinks.

If the door works, great. If not, go to you door opener unit and press the "learn" button. Go back to the car quickly and press the button in the car repeatedly. After a few presses the door should start working.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:13 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Keep trying, especially if your garage opener uses a rolling code.

And even if you get it to work, if your opener is like mine, it may decide not to work some days (but then be fine the next day).
Old 06-07-2017, 12:47 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

We made some changes to the garage recently and had to reprogram all the Homelink cars and other devices. Everything programmed instantly except the 911. Out of frustration, I parked the Porsche inside the garage instead of on the driveway just outside the garage door (as per the Homelink instructions). This worked and the Porsche programmed perfectly. After all the tears and swear-words to get it programmed, his lordship then remembered that his handyman and service guy had to also move the Porsche inside to program some years ago.

Maybe try that on your car.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:54 AM
SonicJLee
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

After multiple unsuccessful attempts on different days (with the garage door going up and down many times), I replaced the battery on the garage door opener's remote transmitter and the homelink successfully programmed on the next attempt. Perhaps that might work for you too.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Push the button on the garage unit as seen in some Youtubes.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:30 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I agree with the recommendations to get the car very close while programming. My 991's Homelink usually won't open the door until I'm right next to it while our other cars can usually hit it from 100+ feet away.

First you just need to get the car to acknowledge programming of the remote like asia first recommended. Be sure to keep the remote you are using for training near to the nose of the car. Once you have that acknowledged by the flashes, then you can deal with getting the door's receiver to learn the car.

The 997 models had the same problem. You can find a lot of suggestions on both the 991 and 997 forums by searching the forum for "Homelink programming" or similar.
The following users liked this post:
Ben Snow (12-16-2019)

Trending Topics

Old 06-07-2017, 11:01 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

I own a 991.2 and the Homelink worked fine for 6 months, intermittently for a few and now not at all, despite attempts to reprogram. I've decided to move because of it...
(Well, I am moving and decided to ride it out with the regular garage door opener until I move rather than take it to the dealer.)
Old 06-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried multiple times to program Homelink on my 991.1 without success. So I went to the Homelink website and they have the procedure for the specific car and brand of opener and it took me only one or two tries to get it. I might add that the procedure was slightly different than in my 911 owner’s manual, mainly holding the remote near the buttons inside the car instead of outside in front of the front bumper. Whether or not that was why I couldn’t get it to work before, it worked the way the Homelink website described and that’s all that matters to me.

There is also a possibility that your opener's operating manual isn't correct. I tried to program a key pad many times without success until I called the Genie customer service rep. She led me through step-by-step and it worked fine. Problem was my owners manual had instructions for the previous genie model and not for my model!

Good luck.

Pete
Old 06-07-2017, 11:26 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Porsche & Homelink are a BAD combo
Old 06-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine works fine for two doors, 991.1 with Genie openers.

What's the problem?
Old 06-07-2017, 12:08 PM
vivekg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I set mine up was no problem (991.2 C4S). Second time I had some trouble and finally figured out i had to move the lights from Auto to off for it to work properly.

Don't know if that helps, but just and FYI.

Vivek
Old 06-07-2017, 02:15 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by asia
Do a button reset, and then follow the instructions until you get three blinks from the blinkers.

On my car it took a couple repetitions to get the three blinks.

If the door works, great. If not, go to you door opener unit and press the "learn" button. Go back to the car quickly and press the button in the car repeatedly. After a few presses the door should start working.
This works. It helps if you have another person helping you with the "learn" button while you press the car's button
Old 06-07-2017, 03:37 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks everyone! After numerous attempts of doing essentially the exact same thing many times (what was it Einstein said?) I finally got it to work! (Incidentally in doing so, it cleared my other remotes so I had to then reprogram those).
Old 06-28-2017, 11:52 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vivekg
The first time I set mine up was no problem (991.2 C4S). Second time I had some trouble and finally figured out i had to move the lights from Auto to off for it to work properly.

Don't know if that helps, but just and FYI.

Vivek
Just spent an incredibly frustrating night trying to program a 2012 Spyder. Turns out similar issue - it was programming just fine, but the lights were not flashing three times. My lights were on Auto as well...

So the steps to program worked, but the response wasn't there to confirm it. Finally just went through all the steps and sure enough, opened garage door.

I am guessing there is really something to the lights being in the "off" mode.

Quick Reply: Homelink troubleshooting help?