Sponsored by:

alignment, lowering springs, sway bar question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:02 AM
nariman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment, lowering springs, sway bar question

i am planning to autocross the car this summer, and was thinking to get alignment that is good for street and autocrossing

also my car is base suspension and i was thinking maybe to get lowering springs and maybe upgrade a sway bar

any suggestions for alignment specs, also what springs and sway bars would you suggest?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2017, 03:22 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

I'd find a local Porsche tuning shop to get the whole thing setup properly, as stock suspension on our cars, unless you have a GT car have relatively limited adjustment.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:00 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

TPC would be a good place to look...
Old 04-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Tarrett or RSS also... but honestly I'd wait until you have done some autox so that you can analyze both your and the car's "performance" before trying to tune it
Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

I just started tracking and received some good advice from my instructor (as well as from posts here). Put the money into yourself first before your car (other than addressing safety issues like tires, brakes, brake fluid and property maintenance). Do some events and maybe take a course at a school like Bondurant or Skip Barber. A base Carrera is plenty car; however, please ignore this if you are not a novice. I am assuming that you are a novice.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:59 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
I just started tracking and received some good advice from my instructor (as well as from posts here). Put the money into yourself first before your car (other than addressing safety issues like tires, brakes, brake fluid and property maintenance). Do some events and maybe take a course at a school like Bondurant or Skip Barber. A base Carrera is plenty car; however, please ignore this if you are not a novice. I am assuming that you are a novice.
I am not a novice. I've held a SCCA and NSA licenses including time instructing. We all need to hear this sometimes.

thing is its an addiction and planning, researching and internet helps get our fix in between track days.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The driving style for autocross is markedly different than track driving so while I'm sure there's some transfer of experience between the two I'm not so sure it's a lot. In autocross you'll rarely have the opportunity to exceed 60mph. Most of the time you are fully engaged in sharp turns, hard tight braking, or slaloms of some sort. What the speed in our cars tends to do is get you into the next set of turns too fast... so more moderation than you'd expect is needed.

I agree with R_Rated's comment that doing this kind of research as part of the anticipation of the event is a big part of the fun. So ask away!

And back to Larry's comment, I think that is well founded too. You might just want to take your car out the first time or two without significant mods and see what changes it might need. In all honesty, it is you and not the car that is going to be the limiting factor the first few times out but all of the experienced guys know this and won't make fun of you for it. Expect to be beaten by quite a few experienced drivers in what one might think of as lesser cars. Heck, it takes a little exposure just to get used to reading the cones on the course well.

As you suggest in your original post, alignment can be a big influence but what works for one car setup might not work well for another so it will be hard to make apples-to-apples comparisons with other cars here unless they have the same tires, suspension, etc. That said, my current alignment runs -1.0 degrees camber front and -1.5 degrees camber rear which seems to result in a good balance for my car, but I have SPASM and PDCC which keeps my car fairly flat in the first place. Some negative camber up front is almost always a good thing in autocross to reduce understeer, but again, you might want to see if your car exhibits any of that under autocross conditions before tweaking it too far. In autocross you are often braking into some of the turns so that helps anyway, plus you can use a little bit of a trail-braking effect that helps in some situations too if you don't carry it to far. If you get understeer in the slaloms or other non-braking situations them some additional camber or toe modifications might be called for.

Overall you'll have a great time with this. Just go in with humble expectations and watch what other drivers are doing when they run the course and listen to what any experienced guys can tell you they see you doing wrong, especially if you get some ride-alongs from these guys. You can always ask them to ride with you. It's quite normal for novice drivers.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I am not a novice. I've held a SCCA and NSA licenses including time instructing. We all need to hear this sometimes.

thing is its an addiction and planning, researching and internet helps get our fix in between track days.
True. I agree. It's definitely and addiction. I'm loving it though. Going to Sebring in two weekends and really looking forward to it. Other than being a stickler for maintenance, for the first time, I'm going to start recording my sessions with telemetry. My car is base Carrera. The only thing I did was buy 19" BBS CH-R wheels with OEM N-rated tires to avoid roughing up the OEM 20" wheels on my car in my avatar. Will upgrade to proper tires when I'm more consistent.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

One other thought: Often in autocross you'll see advice to significantly increase the air pressure in your tires. In my opinion, this is not necessary or even desirable in our cars. The reason it is frequently advised for more "normal" cars is to make sure that sidewall rollover doesn't end up de-beading the tire and I don't think our cars have any problem with this. You will need all of the grip you can get though so normal pressures are fine... some even run somewhat lower pressures but I'd consider that an advanced topic at this point.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:21 AM
nariman
Advanced

Thank you all
i use to do autocross my c6 corvette for 5 years

driving my base 991 i feel the car could have stiffer sway bar, feel a little soft, and yes better tires
but after corvette it is so much easier to handle the car, and overall the car is doing very good

i do feel that the car could have a little more power, but overall i love the car

But vette felt to me like it was turning sharper and flatter

with corvette i use to get better times with every run, but with current car i seem to do very consistent same times, not sure if it is good or not

but i think alignment, better tires, springs, sway bar should make it better

just wanted to get some advice
Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize I was talking basics to an already experienced driver... oops!

I don't know if you saw this fairly recent thread in case it is something you'd want to consider, but a guy here recently adding the SPASM sways bars to his car and discussed it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9695...sway-bars.html. I don't know how well this would work without some lowering/stiffer springs too though.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:00 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nariman
Thank you all
i use to do autocross my c6 corvette for 5 years

driving my base 991 i feel the car could have stiffer sway bar, feel a little soft, and yes better tires
but after corvette it is so much easier to handle the car, and overall the car is doing very good

i do feel that the car could have a little more power, but overall i love the car

But vette felt to me like it was turning sharper and flatter

with corvette i use to get better times with every run, but with current car i seem to do very consistent same times, not sure if it is good or not

but i think alignment, better tires, springs, sway bar should make it better

just wanted to get some advice
i didn't realize you weren't a novice and I apologize for that. I also find that may base Carrera has a little too much roll in the turns, but not doing anything about it until I get a little more track time. I want to do springs but concerned about shocks. I would do KW HAS if I were you since it allows for adjustability. A lot would frown upon doing just springs, but if you don't lower to aggressively, you should be fine.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:43 AM
nariman
Advanced

no problem at all and thank you!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:46 AM
nariman
Advanced

i still can't find much online regarding good alignment setting for street and autocross for the base 991
suspension
if any one can recommend me that would help.
i have a alignment to be done Friday
Thanks

Quick Reply: alignment, lowering springs, sway bar question