Sponsored by:

I'm too old and fat for this...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
Can anyone comment with respect to pedal feel with the low dust pads? On my older 911, the low dust pads made the brake pedal feel mushy.
I don't notice a difference in pedal feel with my Centrics. That said, all new pads require higher pedal EFFORT until they bed in. I don't notice any lack of initial bite or pedal effort after three years with the Centric pads, and I drive aggressively when the conditions allow. I wouldn't track with these pads, but I wouldn't with the stock Porsche pads (Jurid/Textar) either.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
That's not true... I'd like to hear more of the pipes!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:08 PM
Cayman7
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I think I pay under $9 at Walmart. The old product, called Armor All Wheel Protectant, was about $7/can, but the cans were half the size of the Outlast.
Another vote for this product. As said, it works great if applied liberally and as directed. Best if you can let it set on the wheel as long as possible before driving. i usually apply late in the day and let it set overnight.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:30 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the classics and don't notice the dirt at all... maybe I don't look enough, and I am not going to start doing it!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:42 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
ya but my neighbors already hate me......
LOL
Old 04-26-2017, 11:55 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
Use Armor All wheel protectant after each wash. It really works.
Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
i've done that and it works as advertised on the tin but i've found that it only last a few washes

i will be trying the posi-quite pads

thanks!
Agreed. It works for a short period and then is gone.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:39 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I switched to posi quiets in January .... very, very happy !!!!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:02 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

For those who installed the posi's, what was the bed in process. I read somewhere that you did not have to bed them - just put them in and drive normally.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:34 AM
K9PJ/4
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A new 991S with 20" Spyder Design Wheels provided a cleaning challenge fro me. A chat with a Concours prep enthusiast provided a tool that will reach 12" through the spokes to the hard to get areas. Autocraft Microfiber wheel cleaner is available at Advance Auto Parts for about eight USD. It works!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Perhaps a stupid question....but are the Centric Posi Quiet pads you guys are using ceramic or semi-metallic. When I Googled them, up popped Centric Posi Quiet ceramic pads on the Tire Rack site....but when I input my vehicle info, what is recommended is the semi-metallic. Just curious which ones you folks are having success with.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
For those who installed the posi's, what was the bed in process. I read somewhere that you did not have to bed them - just put them in and drive normally.
This is correct. They are pre-scorched. All you need to do is a few hard stops to match the physical surface of the fresh pad to the worn rotor surface but you don't need to do some crazy bed in procedure.

From their website:
"Posi Quiet brake pads are scorched to accelerate the break-in process. This OEM process enhances key friction performance levels. Scorching raises initial cold effectiveness, stabilizes friction levels right out of the box, provides consistent performance across the entire operating range.

During the scorching phase; each brake pad surface is super-heated to simulate the initial break-in process performed by installation technicians. This additional step removes any uncured bonding agents eliminating the need for initial break-in and reducing noise caused by pad glazing. Scorching thermally conditions the pad material which yields a more consistent and higher friction level right out of the box.

Scorching benefits the vehicle owner by promoting a more complete bed-in of new pads, increasing the effective stopping power from the first stop."

I swapped mine at ~1200 miles and also did ceramic pro wheel and caliper treatment. Love how little dust there is. I'm not tracking the car so extreme braking performance is not necessary. I do NOT suggest ever using these pads on the track, they will overheat. It also stopped the brake squeal I was getting from the factory pads.

Also I noticed a few people saying Centric "Ceramic pads," but the fitment for the 991 from Centric are the Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Brake Pads. These have better bite and stopping power, at the cost of slightly more dust than the ceramic but still 90% less than factory, than the Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads version. I have used the Ceramic version of their pad on past vehicles and they do change the bite and feel. It's worse but after time your foot/brain adapts. I have not noticed any bite or stopping power difference with the Centric semi metallic pads vs the factory pads on the street.

You can see the differences here:
http://www.centricparts.com/products/posiquiet

Last edited by Jenner; 04-27-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Perhaps a stupid question....but are the Centric Posi Quiet pads you guys are using ceramic or semi-metallic. When I Googled them, up popped Centric Posi Quiet ceramic pads on the Tire Rack site....but when I input my vehicle info, what is recommended is the semi-metallic. Just curious which ones you folks are having success with.
Nice timing! See my post above. You want the semi-metallic!

And hey there fellow 991 Targa in CT....hope to see you on the roads sometime!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:58 AM
0-Steve
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having them installed next week!
Old 04-27-2017, 10:06 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 533 Posts

does the armor all outlast also prevent the pitting that can happen from the dust
because to me even if you tolerate the dust, like some people are suggesting, the pitting and damage to wheels is what bother me the most
Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
This is correct. They are pre-scorched. All you need to do is a few hard stops to match the physical surface of the fresh pad to the worn rotor surface but you don't need to do some crazy bed in procedure.

From their website:
"Posi Quiet brake pads are scorched to accelerate the break-in process. This OEM process enhances key friction performance levels. Scorching raises initial cold effectiveness, stabilizes friction levels right out of the box, provides consistent performance across the entire operating range.

During the scorching phase; each brake pad surface is super-heated to simulate the initial break-in process performed by installation technicians. This additional step removes any uncured bonding agents eliminating the need for initial break-in and reducing noise caused by pad glazing. Scorching thermally conditions the pad material which yields a more consistent and higher friction level right out of the box.

Scorching benefits the vehicle owner by promoting a more complete bed-in of new pads, increasing the effective stopping power from the first stop."

I swapped mine at ~1200 miles and also did ceramic pro wheel and caliper treatment. Love how little dust there is. I'm not tracking the car so extreme braking performance is not necessary. I do NOT suggest ever using these pads on the track, they will overheat. It also stopped the brake squeal I
was getting from the factory pads.

Also I noticed a few people saying Centric "Ceramic pads," but the fitment for the 991 from Centric are the Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Brake Pads. These have better bite and stopping power (and a tiny bit more dust) than the Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads version. I have used the Ceramics on past vehicles and they do change the bite and feel. I have not noticed any bite or stopping power difference with these semi metallic pads vs the factory pads on the street.

You can see the differences here:
http://www.centricparts.com/products/posiquiet

Thanks Jenner!

Quick Reply: I'm too old and fat for this...