Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPASM: Does Sport Button Impact Suspension?

Old 04-30-2017, 10:20 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Interesting. Is this because the DSC "takes over" with its mapped sequence in sports plus? Also, what happens when you press the sport suspension? Does the Porsche program take over or does it somehow work in conjunction with DSC?
There are two settings:
1- Normal -Which is not quite the stock Porsche setup. There may be many changes, but the one I can feel in normal is that with my suspension (SPASM) the front end is softer, which is quite welcome for the street.
2- Sport - This is very different from the Porsche set up. Besides reacting to changes in the suspension much quicker than stock, it is completely programmable for the particular situation you want. For example, a particular track config.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
There are two settings:
1- Normal -Which is not quite the stock Porsche setup. There may be many changes, but the one I can feel in normal is that with my suspension (SPASM) the front end is softer, which is quite welcome for the street.
2- Sport - This is very different from the Porsche set up. Besides reacting to changes in the suspension much quicker than stock, it is completely programmable for the particular situation you want. For example, a particular track config.
So in Sport Plus, DSC does nothing and Porsche software takes over?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

No, in SP+, it remains in DSC normal configuration which is not the same as the OEM configuration. There is no stock Porsche configuration retained except in any values retained by the DSC via their programming. Remember, the controller has been replaced. There is no way for the end user (unless you are a sophisticated computer person) to compare the original configuration of Porsche in the normal or Sport Plus mode with the new DSC controller in normal or sport mode.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:55 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

OP, as far as to the difference you feel, I think that CSK 911 C4S likely nailed it way back in the third post. Coupling the engine more firmly to the chassis does make a difference in how the car rides and does make the ride feel notably different.

It is kind of like the unsprung-weight effect in suspensions, wheels, and tires. In non-sport modes, the engine is softly coupled and the car body can move more freely to respond to bumps since the engine doesn't have to move with it quite as quickly. Less mass to move means a quicker rebound of the chassis. In sport modes when the dynamic engine mounts are more strongly coupled, bumps/dips effect the coupled body and engine more directly as a single mass at the same moment. You can certainly feel the difference.

Actually, this is the purpose of the dynamic mounts... they allow a more compliant and less noisy ride when not driving hard but stiffen to provide a more predictably rigid mass when driving hard (there is no longer a bit of engine "slosh"effect as you turn quickly). If you look at the 997 forums, many of us there have tried solid or semi-solid engine mounts to get the benefits of better handling and a firmer ride. You feel the change right away, but it comes at the cost of the casual ride and noise transmission into the cockpit. The dynamic mounts solve this by changing as needed.

When experimenting with this, the place I can feel the difference most obviously around Austin in on the elevated part of the 183 freeway. It has dips at each bridge panel seam. You can feel a big difference in chassis response to the dips as you change between normal and sport plus settings.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Storm, I think you are correct. When I press sport something does tighten up a bit. The good news is the sport exhaust still works without pressing the sport/sport plus buttons so I get a nice sound from the exhaust

The guy at DSC described the suspension modes as being "static" where their module is dynamic. I'm looking forward to getting that device to see if it does provide a larger suspension range in normal mode.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:59 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
My car has SPASM. Suspension is a big rough for me in "normal" mode. I have found "comfort" settings via the forum that helped to take the edge off via reduced tire pressure.

My question is: if I hit the sport or sport plus buttons I'm clear that it changes the throttle mapping and trans mapping with PDK. However I've read it will tighten up the suspension a bit. While I have been riding around in sport and sport plus most of the time w suspension in "normal", I took a quick spin in non -sport / sport plus to see if it does make any impact to the suspension. I think I feel a slight difference or am I just imagining it? It was just a ride around the block.

I'll continue searching.... if anybody knows it would be helpful. Thanks!
If you haven't done so, you might also consider your tires.

With OEM P0s, the older they are the harder they ride. Switching to new Michelin PSS makes an instant improvement.

Also running the "comfort" pressure settings (~low and mid 30s cold) rather than the "performance" settings ~high 30-low 40s cold) which are both described in the owners manual and not on the door, is well known to make a huge difference in ride quality. If you are not running at top speed with four passengers there is no need to run the higher pressures. Dealers always set them to the max as a liability precaution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SPASM: Does Sport Button Impact Suspension?