Originally Posted by R_Rated
Maybe a difference in .1 and .2?
991.1 manual:

Old 04-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumb question from a 991.1 owner.

why do some 991.2 have left and right exhaust tips and some are in the center (dual)?
Old 04-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Daohaus

why do some 991.2 have left and right exhaust tips and some are in the center (dual)?
Center is PSE, outer is no PSE
Old 04-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Center is PSE, outer is no PSE
thank you, it's confounded me for a while.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:52 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

If Porsche wants you to avoid lugging the engine, stay the hell out of Normal Mode (w/PDK). It keeps the rpm's so low it's ridiculous

I put my first 2,000 miles on all in Sport Mode, now moving into Hooligan Mode...
Old 04-25-2017, 05:00 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Daohaus

Center is to attract Corvette owners.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats OP, 991.2 is a beast even in base form, plenty of power.

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Does she have a sister? But seriously, nice ride, enjoy in good health and welcome to the club. There is no substitute.
lol, Even is she did, they are probably polar opposites, my wife has 3 sisters, not one are alike.

Originally Posted by Speed2000
I think its the term dealers use when the only miles put on it was the tech doing PDI road test then straight to new owner instead of one on the lot available for test drives. Lowest number I have seen is ten.
I picked my Mercedes at the factory (Sindelfingen, Germany), they say all cars goes to a roller, they test them before they leave the assembly line, mine had 7 miles, just be grateful, you don't have 50 plus miles, as Mercedes randomly select cars to take to their onsite track.

Originally Posted by Jenner
As noted above the manual says 2000 miles but either way this is just in there for the USA and because lawyers. Porsche wants you (the driver) to warm up to the performance level of their vehicle since their cars are much more capable than the average joe.

When I took delivery of my 991.2 @ PEC I was given a similar car to drive (beat) on the track. It had 100 miles on the odometer. When I asked about this, this said that's all it needs then it's ready to go. Go easy for the first few hundred or so, building up to higher and higher RPMs, but don't wait 2000 miles to enjoy it. It's ready to go from the factory.
I was told at the Mercedes Factory that the break in is for Americans only. Like I said, Mercedes randomly select brand new cars and take it to the track, they drive it hard, not putting around the track. I asked if we should follow the break in period, the delivery person said, "if you want to."
Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

When I took delivery of my 911.2 the top speed listed that the car had been driven was 137mph! Wonder if it was a service guy doing final testing before I got the car. Or maybe one of the sales guys just making sure everything was OK
Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
I was told at the Mercedes Factory that the break in is for Americans only. Like I said, Mercedes randomly select brand new cars and take it to the track, they drive it hard, not putting around the track. I asked if we should follow the break in period, the delivery person said, "if you want to."

Not to get into the endless break in discussion but I was told the same thing in 2014 at the Porsche factory when I picked up my first Porsche. Many of us on the planet-9 forum posted pictures of our break-in procedures from our manuals. 6 different countries.....they were all different. lol. US was the most restrictive.....purely because of the litigious nature of our society IMO. Manuals are written by lawyers, not engineers - that's why our manuals are huge and have 10 trillion warnings like "don't leave your ipod in the car because the heat might damage it". Physics doesn't change when you cross a country boundary. I don't blame them. I blame people like Paul Walker's daughter.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:08 PM
dmtsc
Instructor

Originally Posted by dflowerz
When I took delivery of my 911.2 the top speed listed that the car had been driven was 137mph! Wonder if it was a service guy doing final testing before I got the car. Or maybe one of the sales guys just making sure everything was OK
I'm going to pick my car up next week, how do you check that?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

The Porsche delivery guy in Stuttgart laughed at me when I asked him about the break in period. "For Americans only" he told me. My break in period was the few miles between the factory and the nearest unrestricted section of Autobahn. No way I was going to miss the opportunity to drive my 991.2 like it was meant to be driven.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:16 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Thanks all for the information on break in. I suppose the smart thing to do is to enjoy it, but just take it easy for the next few months. Not lugging the engine and driving it easy until warmed up is a life long habit no matter how many miles on the engine.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 PM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Contributing to a hijacked thread... is there a penalty for that?

Now that all the 911s are forced induction there are some additional break-in things you should do. You want to get the rings to mate well to the new plasma coated cylinder bores. This process was particularly important for aluminum blocks without sleeves with rings riding on a eutectic silicon aluminum alloy. Even though Porsche have used an iron coating in this engine it still makes sense.

You do this by stressing the engine at the limits of both pressure and piston velocity. You want to do periodic full throttle acceleration runs from 1K RPM to max turbo pressure. That'll probably be 5K RPM or so. 4th gear is good for this. Yes, you are "lugging" the engine. You also want to make periodic no load passes to the limiter, hold and return to idle using engine breaking. 2nd gear a good choice here.

This is essentially like driving the car in sport mode. You want to hit the rev limiter throughout the car's life so that you don't wear just the lower part of the bore. It seems like you would use the whole bore all the time but rods do stretch at higher RPMs.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:05 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

The new 991.2 does not have plasma coated bores. They use a "Rotating Single-Wire" (RSW) iron coated lining.
Also, I'd suggest no boost breakin procedure to allow slowly wearing any lining anomalies.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:14 AM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
The new 991.2 does not have plasma coated bores. They use a "Rotating Single-Wire" (RSW) iron coated lining.
Also, I'd suggest no boost breakin procedure to allow slowly wearing any lining anomalies.
I would say that's the same thing. You gotta get the iron onto the surface and you do that with a plasma.

I'll go with the no boost part first before the stress. That's a good strategy.

Good article on new engine here:

Quick Reply: Goodbye 991.1 Hello 991.2