Sponsored by:

GT3 Test drive from the perspective of a Carrera S owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:01 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by quattr0
I understand you asked Jarhead32 but...I have a '17 C2 and just drove '15 GT3 a week or two ago so I could somewhat relate to 991.2 C4 you have. This is my personal opinion: the NA engine from small streets driving didn't wow me. If you hit it hard, you will probably enjoy at the track or you probably be in trouble with officers at non-track area. Don't get the bucket seats unless you're single and don't mind a bit inconvenient getting in and out. Comfort (handling wise) is not an issue for me in the GT3 as DD. It would probably get old quickly for me if it's a DD due to engine sound (it's angry vs. my a tad dull turbo C2 w PSE). Again this is personal opinion. The steering feel though, 2nd to none!
No I appreciate your input as well!! I'm happy you chimed in. If I have the choice of either buying a .1 and/or speccing a .2 GT3 after this lease is up, I would indeed go with the sofas opposed to LWBS. The "wringing it out" aspect to the GT3 NA engine really appeals to me (at least in theory). With our .2 base Carrera engine, the turbo kick at around 3000-3500 RPM makes the car feel like a not-so-mini actual 911 Turbo (my only experience being the 997 Turbo) where you get that huge hammer feeling inconsistent with the response at lower RPMs, and therefore even in manual mode at lower gears I am rarely above 3000-3500 RPM in daily drives... Likely would be the same issue with the GT3 as its insanely fast, but I am at least longing/hoping for the predictability and response of a linear power delivery. And the sound....I actually am pleasantly surprised with the .2 base engine sound with PSE as well (burbling after de-acceleration aside) after reading some people's negative opinions on it but I know it won't come close to the GT3's engine sound whether in 3.8 or 4.0 configuration.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:13 PM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Again it seems like a GT3 in Hawaii would be akin to using a sledgehammer to kill a fly (massive overkill) since we have lower speed limits, no track, and I would solely use it as a daily driver so you lose a ton of creature comforts. But the passion, design, NA engine, and heritage still do speak to me and there are at least 5-10 991 GT3s and GT3RS's on island being driven around and used just as I intend to as one hell of a daily driver..
I don't live in Hawaii but I do live in a state which has strict speed rules. I can go to the track, but likely won't or if I do, probably not a lot, likely just to get a couple times. 99-100% of my driving will not be on a race track.

But that said, if I got a GT3 it would be a semi DD. Meaning a lot of the time it will be driven like a normal car, I will have a second or third car so I won't be driving up to NYC on I95 etc.. I see Corvettes and 911 turbos all the time, and M3's and countless other cars that are driven less than they are capable of.

I think many times people will like a car because it's special. Someone may have a Bugatti or an Enzo and don't track the car. They have the car because they like it, it looks nice, it sounds nice, they may take it to a car meet. There is a lot I can do with a GT3 instead of driving it on the race track. I might be able to get away with more here on the mainland, if I see a nice back road, I might be able to grab 3 gear at redline or maybe 3-4 shift on the HW. But extra legal speeds like +40 mph are not in my area (unless I go to a track).

I have not driven the new GT3, have driven an old GT3 and it was a smash even on public roads.

This video, the designer saying has power down low. I am not sure what this means, but he sounds convinced that it is not a dog down low.

he is talking about the low rev TQ at 14:10 mark on the video

https://drivetribe.com/p/AAtdiPf7Soe...S82EKZd9B-0-Gw

Last edited by rai; 06-22-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:35 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

...Again it seems like a GT3 in Hawaii would be akin to using a sledgehammer to kill a fly (massive overkill) since we have lower speed limits, no track, and I would solely use it as a daily driver so you lose a ton of creature comforts. But the passion, design, NA engine, and heritage still do speak to me and there are at least 5-10 991 GT3s and GT3RS's on island being driven around and used just as I intend to as one hell of a daily driver..
If you primarily want a special car you can appreciate and take everywhere, a GT3 will be that. If you want a GT3 because you'd enjoy driving it hard and close to the limits, .... that's the reason I'd want one, and in Hawaii that would be trouble.

Personally for driving on Hawaii streets I'd be looking for a motorcycle or a convertible that I had a good emotional connection with. I'd bet the most fun car would be a lightweight underpowered ragtop you could thrash on without breaking the law. 0-60 in ten seconds means revving through a few gears and hearing the engine get a workout. 0-60 in 3 seconds means you're breaking the law already, get on the brakes.

I'd say the best answer is to get all of them. A motorcycle, a smaller convertible (Miata/Alfa/S2000/Elise/Wrangler), and the GT3 or a 458 or something exciting.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:15 PM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if the car isn't "fun" at lower RPM or doesn't come alive until the 7500-9000 band, I doubt I would really get to taste that experience other than a great 0-60 spot where you have to stop before merging on the freeway on one exit here in Honolulu.
if you are interested to look at the power delivery.

the GT3 TQ curve is so linear and still has some good TQ in the lower RPMs

GT3 power graph

GTS power graph (note the base Carrera and S both look the same but with lower power/TQ) just gobs of TQ down low

Quick Reply: GT3 Test drive from the perspective of a Carrera S owner