Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife's 1st drive ever in 911S alone!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:07 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Wife's 1st drive ever in 911S alone!

I did not have kids so I never experienced my teenager's first drive on their own, but now I have an idea of the associated anxiety. Watching my wife back out of the garage I felt helpless. Hopefully she will stay away from curbs, speed bumps and steep driveway inclines and return both herself and the car safely, and have a good time in the process.

How many of the guys here let their girlfriend or wife drive their Porsche? Do they look forward to it or is it just another car?

I will report mishaps, if any, when she returns later tonight.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife is a car girl so she knows all the pitfalls of driving a lowered car. She cuts steep driveway inclines like the best of them so I dont sweat it
Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts

I, when I was much younger, came home unannounced with a new 86 BMW 535i Manual, at the time, the fastest four door car available in America. The salesman did a thorough introduction including how to set the speed alarm; he set it to 120 MPH so it wouldn't bother me. My wife took her friend for a drive in the car the next day, and came back gushing. She loved it! Much nicer than her 320i which she really liked. Her only complaint was the electronic beeping that started when they were on the highway. I asked her how fast she was driving, she sheepishly said, uhh, maybe 80, was that OK? Damn she was cute when she was trying to get away with something.

I loved that my company made guys at my level drive four-door cars; that 535i was the best of it's time.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

If my wife's a passenger and I'm driving a little faster than she would like she quietly says, "You're freaking me out a little!" We're typically coming up the canyon at a good pace but not pushing it. When she drives it she comes home gushing about how much she loves the Porsche. How responsive and fast it is. When I ask her how fast up the the canyon, she'll say something like, "I don't know, maybe 80 or 90." That's faster than I'm going when I'm, "freaking" her out.
She has a lead foot when alone. A few years ago she was pulled over coming up our hill in her E-class. The sheriff clocked her at 73 in a 55 zone. She has a radar detector in her car now.
I never worry when she takes the P-car.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
If my wife's a passenger and I'm driving a little faster than she would like she quietly says, "You're freaking me out a little!" We're typically coming up the canyon at a good pace but not pushing it. When she drives it she comes home gushing about how much she loves the Porsche. How responsive and fast it is. When I ask her how fast up the the canyon, she'll say something like, "I don't know, maybe 80 or 90." That's faster than I'm going when I'm, "freaking" her out.
She has a lead foot when alone. A few years ago she was pulled over coming up our hill in her E-class. The sheriff clocked her at 73 in a 55 zone. She has a radar detector in her car now.
I never worry when she takes the P-car.
Ski Porsche, is this your car in the video? Can't be too many Miami Blue 911's in Utah
Old 04-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Christian Reyes
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My wife wanted the "option" to drive setup we got a PDK, luckily for me she hasn't yet exercised that option, being a CAB in sure that will change in three near future.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:25 PM
bossboy302
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What...me worry?

Wife is such a good and careful driver, she got her own 2014 911 for Christmas.
Just another car. This time it's hers.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:40 PM
roberttran1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has only had her license for a about year and the 991 is now her car to drive (I get the GT4). She was a bit scared because she scratched the front bumper from a parking mistake, but has gotten the hang of it since.
We had a loaner Cayenne a few months ago and she complained about how soft the pedals were and non-responsive the car felt. She now feels like any other car will feel and handle like crap :-D
Old 04-27-2017, 08:41 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

My wife has never driven my 911, but she drives my Lexus all the time. May the force be with you, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:21 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

My wife thought the Porsche was a rediculous purchase, being a waste of money and a "look at me look at me car". She says she'd prefer not to ride in it (but will) and says she'll never drive it. Luckily, for me, she appreciates I'll enjoy the car so, in the end relented. I doubt I'll have anxiety about her driving it, but I suspect in the end she'll break down and drive it when I need to use her mini van.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:28 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I got the PDK so my wife could drive the car. After almost a year she has shown no interest. 30 years ago we lived in Rio and drove a manual FIAT 147 in that crazy traffic. No big deal. But that was long ago and we are older, so now she likes her Lexus RX450 hybrid. She really loves the 911 though and thinks it is very very cool.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

My wife can't drive a manual so I don't worry about these things.....lol
Old 04-27-2017, 10:02 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I hope to get my wife to take my 991S out for autocross this summer...
Old 04-27-2017, 10:16 PM
JawJuh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
I loved that my company made guys at my level drive four-door cars; that 535i was the best of it's time.
Whaaa your company required senior management to drive 4 door cars? What industry was that?

It was totally opposite for me: when I was a greenhorn we all drove beat up sedans, senior managers showed up in Corvettes and Vipers, and VP or above were pretty much all Porsche.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:30 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
My wife thought the Porsche was a rediculous purchase, being a waste of money and a "look at me look at me car". She says she'd prefer not to ride in it (but will) and says she'll never drive it. Luckily, for me, she appreciates I'll enjoy the car so, in the end relented. I doubt I'll have anxiety about her driving it, but I suspect in the end she'll break down and drive it when I need to use her mini van.
I think we are married to the same woman. She was against it for a long time, but I knew she would relent when I found a car I liked. She doesn't drive a manual, so she was extra cool when I told her that was what I wanted. I've got the car a month now, and I see her warming to it. She says it makes testosterone noises when it accelerates. By the way, she drives our Cayenne.

Quick Reply: Wife's 1st drive ever in 911S alone!