Sponsored by:

Owning a 911 isn't about MPG...but

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good time to ask this question, since it's been in my mind the past few road trips.

Does anyone with 7MT think the "auto stop/start" function effects MPGs? I think with auto stop/start engaged (turned on) we get a slight bump/increase in MPGs on the highway. Strange, but true. Why? I understand the effect in city driving with stop & go traffic, but why on the highway? I also understand the effect on a PDK car, but I'm talking a manual trans, here. Thoughts? Maybe I need to re-read the Manual, because a vaguely remember something.
I don't think it has any effect on the highway. The purpose of the system is to eliminate the fuel usage while idling when stationary, such as waiting at a light. On the highway, the fuel injectors do shut off when you are coasting, but all cars do that these days and it has nothing to do with the auto stop/start.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:21 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
On the highway, the fuel injectors do shut off when you are coasting, but all cars do that these days and it has nothing to do with the auto stop/start.
Actually I think it does. I think you are onto something. This is what I vaguely remember. I need to read my Owner's Manual again.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:48 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Good time to ask this question, since it's been in my mind the past few road trips.

Does anyone with 7MT think the "auto stop/start" function effects MPGs? I think with auto stop/start engaged (turned on) we get a slight bump/increase in MPGs on the highway. Strange, but true. Why? I understand the effect in city driving with stop & go traffic, but why on the highway? I also understand the effect on a PDK car, but I'm talking a manual trans, here. Thoughts? Maybe I need to re-read the Manual, because a vaguely remember something.
I really dislike the auto start-stop feature and disengage it routinely. It may be irrational, but I can't help but think that the small gain in gas savings is not worth the wear and tear to the ignition system downstream and I find the sound grating. Although I wish that it defaulted to OFF, I'm not in an uproar like others on this board.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:50 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I really dislike the auto start-stop feature and disengage it routinely. It may be irrational, but I can't help but think that the small gain in gas savings is not worth the wear and tear to the ignition system downstream and I find the sound grating. Although I wish that it defaulted to OFF, I'm not in an uproar like others on this board.
But once you turn it off on the 991.1 it stays off. Not true on the 991.2. You must have the .2??
Old 05-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm glad to see that I'm not in the minority when it comes to getting decent gas mileage in a car that for all intent and purpose is a sports car.

Who says you can't have it all
Old 05-02-2017, 01:07 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

But once you turn it off on the 991.1 it stays off. Not true on the 991.2. You must have the .2??
Yes. 991.2 C4. Awesome vehicle. (Not meant in any way to slight anyone else's choice)
Old 05-02-2017, 11:50 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
This is my second car with an *** system. I usually shut the system off after the car shuts down for the first time. Not what I would call a hardship (is it a hardship to turn on your the heat on your steering wheel?) but I hate the system. Not convinced the shut down and restart isn't doing more harm than good. I slog through 7 miles of mostly city traffic and over 30 lights on my way to the train station. So no way I am going to let the system do its thing. Totally uninterested in saving fuel if there is any chance of increased engine or component wear.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Same for me, but it is annoying (both the Big Brother reminder and the fact that I usually forget to switch it off until I get to the first stop after leaving home).

Quick Reply: Owning a 911 isn't about MPG...but