Sponsored by:

I am not going with the new 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
I agree with this. I think Porsche knows they needed to move to FI for the Carrera's by the time they release the 992.

I actually think what they did was smart. They essentially used the 991.2 as an opportunity to introduce the smaller FI motors and let everyone get used to them. It also gives Porsche a chance to refine things a bit before the 992 release. Once the 992 is revealed, the FI motor won't even really be a topic of discussion since it will have been around for awhile. I have faith that Porsche will perfect this new setup in the 992.
it's hard to imagine how fast and good the next one will be! Each new iteration is hailed as perfection (sans 996) and the new one comes out which fixes problems that we never knew to complain about. Before 991.2 specs were released there wasn't a single thread complaining about power or wanting to put a turbo on a 991.1.... if demand was there, aftermarket would have answered....
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
it's hard to imagine how fast and good the next one will be! Each new iteration is hailed as perfection (sans 996) and the new one comes out which fixes problems that we never knew to complain about. Before 991.2 specs were released there wasn't a single thread complaining about power or wanting to put a turbo on a 991.1.... if demand was there, aftermarket would have answered....
I agree. I personally think that if 991.2 owners were given the option of NA or FI motors (with similar power) in their cars when purchasing, very few if any would have gone FI.

There are many reasons I prefer my 991.1 3.8 to the new 991.2 3.0 but it's just not an argument worth having since owners on both sides will always defend what they bought since they want to feel good about their purchase.

I'm hopeful the new 992 will change my mind about smaller turbo motors in these cars.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those cars are NOT mass produced. There is a huge difference. If VAG didn't have cheap commuters then the 991.2 wouldn't pass since there are rules around company averages with regards to emissions and efficiency. This is also why several companies make EV essentially at a loss... I.e. That ugly BMW EV SUV.
They're throwing the Hellcat in everything including Jeeps, what are you talking about? They'll move MANY more of those.

The 991.2 3.0 is not some super efficient motor. I'm actually surprised how poor the MPG is. I don't see the huge efficiency gain over a 3.4 or 3.8 liter NA flat-6 and you still need fuel to make power.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phow
I agree. I personally think that if 991.2 owners were given the option of NA or FI motors (with similar power) in their cars when purchasing, very few if any would have gone FI.

There are many reasons I prefer my 991.1 3.8 to the new 991.2 3.0 but it's just not an argument worth having since owners on both sides will always defend what they bought since they want to feel good about their purchase.

I'm hopeful the new 992 will change my mind about smaller turbo motors in these cars.
Porsche still produces the GT3. That has the best NA flat-6 ever built and the new 991.2 iteration is supposedly even better.

They haven't abandoned the NA motor yet and clearly are still easily meeting emissions targets with it despite getting larger and making more power.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:11 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad news for everyone:
-.1 guys: we don't have the latest and greatest
-.2 guys: some people don't want to have your car over the .1

Now everyone can get on with their daily obbligations, what a relief...
Old 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by sticky
They're throwing the Hellcat in everything including Jeeps, what are you talking about? They'll move MANY more of those.

The 991.2 3.0 is not some super efficient motor. I'm actually surprised how poor the MPG is. I don't see the huge efficiency gain over a 3.4 or 3.8 liter NA flat-6 and you still need fuel to make power.
perhaps but only 100 of the cars mentioned that I responded too. Even so, there will be more 911s than hellcat engine wielding cars by far.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Banned

perhaps but only 100 of the cars mentioned that I responded too. Even so, there will be more 911s than hellcat engine wielding cars by far.
Based on what? They sold 12k Hellcat Challengers alone in the US in 2016. Compare that to 8901 911's.

That isn't factoring in the Charger or the Jeep yet to come. It's multiples more supercharged V8's so you are wrong, by far.

The point ultimately being the change isn't solely for emissions and Porsche could still easily deliver a naturally aspirated powerplant that meets the standards. Saying they can't is a cop out.

Doesn't Chevy sell a NA 6.2 liter V8 that the EPA doesn't have a problem with?
Old 04-20-2017, 03:02 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Based on what? They sold 12k Hellcat Challengers alone in the US in 2016. Compare that to 8901 911's.

That isn't factoring in the Charger or the Jeep yet to come. It's multiples more supercharged V8's so you are wrong, by far.

The point ultimately being the change isn't solely for emissions and Porsche could still easily deliver a naturally aspirated powerplant that meets the standards. Saying they can't is a cop out.

Doesn't Chevy sell a NA 6.2 liter V8 that the EPA doesn't have a problem with?
the EPA doesn't regulate individual cars. They make it so a manufacturer has to average a certain standard.

The decision for 3.0 wasn't for engineering bliss. It was solely to comply with global tariffs for engines over 3.0.... think it's a coincidence that everyone now has a 3.0 performance engine of some kind? Think they all just decided that was the ideal size?
Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Banned

the EPA doesn't regulate individual cars. They make it so a manufacturer has to average a certain standard.

The decision for 3.0 wasn't for engineering bliss. It was solely to comply with global tariffs for engines over 3.0.... think it's a coincidence that everyone now has a 3.0 performance engine of some kind? Think they all just decided that was the ideal size?
I realize that but if the GT3 with the larger engine and more power can be made a smaller flat-6 that is more fuel efficient in naturally aspirated form would not pose a problem.

Porsche is cutting costs (there is a gigantic fine being paid by the parent company) and positioning themselves for markets with displacement taxes although I doubt 3.4 vs. 3.0 is some huge tax difference.

I don't think it is a coincidence but Porsche is not a value proposition to begin with. The 3.4 and 3.8 sold last year, didn't they? Did the tax brackets radically change?
Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I realize that but if the GT3 with the larger engine and more power can be made a smaller flat-6 that is more fuel efficient in naturally aspirated form would not pose a problem.

Porsche is cutting costs (there is a gigantic fine being paid by the parent company) and positioning themselves for markets with displacement taxes although I doubt 3.4 vs. 3.0 is some huge tax difference.

I don't think it is a coincidence but Porsche is not a value proposition to begin with. The 3.4 and 3.8 sold last year, didn't they? Did the tax brackets radically change?
avoiding the tax adds up to BILLIONS. It is significant.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:21 PM
Banned

avoiding the tax adds up to BILLIONS. It is significant.
I mean I'd like to see the data. Not every country taxes by displacement and some of those that do have low 911 sales figures to begin with.

The 9A2 architecture will be with us for a while but it's ultimately about sharing the engine architecture, parts, and assembling everything in the same factory on the same line. Displacement taxes are just a bonus for some markets.

Btw, the 9A2 can easily hit 3.8 liters...
Old 04-20-2017, 03:24 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I mean I'd like to see the data. Not every country taxes by displacement and some of those that do have low 911 sales figures to begin with.

The 9A2 architecture will be with us for a while but it's ultimately about sharing the engine architecture, parts, and assembling everything in the same factory on the same line. Displacement taxes are just a bonus for some markets.

Btw, the 9A2 can easily hit 3.8 liters...
china does and that is enough. Many European countries do as well.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned

china does and that is enough. Many European countries do as well.
Please provide the tax breakdown.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:36 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

This argument is just getting sillier...

Please don't tell me that Porsche wanted to move to the 3.0 turbo motor in the Carrera's... It was a move based on a lot of moving pieces and came down to pro's vs con's. The pro's of moving to the new platform simply outweighed the con's of pissing off the customer base and losing some of the 911 soul.

I firmly believe that if Porsche could continue with the previous NA platform, they would. But times are changing and they need to evolve like the rest of the manufacturers.

A month ago I had a chance to drive the new 488. Nice car and definitely quicker than the previous 458 but you couldn't help but feel like this was a move Ferrari was forced into and not one they were excited to make on their own. I feel Porsche is going through the same thing with the move to the 3.0 platform.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why are so many making excuses why Porsche went wth the 3.0L TT? It's simple. The 3.0 TT is more fuel efficient and more powerful. So all you NA engine owners, get over it. You now have second best. The end!!!

Quick Reply: I am not going with the new 991.2