Sponsored by:

Ceramic Paint Coating -

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Yes, but where do you stop sanding away the ceramic coating to make new paint adhere?
You don't need to sand it to get it out. If you machine polish the car, the ceramic coating will come off.

It's not that hard to remove.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:06 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you thank you
Old 04-24-2017, 03:58 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
The difference between a ceramic coating and wax/sealant is the longevity of the ceramic coating. If taken care of, the ceramic coating will protect a car much longer than a sealant or wax. However, a well waxed car will protect the car as much as the ceramic coating.

Personally, I love detailing my car. Every 6 months, I strip the car and apply a base layer for gloss followed by a sealant. Every 2 weeks, I put on a layer of wax. My car is a daily driver in Seattle and sheds water like crazy.

https://itsbetterwaxed.com/blogs/det...prevent-swirls

http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014/...ersible-error/
+1
Old 04-24-2017, 04:00 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
I like the paint correction every other year to make it near perfect again.
I thought it was supposed to protect against swirls etc?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:26 PM
rebelceb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911boy
I thought it was supposed to protect against swirls etc?
protect against =/= swirl proof

A lot of it also is dependent on proper washing, etc.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently had my Audi S4 paint correction and CQuarts applied. I cannot even begin to tell you what a difference it made. The paint was in really terrible condition. I bought that car last fall used with 25K miles. It was full of swirls and scratches. 3 days of heavy paint correction and an application of CQuarts made all the difference. The car looks NEW. Not just better, but brand new. Dirt doesn't seem to stick and the gloss is incredible. I just bought a new (black) 911 that I had the front half protected with Xpel Ultimate before picking up the car. I've got an appointment for a full CQuarts treatment next month. Full paint, glass, lights, wheels and calipers. Price is $1500 but super worth it to me after seeing the results of the S4. I would recommend it highly. Although as others have pointed out, a lot of this is up to the installer, detailer. You need to find a good one. Ask around.

Good luck!
alec
Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
You don't need to sand it to get it out. If you machine polish the car, the ceramic coating will come off.

It's not that hard to remove.

+ 1
Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
I believe just polishing will remove the coating.
Even wiping down with an alcohol solution will take it off.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pashaj
Speaking to someone at Suncoast, he mentioned that the Xpel clear bras may yellow after 2 years and it needs to be redone? True? I have an agate grey, would it noticeable?
I've seen clear bras that weren't waxed at all yellow. You have to keep it waxed or you will have issues.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I've seen clear bras that weren't waxed at all yellow. You have to keep it waxed or you will have issues.
I plan to. Thank you.
I think I will give Hydros Auto Spa in Queens, NY a shot. They seem like they know what they're doing...I've been there the past two days and I saw a Ferrari, a 911R and an ultraviolet gt3rs...if those owners trust them, I can with my little tts.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Even wiping down with an alcohol solution will take it off.
No, Opti pro coat will not come off with alcohol. it must be polished off (or use a paint remover). Man, i wish it could be removed with alcohol, would save me so much time knocking down high spots.

Nor does it need sanding to be fully removed, a polish will work. Some high spots may be knocked down faster with wet sanding though.

There is indeed lots of misinformation out there about these coatings.

After all that build-up, I’m sorry to say that because of it’s very nature, Opti-Coat is still only available to professional detailers. Opti-Coat is a permanent coating and it is not applied like a traditional wax or sealant. Once it’s cured the only way to remove Opti-Coat is by polishing, sanding, or with the use of paint removers. Because of its impervious property, IPA, Prep-Sol, Detergents, degreasers, or other chemical cleaners will not affect the coating. While the application process is very similar to Opti-Seal, when applying Opti-Coat you must ensure that it levels out before it cures (and it cures fast), because once it sets, it’s not coming off. Obviously this could pose a significant liability in the hands of the general public, which is why it’s only available to pro detailers.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:42 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spicygal
LexVan - Just curious - why are you re-applying every 2 years? I thought Opti-Coat had a 5 year warranty?
it does but then it comes down to maintenance and how **** you are about the vehicles paint. Its guaranteed to be hydrophobic for 5 years with proper maintenance. It isn't guaranteed to keep swirl marks off your car for 5 years. The coating makes the paint more durable so it will be harder to cause swirls ....buy it's still very possible.

If you are hell bent on a 100% swirl free car, you're polishing every year or 2, doesn't matter what coating you have on there. The cleaner your washing medium, the less swirls you will introduce. the less you touch the paint, the less swirls you will introduce...

#1 reason for swirls is bad car washing. if you're the type of guy to use a couple of buckets with no grit guard protection and a 10 year old wash mit, you are introducing new swirls every time you wash the car. Use a brush to clear snow off your hood? Using a dry shammy to dry the car? Have children who cant keep their hands off your paint? lol
Old 04-25-2017, 04:37 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rebelceb
protect against =/= swirl proof

A lot of it also is dependent on proper washing, etc.
Thats what I dont get. What does it do that regular applications of a good wax won't do?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Please check out the PCA's latest video on ceramic coatings moderated​ by our president. You must sand the ceramic coating off prior to any repair commencing. There is no substitute​.
I don't know about 'ceramic' coatings or what that really means, but OptiCoat Pro Plus does not require sanding to remove. That said, if you're repainting an entire panel of a car, you're probably gonna sand the clear coat off first anyway.

And OP, I can agree with LexVan that OptiCoat Pro Plus is awesome. But no way you're getting it done for $600. I understand it just went up to $1,100, and that doesn't include paint correction.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Thats what I dont get. What does it do that regular applications of a good wax won't do?
Coatings allow you avoid having to constantly clay, polish and reapply wax. Aside from saving you a ton of time, you're touching the car way less, which means less chance for adding marks to the car. Also, I don't care how good your wax is, it will degrade and when you go to wash your car, it will never have the shedding properties that a nano coating does.

I love the coating because I love fact that I don't have to waste all that time claying and polishing my car, and I can wash and dry my car in less than 15 minutes. And when I'm done it looks as good as a car that someone just spent hours detailing. Every time. My C2S OptiCoat is going on 2 years old and it still repels everything like the day it was applied.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Paint Coating -