Sponsored by:

Dashcam - Front only or Front and Rear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:25 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by babyjocko
I have the dual Thinkware F770. The rear camera mounted at the top of the rear window is not noticed at all. I mounted the front camera in the right side (inside perspective) nook behind the mirror and just below the black tint along the top of the window. You do not want to mount it in the middle directly under the mirror otherwise it will obstruct your view. Behind the mirror makes it invisible from the driver's perspective and you still have access to the components.

Yes, the rear camera has good purpose, for example rear end collision; theft approached from the rear, etc,

I have this dashcam in both of my cars. It is excellent. The only issue is video gaps on very twisty roads. Apparently, due to significant rapid image variations, the data is too high. I don't know if it is the fault of the codec or the SD card delivered with the dashcam. I just replaced the SD card with a very fast SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-I/U3, but I haven't driven on the twisty since the replacement. I will this weekend and will update the result.

BTW, when I say very twisty, I mean extremely twisty like Dragon's Tail. 99.9% of roads in this country don't come close to this kind of twisty. We who are near the Smokey Mountains are fortunate to have such roads. This is the only reason why I bought a 911.
Hey we're doing a run to Blood Mountain this weekend. Do you want to join? Are you on our Atlanta 911 Facebook Group?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Hey we're doing a run to Blood Mountain this weekend. Do you want to join? Are you on our Atlanta 911 Facebook Group?
Sure, I would love to join. I love that route - US19 to Blairsville then return through Suches. Although, I don't do Facebook.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:31 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have front and rear because you can never be too safe
Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Daohaus
I have front and rear because you can never be too safe
Plus I will finally know what my rear wing is doing in Sport mode!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

By the way, I had the Thinkware F770 installed in my Tesla by CarTunes. CarTunes prices are just way too high. So, I had Benchmark Soundworks in Alpharetta install the same in my 911. They did it for $125.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:44 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the blackvue.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:19 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

By the way, I had the Thinkware F770 installed in my Tesla by CarTunes. CarTunes prices are just way too high. So, I had Benchmark Soundworks in Alpharetta install the same in my 911. They did it for $125.
Thanks for letting me know. I already committed to the Cartunes install this afternoon so I will stick with that. But it is a big price difference on the install.

It's surprising because their price for the radar and jammer install was identical, and on that the work by cartunes was better (e.g. they used more sturdy custom brackets to mount sensors rather than simply tape used by benchmark when they did my Jag and BMW).
Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Did you get the info for the meetup tomorrow?

I got the F770 installed now but I can't get the viewer to work on my iMac. Do you use a mac?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Did you get the info for the meetup tomorrow?

I got the F770 installed now but I can't get the viewer to work on my iMac. Do you use a mac?
Yes, will meet tomorrow in Cumming.

Sorry, I don't do Mac. Actually, the viewer is a decent app.

Did you insert a high speed SD card or are you using the one provided by Thinkware. When we hit the rapid curves, it will test the high speed SD card I recently installed. It had been gapping video bigtime around those curves -- and only around those curves (where the rocks are). I hope the gapping is not due the the codec. We shall see.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Yes, will meet tomorrow in Cumming.

Sorry, I don't do Mac. Actually, the viewer is a decent app.

Did you insert a high speed SD card or are you using the one provided by Thinkware. When we hit the rapid curves, it will test the high speed SD card I recently installed. It had been gapping video bigtime around those curves -- and only around those curves (where the rocks are). I hope the gapping is not due the the codec. We shall see.
I took out the Thinkware one and put in a Samsung Evo Pro Select 64gb which is supposed to be a high speed card (95mbps) with extreme durability.

I didn't get a card over 100mbps because the F770 doesn't support those. Hope this one works out tomorrow. I may bring the thinkware one as a backup.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:28 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the general consensus of where to install a rear facing camera in convertible, assuming you drive with the top down most of the time? which model?

thank you
Old 05-20-2017, 04:27 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

I took out the Thinkware one and put in a Samsung Evo Pro Select 64gb which is supposed to be a high speed card (95mbps) with extreme durability.

I didn't get a card over 100mbps because the F770 doesn't support those. Hope this one works out tomorrow. I may bring the thinkware one as a backup.
And, you are correct, the video gap is substituted by incident recording. I wish I had known that a long time ago. I've adjusted the sensitivity settings to minimum.

The incident recordings have the video, but what it does is overlaps with pre-roll. That's good when it is an actual incident -- not so good when trying to fill in the missing gaps from continuous recording.

BTW, the drive was great today. I will post video soon.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:42 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

And, you are correct, the video gap is substituted by incident recording. I wish I had known that a long time ago. I've adjusted the sensitivity settings to minimum.

The incident recordings have the video, but what it does is overlaps with pre-roll. That's good when it is an actual incident -- not so good when trying to fill in the missing gaps from continuous recording.

BTW, the drive was great today. I will post video soon.
I'm looking forward to your video. I posted some videos on our Facebook page. If you have a member of your household who is on Facebook you may want to use their account to have a look at the page to see the videos and photos from yesterday.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:53 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LCW
What is the general consensus of where to install a rear facing camera in convertible, assuming you drive with the top down most of the time? which model?

thank you
Very few people have done this, but read this post (post#12 on the linked thread).

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9645...l#post13801320

Quick Reply: Dashcam - Front only or Front and Rear?