Sponsored by:

Rear head restraints

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:51 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 683 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by docswede

This picture is from a VW van in which the guy installed these headrests in the rear but obviously in our 911's, it should be done much nicer with smaller headrests that goes well with the interior.
I think you have to install a booster with a head rest integrated. Everyone is a bit different, but for me, if it doesn't have a government approval, I don't consider it safe for my kids.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. The issue here as many pointed out is the whiplash problem if you're rear ended. I have a coupe so I don't have the roll over thing anyway.
Jenner, thanks for the link, I'll try that and see how it works but the problem will come back as they grow taller.
Going back to my question, has anyone thought about a board of some sort with a cushion or a head rest from another car that could be installed behind the rear seat? I would think it should be possible.
Wonder if something like these could be installed LOL...

Old 04-25-2017, 02:14 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Going back to my question, has anyone thought about a board of some sort with a cushion or a head rest from another car that could be installed behind the rear seat? I would think it should be possible.
Amazon Amazon

The Recaro Performance Booster does what you want. The key is the height adjustable headrest (11 settings) allows for a child from 30-120 pounds and 37-61 inches to use this seat.

120lbs and 5'1" is pretty big! I don't even know how comfortable the back seat is for someone that size in the first place. Time to use the front seat at that size.

Problem is I am 99% sure it won't fit perfectly in the 991 rear bucket seat. I believe the base is too wide. You might need to put towels or foam under it to level it, which may cause you to run out of headroom. Or remove the rear seat cushion (and/or rear seat back) as well which would free up a little more room for the child and booster as well. I own one already and will try to fit it to see. My rear seat is a little smaller than yours though since I have a Targa which is based on the Cab.

Looks better than tacking on some headrest and screwing into the rear seat back. Plus it's easier remove than any kind of DIY headrest. But if you want to modify the rear seat back each spare one will cost $150-$350 on ebay or $800+ for new online. I just cringe at the thought of screwing on a headrest from another car even if you got spare seat backs. You have no way to test if it will hold up in an accident...

Last edited by Jenner; 04-25-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:22 PM
docswede
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jenner, please provide picture of the recaro whenever you can. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

This works well for our 4 and 2 year olds!
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2017, 08:27 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jenner, please provide picture of the recaro whenever you can. Thanks!
I just tried it. It doesn't fit in my Targa. I forgot the 991 rear seat bottom is one single piece. My 997 Turbo Cab had individual seat bottoms.

If I could remove the seat bottom it *might* fit, but between the height of the seat bottom and my Targa bar its a no go. I think you have more headroom in that location in the coupe so this would be a non issue for you. I also realized you said you have twins, so maybe for you removing the entire single piece seat bottom is a non issue since you would put two of these seats in place of it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe a local store that sells these will let you test fit, or order one from Amazon to test fit. Amazon is super easy to deal with for returns.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:38 PM
docswede
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Jenner! Appreciate it!! I will try to do it without booster and order the thing from amazing for belt positioning. See how it goes.

Quick Reply: Rear head restraints