Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Voice Control Retofit Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 AM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I specifically ordered voice control on my just delivered 2017 C4 GTS. It was deleted from the order by the factory. When I asked my salesman about this, he said the following. Porsche has been going through a cycle of offering voice control on the 991.2 cars, getting complaints that it works poorly, withdrawing voice control, attempting to improve it, and offering it again. He said that it is unlikely that a car delivered without voice control will be capable of adding it later.

This is disappointing as I have had very good results with voice control in a 2013 Ford C-Max, a 2014 BMW M4, a 2015 AMG C63s and a 2016 Chevy Volt.

It is difficult to believe that Porsche can get all the high tech stuff working so well in the 911 except for this one feature, particularly when it seems like a no brainer for almost all other car makers.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:17 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira Blumberg
I specifically ordered voice control on my just delivered 2017 C4 GTS. It was deleted from the order by the factory. When I asked my salesman about this, he said the following. Porsche has been going through a cycle of offering voice control on the 991.2 cars, getting complaints that it works poorly, withdrawing voice control, attempting to improve it, and offering it again. He said that it is unlikely that a car delivered without voice control will be capable of adding it later.

This is disappointing as I have had very good results with voice control in a 2013 Ford C-Max, a 2014 BMW M4, a 2015 AMG C63s and a 2016 Chevy Volt.

It is difficult to believe that Porsche can get all the high tech stuff working so well in the 911 except for this one feature, particularly when it seems like a no brainer for almost all other car makers.
Was voice control listed on your Monroney sticker? I specifically ordered voice control as well and since I am doing European Delivery, I already have my Monroney sticker and it is listed. I pick it up next week. (crossing fingers)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I had to specifically ask for it on my .2. That said I don't use it much. Siri works well. I'm more disappointed in the NAV system.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

I specifically ordered voice control on my just delivered 2017 C4 GTS. It was deleted from the order by the factory.
That's not cool. I was annoyed that my SA didn't even tell me it was a box to be ticked. If I had specified it and it was removed, I'd be angry.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Was voice control listed on your Monroney sticker? I specifically ordered voice control as well and since I am doing European Delivery, I already have my Monroney sticker and it is listed. I pick it up next week. (crossing fingers)

I just checked and it was not on my Monroney. It was definitely on my order sheet and it was removed without any notice to me. I was annoyed, but based on the comments here and from my SA, I suspect I would have been disappointed with it. Seems like a lose lose proposition.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:37 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Voice control being removed isn't anything your dealer can do anything about. If it was removed, it was done by Porsche. The voice control part is not a Porsche part and this is why they aren't pushing it. It's being redesigned but it's not ready yet.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

I just checked and it was not on my Monroney. It was definitely on my order sheet and it was removed without any notice to me. I was annoyed, but based on the comments here and from my SA, I suspect I would have been disappointed with it. Seems like a lose lose proposition.

You ordered an option and it was not delivered as requested (regardless if it is a zero cost option). You are entitled to compensation. Either get the voice control retrofitted or free service for a couple of years. Don't let them slide on this issue.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 PM
mr.porsche
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice control retrofit now available

I have a 2018 911 Carrera GTS on order. It comes standard with PCM and Nav. I too didn't know about the need to order Voice Control separately since it wasn't offered on the configuator and my salesman didn't mention it to me. My build locked in on June 6 and I only discovered the Voice Control issue by luck. A customer ordered car was in the dealer's showroom with Voice Control listed on the build sheet. I asked a salesman (mine was on a 2 week vacation) about it. He told me part of the story and I got the rest of the story from the many postings on Rennlist. I was really worried at that point since I have always had an Android phone and therefore no access to Siri. I spoke to PCNA today and was told that my build could not be changed since the lock date had passed. I was transferred to the Porsche Customer Commitment Center and after being put on hold a few times was relieved to hear that Voice Control CAN be retrofitted to my car at the dealer because it will already have PCM and Nav.. A Technical Bulletin is going out today from Porsche to all of the dealers formally announcing this policy. I hope that this information helps many of you.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.porsche
I have a 2018 911 Carrera GTS on order. It comes standard with PCM and Nav. I too didn't know about the need to order Voice Control separately since it wasn't offered on the configuator and my salesman didn't mention it to me. My build locked in on June 6 and I only discovered the Voice Control issue by luck. A customer ordered car was in the dealer's showroom with Voice Control listed on the build sheet. I asked a salesman (mine was on a 2 week vacation) about it. He told me part of the story and I got the rest of the story from the many postings on Rennlist. I was really worried at that point since I have always had an Android phone and therefore no access to Siri. I spoke to PCNA today and was told that my build could not be changed since the lock date had passed. I was transferred to the Porsche Customer Commitment Center and after being put on hold a few times was relieved to hear that Voice Control CAN be retrofitted to my car at the dealer because it will already have PCM and Nav.. A Technical Bulletin is going out today from Porsche to all of the dealers formally announcing this policy. I hope that this information helps many of you.
Great info - please let us know how this turns out.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:41 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

As a $2000 retrofit option? Lol
My experience with voice control on Porsches is like most people here...it is very poor. I realized a while ago that you buy Porsches for the driving experience and anything else above this is just a plus. The nav/pcm/tech stuff has never been great compared to other companies. Not sure why. Maybe they do it on purpose. I try not to let it bother me, although it doesn't always work.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:38 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
As a $2000 retrofit option? Lol
My experience with voice control on Porsches is like most people here...it is very poor. I realized a while ago that you buy Porsches for the driving experience and anything else above this is just a plus. The nav/pcm/tech stuff has never been great compared to other companies. Not sure why. Maybe they do it on purpose. I try not to let it bother me, although it doesn't always work.
It's not $2000. Suncoast has it for $259.95 + labor from the dealer.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I am sure it is crap. I had my SA order it because it shows my car was a customer order (like any dealer would spec my car lol), but usually I get in shouting matching with it and that has been happening since my 2004 Range Rover when it was new.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

I may be a minority, but i only use Voice Control to make phone calls hands free.
I found in my 958 CTT (2012) that it worked perfect for that.

My salesman ticked the box (since i couldn't) on my '18 GTS order which is slated to come 3rd week in Oct.
He stated that while it will be added from factory, it will have to be 'turned on' at a later time when i bring it in for service locally.

He added that Porsche is working to improve it. Therefore, when they turn it on during a local service, i will have no added charge.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:48 AM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
I may be a minority, but i only use Voice Control to make phone calls hands free.
I found in my 958 CTT (2012) that it worked perfect for that.

My salesman ticked the box (since i couldn't) on my '18 GTS order which is slated to come 3rd week in Oct.
He stated that while it will be added from factory, it will have to be 'turned on' at a later time when i bring it in for service locally.

He added that Porsche is working to improve it. Therefore, when they turn it on during a local service, i will have no added charge.
So can one install this item them selves is there a diagram or installation guide
Old 04-09-2021, 03:33 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 229 Posts

Reviving this thread.

Can Voice Control be retrofitted to a 991.2? If yes, please share details.

My 2017 911 has the button and the logo but the car was not ordered with it- pressing the button results in a message “Speech operation not available.”

Last edited by 348SStb; 04-09-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Voice Control Retofit Question