Finally got my 14 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:09 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally got my 14 C4S

Here's my story.... yeah, it is long ha ha

Finally picked up my first Porsche. After driving M cars for almost 15 years, I was itching to make a change. I was looking at Maserati GT’s which has been an aspiration car for some time as I love Italian motors and exhaust sounds. However after thinking it through I really wanted something more track focused as I think I’d get bored of the GTS. Had a budget of $65k in mind. Headed to the local Porsche dealer to check out 911’s. I’m a 1 car guy, so whatever I pick will be a DD. 2 grade school kids, work from home part time, drive about 5k miles a year, southern weather / roads, and take immaculate care of my cars so in my situation I can DD a car like this.

They didn’t have anything used on the lot in 991 so drove a 991.2 base PDK. What I loved is the focus of a 911 – sitting low, excellent steering, etc. Power was fine in the base. However the sound was lacking a bit, and the platform just felt like it had so much more potential.

Next drove a 2012 local manual. Power is fine, but learned I didn’t want a manual for a DD. While my previous car was a 15 M3 manual, the BMW manual is so much easier to drive daily where the 911 was pretty darn sporty including the foot room. Not something I wanted to do with a suit on, etc.

Next drove a 15 base 15k miles PDK – I liked the base, but this car was not well maintained. Plus the 4x4 look of the base was really starting to bug me. BMW M cars sit nice and tight, no need to lower. Why not Porsche? I don’t want to deal with lowering so seeked out a C2S.

Drove a 14 CS2 PDK SC PSE – hit the spot. The normal mode was perfect for DD – more compliant than my M3 but could rip it up on the backroads. Just loved to rev. Reminded me of my E92 M3 DCT – so much fun. I was sold. Decided to bump my budget to $75k to pick up a 13 C2S.

Searching is a major PIA. I wanted black C2S under 15k miles, PSE SC PDK Carrera S wheels, willing to travel up to 1000 miles. Spent hours a day searching. Finally came across the PERFECT car but it was $83k. 14 C2S black / black 15k miles PSE sunroof red seatbelts loaded up except chrono. Slept on it. Called the dealer in the morning negotiated to $81k and decided to do it. Gave my credit cars info to hold the car. CPO as well. Got an email from the dealer that they sold it to a local buyer. BS. I was heartbroken – it was EXACTLY what I wanted. Even lined up a road trip with the family to pick it up. In the meantime my M3 was about to be sold so I had to move on something. There where 2 other cars I was considering 13 C4S black / black PDK loaded up w Classics $81k or 14 C4S rhodium / black PDK PSE Chrono for $84k. The dealer put a tune on the 13 plus put a nail in the tire, so I decided to pass. I called on the 14 C4S and offered $81k firm. They waffled a bit, but settled on $81,400. I gave them a deposit immediately and confirmed they will NOT sell the car until I come pick it up after my other experience. The car was in Naples so I was going to book a flight. Now the C4S had no sunroof and no ventilated seats which I REALLY wanted. But with 13k miles, mint condition and my M3 gone, I figured it was a nice deal and a heck of a first Porsche. Options list: PASM sport, PSE, PDK, park assist, Chrono, p steering plus, design wheel, 18 ways, leather seats, front spoiler painted, dials in white, clock in white, adaptive sport seats, Bose, Rhodium, PDLS, Sport Techno wheels, crest on headrests, no sunroof. I’m a sunroof guy, but again with no car in the garage and NO other 911’s that were even close to my needs pulled the trigger. I also felt that $81k for a 14 4S 13k miles nicely equipped was a decent value vs. other cars I was looking at. However I don’t like the ST’s and knew I had to get a set of Carrera S wheels in black, and wasn’t sure how they would look with rhodium so that’s an extra expense.

I have bought a 7 used cars out of state then drove home over the years. However the dealer was only giving me a couple days to hold the car, plus a busy work scheduled, and a $800 expense to fly / drive home my sales guy (who was SUPER cool) suggested shipping it for $450. So I went that route. So, yeah, I’m buying a $81k car sight unseen. Signed the papers, sent the check. Car showed up 2 days later in the pouring rain.

Initial Impression: Holy crap, it was in outstanding condition – and I’m SUPER picky. Thank GOD this car was super clean. Not a single scratch interior or exterior. I was honestly not nervous b/c I had a good feeling of my sales guy. He did sent me a ton of pics, the pre-inspection, and the car still has 1.3 mos of warranty. Took a chance and it worked out!

Initial driving impressions: Wow what a beast. This is really a driver focused car. I have access to some of the most amazing driving roads here in Nashville. When I would take the M cars out, I can push the car decently and have some fun. When I push my 911 I’m not even close to the limits. This car has so much potential. I love being back into a N/A motor again, revving up / PDK blips – PSE on - bliss.

So the car is beautiful, super clean, great price, but I noticed the ride was a bit bouncy. I remembered the base test drive and S test drives – the ride was sedan like – smooth and super compliant but sporty. Maybe I was just excited? Laying in bed it hit me – I better check the sticker again. And yup, my fear was true that I had SPASM. I never realized it since it says “PASM Sport Suspension”, never realized that meant SPASM as I’m so used to looking for the acronym from rennlist. It’s a bit much for a DD for me, it feels lowered. Then throw in no sunroof – this car is super tight. Its not unbearable but it would be nice to be able to have it “chill” at times. I keep looking down to make sure the suspension button isn’t in sport mode. I wish there was a “comfort” mode like my previous M cars ☹ Even if its "floaty" a bit its ok for me, there's a time and place for it.
So after some searching, I did order a DSC V2 to hopefully soften up the suspension. On the back roads my car is PERFECT but for normal it’s a bit much.
I did research the cost to add a glass sunroof… that lasted about 5 minutes lol. I would cough up maybe $2k to add it, but its waaay more expensive than that.

Mods – picked up a set of satin black Carrera S wheels – looks soooo much better. I really like the aggressive look. Need to get the exhaust tips painted black. Put on clear markers. Adding DSC V2. That’s it for now, I’ll maybe look at an x-pipe down the road.

So as this is my first 911, owning the car for a couple weeks:
• PASM is kida harsh for DD – make sure you drive PASM vs. SPASM. However it looks fantasic with the lower suspension!
• Paddle shifters are a must. I don’t get the buttons on the other wheel.
• I love PSE. While the “burbles” sound contrived and a bit cheesy, the character does change with normal / sport / sport plus. I drive around town in normal w PSE and it sounds good. I actually REALLY like the car with no PSE on as well. So I have 4 different exhaust modes depending on my mood 😊 nice
• PDK – the auto mode is amazing, the car is pretty chill when needed. In my SMG / DCT M cars I shifted 99% of the time w paddles. In the 911 manual 50% of the time.
• I think my 911 is a “performance build”. Like the original owner spec’d the car out for track days.
• I miss not having a sunroof. But I need to get over it 😊

Well, if you read this far you’re probably on your 2nd beer lol. Thanks for reading, I’ve already posted a ton of questions on the board.

I’m really looking forward to learning about 911’s. Learning this car, joining PCA, doing some weekend drives. Even though its only been a couple of weeks, I think I’m a 911 lifer. Amazing machines, very rewarding.
Here’s a few pics. MSRP was $132k.
Attached Images       
Old 05-05-2017, 06:30 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome and congrats! Mods of any type are a slippery slope - hold on to your checkbook!
Old 05-05-2017, 06:46 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Very nice. Surprised you didn't stay with the painted Sport Techno wheels. Those looked great, too. A very desirable wheel, here, should be easy to sell.

Did you play with tires pressures to improve the car's daily drivability and comfort?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:53 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
Very nice. Surprised you didn't stay with the painted Sport Techno wheels. Those looked great, too. A very desirable wheel, here, should be easy to sell.

Did you play with tires pressures to improve the car's daily drivability and comfort?
Good tip, and yes I did. The car came with "max" setting, dealer adjusted to comfort pressure for me. I did help a bit on the tight ride.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Great write up and proper intro post. Show them how it's done!!

Goes to show as we many times see, the journey of the search can have its high and low moments. Much like a soap opera. Usually ends with a nice score!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:10 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Regarding the Sport Technos, you can probably sell them quick on here.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Great story....Great looking car. Enjoy!!!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:48 AM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice find. No more sleepless nights trolling auto trader.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:07 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

A beauty! Love Rhodium. Love 18 way adap sport seats. Love painted Sport Technos too but oh well. Head over to the Dragon (on a week day) and enjoy. Welcome to the 911.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Painted front spoiler lip, too, don't see that often.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:17 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice score! Love the look with the new wheels...
Old 05-05-2017, 10:22 AM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just saw the "Audi Naples" license frame. I drove down there about a month and a half ago to look at it. I was seriously considering it. The only thing that put my off was no sunroof. Looking back, I should have bought it. The car I bought is missing a few options I would like to have but what can you do. Such is life when buying a used car.

You bought a great car. It was flawless.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Great story...reminds me of mine, except I drove mine home!

Enjoy...they are great cars, and I'm sure the DSC module will help a ton!
Old 05-05-2017, 11:36 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I saw your post on bimmerpost, congrats I myself am moving on from the BMW world too. I am waiting for my 991.2 C2S in silver to arrive in July.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:36 AM
johnmhudson111
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking car, you should bring it to the Concur in the Park that the local PCA region is holding on the 20th at Percy Warner park, my son and I am driving up from Memphis for it. You will like the Musik Stadt folks, my family has been involved since the region was founded.

I am waiting on my DSC as well I am hoping it will come before the drive up to Nashville, would like to see what kind of difference it will make on a road trip.

Quick Reply: Finally got my 14 C4S