Sponsored by:

Cayman/Motorcycle-Idiot crash in Austin

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:11 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Cayman/Motorcycle-Idiot crash in Austin

A while back here in Austin was a sickening reminder of how extreme driving can go wrong on the streets. Amazingly no one was killed. Here is an excerpt of an email I received from Planet-9 that has some details:
On the first weekend of April 2017 a motorcycle rider driving on a suspended license crossed over the center double yellow line while filming himself and other riding buddies for their YouTube channel and impacted the 2006 Cayman S owned by Peter L. The motorcycle rider had recently been involved in another accident and was carrying only the minimum amount of required insurance in the state of Texas. Peter L, the owner of the Cayman S has been told by the motorcycle owner's insurance company that his Porsche is totaled and they are offering only about 50% of the price Peter paid for the car approximately 6 months prior due to policy limits and their so-called book value.

Meanwhile Peter has been in and out of the hospital with spinal injuries and multiple herniated disks. The minimal personal injury protection afforded by the motorcyclists policy has almost been exhausted and Peter is still facing more treatments and recovery. Peter is also facing monthly car payments for a car which is totaled and for which he has not been able to receive just compensation for from the insurance company.

Therefore, Planet-9.com has started this campaign to help Peter pay his car payments until he is able to get a fair and just settlement from the insurance company and/or the motorcycle rider who claims he has no income despite receiving substantial royalties from his YouTube channel. Any surplus funds above covering the cost of Peters car payments will be used to assist in the payment of medical bills and potentially recover his Cayman from salvage status should it be possible to do so.

Please consider donating at this GoFundMe Link: https://www.gofundme.com/cayman-s-accident-recovery

For those who haven't seen the damage that this wreckless and callous rider has caused there are topic threads on Planet-9.com about the incident...

Here is a link to a summary with additional information from FlatSixes: http://flatsixes.com/porsche-culture...omment-1277488, oddly enough including an image of the Porsche emblem imprinted in the rider's arm.

Just for those maybe considering not clicking through, here are a couple of key shots from this incident

Old 05-20-2017, 10:27 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Just horrible.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

That much damage to the Cayman from a MC! Wow. That musta hurt.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

This guy is a ******* idiot and I wish I could kick him in the face repeatedly. There I said it.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

For those with some familiarity with the area, this crash was not actually in Austin itself but just north of Lake Travis on Destination Way in a neighborhood known as the Hollows in the Lago Vista area. It is the long windy road that ends at the upper left of this photo.

Last edited by StormRune; 05-20-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

If you find that moron's YouTube channel, you would understand he is a total dumbass who needs to never operate motorized equipment again.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

Sadly, YouTube is filled with these clowns. Anybody with a GoPro and a big ego thinks they are God's gift to mankind.

Best to the Cayman driver. Hope he collects!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:54 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
This guy is a ******* idiot and I wish I could kick him in the face repeatedly. There I said it.

Disgusting. The only pleasure I derived from this story was seeing Gammie (leg. hopefully) flying through the air. This window licker could have killed the Cayman driver whilst carrying almost zero insurance.

I love bikes. However, the militant attitude of some riders has become a huge problem - a month ago I was stoppped at a light in Midtown Atlanta. A large convoy of Mad Max wannabes sped through the intersection. After the light went red, the convoy continued to stream through the intersection. One of them then decided to stop in the middle of the the road, in what I can only assume was an attempt to block the opposing traffic with a now long green light. They were making a huge assumption that everyone was paying attention. I'll admit to being sorely tempted, but it takes a lot of work to remove bone fragments from aluminum. And I'm lazy.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:23 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

This seems like one of the best places to find supportive people. I just made a donation to the gofundme campaign: https://www.gofundme.com/cayman-s-accident-recovery

Hopefully, what comes around never goes around... but I'd like to think I'd also find support here if I were in a similar situation.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:34 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Too bad Peter was not driving this:

Old 05-21-2017, 05:33 AM
911_FTW
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how Insurance works in the US but would the Porsche drivers insurance cover his car etc ?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:39 AM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911_FTW
Not sure how Insurance works in the US but would the Porsche drivers insurance cover his car etc ?
It varies by state, and un/underinsured motorist coverage is optional in some states if I recall correctly from my travels.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you StormRune.

Donated to the Cayman driver.

What a terrible thing to have to endure.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:29 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 59 Posts

Sick on so many levels. Just donated and sending my sincere best wishes for a full recovery to Peter and "total karma" settling of the balance with the moron responsible for this.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:33 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Driven991
Thank you StormRune.
Donated to the Cayman driver.
What a terrible thing to have to endure.
I'm glad to see a lot of us donating. I understand that a lot of folks would think that insurance will/should step up and cover this and won't donate... and that's certainly fine too. But I donated something and posted this thread with the hopes that it would lead to more. I carry uninsured/under-insured coverage myself, but it is optional here in Texas so it's not clear if Peter had that. If not he may end up with little to recover. An injury lawsuit against someone that has no assets won't be very fruitful and that can take a long time to recover anything.

One of the most disgusting things to me is that YammieNoob also set up a funding page but in his pleas and comments about this he has made absolutely no mention of the injuries he caused to the Porsche driver( that I've seen). Gah!

Quick Reply: Cayman/Motorcycle-Idiot crash in Austin