991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos) - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)

 
Old 07-07-2017, 12:38 AM
  #46  
bkrantz
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
bkrantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 2,430
Default

I have the iCarsoft POR-II, and used it to reset service reminders on my Boxster. I have not had to try it yet on my 991.2.
bkrantz is offline  
Old 08-13-2017, 05:09 PM
  #47  
feh
User
 
feh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest
Posts: 110
Default

Did my first oil change in my '17 991.2 using this guide, thank you. No issues at all, very easy.

As a tip, I manage to lose one of the rubber grommets that hold the air intake duct in place. Found the replacement grommet in pelicanparts.com, in case anyone has a need for it:

Rubber Base., Brand: Genuine PORSCHE, Part #: 997-110-239-00-OEM ... $3.75

Just need to find a way to get a service reset tool. Seems like the Durametric does not support 991.2 as well. Does anyone know if the iCarSoft POR II supports it?
feh is offline  
Old 08-13-2017, 05:21 PM
  #48  
9ELOVIN
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
9ELOVIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 324
Default

Excellent job, pictures and instructions, bkrantz. Thank you!
9ELOVIN is offline  
Old 08-13-2017, 05:37 PM
  #49  
Dude174
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Dude174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 395
Default

I'll be doing this next weekend for my breakin change. On my .1, I refilled with 8.75, got it off the ramps and took measurements after warming the oil up. Usually was good or added a bit to top off. May do the same
Dude174 is offline  
Old 08-13-2017, 06:03 PM
  #50  
feh
User
 
feh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest
Posts: 110
Default

Originally Posted by Dude174 View Post
I'll be doing this next weekend for my breakin change. On my .1, I refilled with 8.75, got it off the ramps and took measurements after warming the oil up. Usually was good or added a bit to top off. May do the same
Exactly as me. I drained the oil for about 30-35 minutes and was able to put 8 quarts in, and after getting the oil warm, reading said I needed 0.75 qts more (reading was at halfway malarkey).
feh is offline  
Old 08-13-2017, 07:51 PM
  #51  
BlazinPond
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
BlazinPond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Minneapolis/Detroit
Posts: 910
Default

Originally Posted by feh View Post
Did my first oil change in my '17 991.2 using this guide, thank you. No issues at all, very easy.

As a tip, I manage to lose one of the rubber grommets that hold the air intake duct in place. Found the replacement grommet in pelicanparts.com, in case anyone has a need for it:

Rubber Base., Brand: Genuine PORSCHE, Part #: 997-110-239-00-OEM ... $3.75

Just need to find a way to get a service reset tool. Seems like the Durametric does not support 991.2 as well. Does anyone know if the iCarSoft POR II supports it?
Can anyone confirm this?

I plan to use my Durametric for my incoming 991.2.
BlazinPond is offline  
Old 08-13-2017, 08:35 PM
  #52  
TorqueChap
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TorqueChap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,560
Default

Great write up. Do the ramps provide you with enough clearance to get under the car and which model do you have?
TorqueChap is offline  
Old 08-14-2017, 12:44 AM
  #53  
bkrantz
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
bkrantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 2,430
Default

Originally Posted by TorqueChap View Post
Great write up. Do the ramps provide you with enough clearance to get under the car and which model do you have?
I used Race Ramps Trax-Jax, with a 3 inch lift, under all 4 wheels--including in front of the rear wheels. These are very easy to roll up and provide enough clearance under the engine.
bkrantz is offline  
Old 08-14-2017, 01:38 AM
  #54  
Valvefloat991
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 696
Default

bkrantz, excellent writeup that definitely helps. I just did my second oil change on my 991.2 at 7000 miles and one year and would suggest a small refinement.

Rather than completely remove the fan connectors from the intake duct--they are very tight--I found it easier to simply separate the connector from the mount. The connector has a flat shoe on the bottom that slides into the mount. All you do is depress one side of the mount and connector slides off. Here's what it looks like:

Name:  IMAG0846.jpg
Views: 2465
Size:  205.3 KB

Also, I was able perform this oil change by simply jacking up the left rear of the car to reach the drain plug. I lowered it to facilitate the oil draining and then jacked it back up to replace the drain plug. No ramps required.
Valvefloat991 is offline  
Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 AM
  #55  
TorqueChap
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TorqueChap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,560
Default

Originally Posted by bkrantz View Post
I used Race Ramps Trax-Jax, with a 3 inch lift, under all 4 wheels--including in front of the rear wheels. These are very easy to roll up and provide enough clearance under the engine.
With or without the optional stops?
TorqueChap is offline  
Old 08-14-2017, 05:52 PM
  #56  
arter
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
arter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 715
Default

Originally Posted by BlazinPond View Post
Can anyone confirm this?

I plan to use my Durametric for my incoming 991.2.

emailed durametric about whether it should work on the 991.2.
They stated they didn't know, maybe it would still work.
Added that they would expect a future update.

So someone has to try it and see.........
arter is offline  
Old 08-15-2017, 12:39 AM
  #57  
bkrantz
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
bkrantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 2,430
Default

Originally Posted by TorqueChap View Post
With or without the optional stops?
I bought one pair with stops and one without. The ramps without stops can slide under very low rocker panels in front of the rear wheels.
bkrantz is offline  
Old 08-19-2017, 03:08 AM
  #58  
Ski Porsche
User
 
Ski Porsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mountain Green, UT
Posts: 641
Default

bkrantz--Thanks for the write up. I changed the oil on my C4S for the first time this morning. I did it a couple times on my last car and though the procedure was really the same it was great to have your very clear instructions to remind me.
I ended up putting nearly nine quarts to bring it one bar below the top. I had an interruption and the oil drained for over an hour.
Thanks again.
Ski Porsche is offline  
Old 08-19-2017, 10:57 AM
  #59  
kuma1416
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Mid-Midwest
Posts: 148
Default

Originally Posted by bkrantz View Post
I used Race Ramps Trax-Jax, with a 3 inch lift, under all 4 wheels--including in front of the rear wheels. These are very easy to roll up and provide enough clearance under the engine.
Not to belabor this point, but do you think there'd be enough room to get under there if I just ramped up the rear wheels with the Race Ramps Trax-Jax? I was going to get their 8" ramp but there is a big difference in price (220$ for 8"vs 95$ for TraxJax). Since I have short arms I'd probably have to squeeze my head partly underneath there.
kuma1416 is online now  
Old 08-19-2017, 12:33 PM
  #60  
Valvefloat991
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 696
Default

Originally Posted by kuma1416 View Post
Not to belabor this point, but do you think there'd be enough room to get under there if I just ramped up the rear wheels with the Race Ramps Trax-Jax? I was going to get their 8" ramp but there is a big difference in price (220$ for 8"vs 95$ for TraxJax). Since I have short arms I'd probably have to squeeze my head partly underneath there.
I was able to do it without any ramps. I simply jacked up the left rear corner of the car to reach the drain plug. Then I lowered the car to let the oil drain and raised it again to replace the drain plug.
Valvefloat991 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: