Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on driving through ex-Soviet Block countries in a 911.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 PM
Jacobello87
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys,

i am from Slovakia, so i can recommend you some good trips around, but first about security, please note Slovakia, Czech, Hungary, Croatia are much more safe countries like Germany for example...people here are much more friendly!

we are much more safe but our roads are in not good shape, repair set for tires is not needed do not worry...but remember, roads are bumpy..

good source for this is Porsche Travel Club - https://drivingexperience.porsche.co...services/tours and Porsche GTS Routes APP for smartphones..

about Slovakia nice roads, at west side of our country are only few.. but you can find very nice roads at middle and east side of our country. You can find fantastic roads for great driving...we have also local drive clubs here

i see that you plan to go thru Italy, please do not forget to visit very nice roads at north side of Italy (Stelvio Pass..........) this is Holy Bible for real drivers
Amazon Amazon

about Romania, they has very nice nature but problem is quality of roads - https://www.etrend.sk/auto/rumunsko-...ersky-raj.html (Author wrote roads are in very very very bad shape...)

you are welcome to visit our country :-) !!!

About Porsche Service, you can find

Slovenia - Ljubljana

Slovakia - Bratislava

Czech - Prague, Brno, Ostrava

Hungary - Budapest

or you can contact me to help you
Old 05-21-2017, 02:16 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Already did in my post.
Yes i saw that, however, IMO, none of those are valid reasons not to go to those countries from my experience.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:32 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Insurance is another thing to remember, while all other countries are part of the EU , Serbia is not ,you should check if the insurance cover is valid there or do you need to get an extended cover of some sort

I intended taking a rental to Serbia and it needed an extended cover as its outside EU... worth checking
Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 80 Posts

Another thought would be to download the Car Connect app and subscribe to security services immediately upon delivery.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:49 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by amet
Insurance is another thing to remember, while all other countries are part of the EU , Serbia is not ,you should check if the insurance cover is valid there or do you need to get an extended cover of some sort
I received the list of countries that the Porsche purchased insurance is valid. It includes all the countries I will be traveling in including Serbia and Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Originally Posted by Norsk
Another thought would be to download the Car Connect app and subscribe to security services immediately upon delivery.
That is a great idea! I will have to educate myself on the app and how to activate it overseas. Should not be a problem.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:12 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

I was worried about entering Serbia with the European Delivery temporary plates "zoll plates". I emailed the Serbian Embassy (consulate in NYC) and they got back to me:

Dear Mr. XXXX,

I am happy to inform you that you will be able to travel to Serbia with your new car equipped with the temporary vehicle plates.
Below you can find response that we received from the Automobile and Motorcycle Association of Serbia (AMSS) regarding your inquire. It is written in Serbian but it confirms that they checked out with the traffic police authorities and that you can enter to Serbia and exit from it with car equipped with the temporary plates and the valid driver license!
My advice for you is to print this e mail and have it with you during your trip for any case.
Hoping that you will have a nice trip I am sending my best regards,

Mirjana Zivkovic
Consul General of Serbia in NYC
Old 05-31-2017, 01:57 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Having lived, worked and visited numerous "Ex-Soviet Block" countries, I can assure you that you are safer going there than visiting the wrong side of Chicago, LA or Miami.

You've clearly traveled and know that street smarts and common sense will go along way. However, Bosnia (and further East) still bares the scars of recent wars with lots of deserted little towns riddled with holes from artillery fire.

Have fun and rest assured that it has less to do with Ex Soviet block countries (which have some of the most welcoming, kind and generous people I have ever met), and more about misconstrued stereotypes.

PS. By definition, one might consider Berlin (East) to be Ex Soviet too..
Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by duxsi

Have fun and rest assured that it has less to do with Ex Soviet block countries (which have some of the most welcoming, kind and generous people I have ever met), and more about misconstrued stereotypes.
Completely agree! I can't wait. I've read most of the security reports and state department warnings and as long as I stay well north of Kosovo (which I am), I will be fine. Warnings state that there are still unexploded mines on rural roads near Kosovo.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:50 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I've read most of the security reports and state department
warnings and as long as I stay well north of Kosovo (which I am),
I will be fine. Warnings state that there are still unexploded
mines on rural roads near Kosovo.
The danger areas are well marked:

But it would be prudent to bring
some mine detection equipment
if it can fit in your new Porsche...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 05-31-2017, 07:18 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
The danger areas are well marked:
But it would be prudent to bring
some mine detection equipment
if it can fit in your new Porsche...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Save your popcorn. I will have a detailed trip report.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Save your popcorn. I will have a
detailed trip report.
I think you will have a lot of fun.
I have done two European Delivery
Porsches & three BMWs. You can't
beat it! We look forward to your
detailed trip report. In anticipation,
I will stock up on these delicious
treats - Boom Chicka Pop!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 05-31-2017, 10:33 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

I received the list of countries that the Porsche purchased insurance is valid. It includes all the countries I will be traveling in including Serbia and Bosnia & Herzegovina.

That is a great idea! I will have to educate myself on the app and how to activate it overseas. Should not be a problem.

I was in Yugoslavia in 1975 and just loved it; especially Dubrovnik. I took my family there two years ago to show them my favorite city. It was even more amazing than I remembered. Croatia has recovered from the war nicely and the people are generally outgoing and helpful. They are usually multilingual, so we had little trouble communicating. The coastal roads are in great shape and they follow the mountain's edge. Dubrovnik is a UNESCO world heritage site; Split has the Diocletian's Palace (Roman ruin that had indoor plumbing!). You are so close... the roads are gorgeous... the local bakeries and BBQ restaurants.. take another day!! You won't regret it in your old age. If you stop for gas in Zagreb... think of me and turn left!

Congrats on your European delivery. I take my hat off to you. Most people don't like the unknown and rarely venture past an all inclusive.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:59 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like a fun trip! I joined a guided tour (Bus) just a month ago and went through most of these countries and they're beautiful!

Munich->Salzburg->Lake Bled->Plitvice Lakes->Budapest->Vienna->Cesky Krumlov->Prague->Karlovy Vary->Dresden->Berlin
Old 10-27-2017, 12:39 PM
ljahearn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW.... I've been off Internet forums for like 6 years... and they have not changed a bit.

It's a good thing I didn't read the advice of those that have never been to this area yet love to post on the internet before two driving trips through eastern Europe, otherwise I would not have gone

Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Croatia - not a single issue or concern. And none of the Russian dash cam liveleak BS seen or experienced either. The biggest threat I experienced was a few speed cams in Croatia

I'm planning a ED for a 911T right now and won't hesitate to hit the fmr Soviet Bloc countries.

Oh and every day unexploded ordnance is found in the fields and forests of the oh-so-civilized Western European countries. It's just not publicized unless its a big bomb in a construction/remodel site.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:45 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ljahearn
WOW.... I've been off Internet forums for like 6 years... and they have not changed a bit.

It's a good thing I didn't read the advice of those that have never been to this area yet love to post on the internet before two driving trips through eastern Europe, otherwise I would not have gone

Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Croatia - not a single issue or concern. And none of the Russian dash cam liveleak BS seen or experienced either. The biggest threat I experienced was a few speed cams in Croatia

I'm planning a ED for a 911T right now and won't hesitate to hit the fmr Soviet Bloc countries.

Oh and every day unexploded ordnance is found in the fields and forests of the oh-so-civilized Western European countries. It's just not publicized unless its a big bomb in a construction/remodel site.
I have obviously finished my trip and I had almost no problems at all. I felt as safe as driving in the US and frankly, they are better drivers over there IMHO. They all stay to the right even in the eastern block countries.

Some observations from my trip:
1. Romanian roads (outside of their new autobahns) are in terrible shape. Worst I have ever seen anywhere. There are literally craters in the road. 100s of them per mile.
2. Nobody spoke English in Bosnia including the border crossing guards. (northern Bosnia)
3. I had multiple challenges during border crossings because I had the "tourist plates" or "export plates". I told them what I was doing and showed them the paperwork and they let me go. Challenges were in Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia.

I was booted in Bosnia. A little scary. It took only 15 minutes to find out who to pay and get the boot off. Nobody spoke English. I went to the police station across the street who directed me to the traffic enforcement a block away. They directed me to a bank next to their office who took my $30 and unbooted my car. Played the charade game the whole time and everyone was laughing including me.

I was parked in what appeared to be in a legal spot next to everyone else. It was a total shakedown. Yeah....a guy driving a brand new Porsche in Bosnia. Go figure.

I would do it again.

Also: European Delivery is cancelled right now. Note that it is removed from the Porsche configurator. They are resolving a legal issue with North American cars and it wont be an easy fix. Just FYI. I'm glad I got my two in when I did.

Last edited by subshooter; 10-28-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice on driving through ex-Soviet Block countries in a 911.