15.22%
2013 C4S $76k
23.91%
2014 C2S $78k
4.35%
2014 C2S $82k
56.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Another "which car should I pick thread" :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another "which car should I pick thread" :)

Close to pulling the trigger on my first 911. This forum advice has been very helpful to narrow choices down.

A few criteria items about this car - daily driver (7k miles per year), mid south so no snow, i'm meticulous about taking care of my cars, TCO and resale are big factors for me, likely keep the car 2 to 3 years based on current situation.

I've driven 17 base pdk left a bit underwhelmed. 14 S PDK w sport exhaust LOVED it (I highly value a high revving motor over low torque). 14 base pdk nice but the car was in poor condition. 12 manual - car felt "tired" and wore out.

Budget: started at $65k, figured if I can get a nice 991 20k miles with some warranty left I would pull the trigger. But then as I've looked I really want something newer that is close to mint as possible vs. a lease turn in or a "tired" 911. So I've bumped my budget to $80k max to get into a 2014 CS2 w 1+ years warranty or CPO which I've got a couple decent options.

These are all out of state cars. If they were local I wouldnt post this thread as I could hop in one to the other

Option 1 - 2013 base CPO through 11-18, PDK Chrono, prem seats / heated /vented - $68k. 18k miles. Has all my must haves except no sport exhaust and classic wheels (I can swap wheels later).

Option 2 - 2014 C2S 18k miles, warranty though 11/18 no CPO. full loaded with every option I want except no full leather dash (not a deal breaker). $78k. Was in a fender bender so front panels were "refinished" I saw pictures of the accident report.

Option 3 - 2013 C4S 25k miles, has every option I want, CPO through 9-19, $76k. Owner is sloppy, the car is dirty his response is "you just get it detailed". So I'm very turned off and question if I want his car.

Option 4 - 2014 C2S 15k miles, immaculate CPO through 11/19. exact color choice options even wheel color.. $82k. yes over budget but its specced out perfect and would be a "dream" 911 for me.

Of course I have my "heart set" on #4 but do I really need to spend that much. I could pick up #2 to meet all my needs but shorter warranty, then have to deal with light accident on carfax at trade in. #3 is the best "on paper" but I really want something that is awesome, the car is dirty so its a big turn off. #1 is the "safest" choice based on cost and proximity however I'll always have S envy, not due to what other people think, but how much more fun would it be on back roads with the extra performance. A 911 is actually the opposite for me in the "what do people think category" as I'm a conservative guy and dont like to be flashy, but I just love these sports cars.

Hopefully this thread isnt annoying for you all. Yes, I know its my decision. And yes I will ultimately make that decision myself However you all may be able to offer opinions on resale, missing options, etc that I may not have thought about which is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

Last edited by mrmojom3; 04-12-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: se
Old 04-12-2017, 12:22 PM
OMFS
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I love shopping for other people. Voted #1 for you. Not trying to complicate your life but would you consider one of these?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7420/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2813/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8403/overview/
Old 04-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Option #4 obviously, you only live once and you can't take it with you.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Originally Posted by OMFS
I love shopping for other people. Voted #1 for you. Not trying to complicate your life but would you consider one of these?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7420/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2813/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8403/overview/
Thanks for the suggestions. I think the ones I've listed are better options for me. As I've scoured the internet the last 3 weeks I've come across these already.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:27 PM
OMFS
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
Thanks for the suggestions. I think the ones I've listed are better options for me. As I've scoured the internet the last 3 weeks I've come across these already.
I figured. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Option #4 obviously, you only live once and you can't take it with you.
Bingo. If you're spending that kind of money, might as well get exactly what you want.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:15 PM
RCD
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Voted #1 for a few reasons:
For a daily driver and some back roads fun, the base is plenty.
You value a high revving motor over torque - the base excels here.
This is your first 911. The pricing on the base is very comfortable for you and allows you to get into a 911, enjoy it for a few years and then decide if you need to move up.

I considered voting for #3, but just couldn't do it. The C4S is the best value of the four and they are amazing cars, but I would also be hesitant because of the owner. To some extent, when you buy a 911 you are buying the previous owner in addition to the car.

"I'm a conservative guy and dont like to be flashy, but I just love these sports cars" - This is the best reason for buying a 911 - not because of perception, but because you love the car. Regardless which one you choose, I am sure you will not be disappointed
Old 04-12-2017, 01:45 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Really? You are agonizing over a $6,000 difference (between 2 and 4)?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:58 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
Bingo. If you're spending that kind of money, might as well get exactly what you want.

+2.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I eliminated #2 and #3 right off the bat.

Too many cars out there to buy a known accident car. And buying from a buyer who keeps his car filthy is a turn off, plus you don't need AWD. Plus the price difference between 2, 3, and 4 is a non-factor.

Now, I voted for #4 because honestly the base engine just didn't have enough grunt for me. I drove a few and it just was really anemic feelign to me. Now that I've owned my S for a few months, I really feel like I made the right decision. I don't get a chance to stretch the car's legs in more than 20% of driving because of where I live. I am even feeling like a base 991.2 or even better an S would be a better car for me, where I am, although I would miss the noise terribly. But I know there are people who love the base Carrera and it's a fine car, but for how I drive, it doesn't have enough torque below 5k RPM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

#4, but it would be helpful to see the options list/MSRP for the ones you mentioned (or VIN).
Old 04-12-2017, 02:28 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Normally I'd vote #4 because you never regret getting the S... But this time I voted #1 (and your $68K price is too high IMO, market should be 60-ish) because that is a significant cash difference that you could spend on a fun classic like an old Bimmer or alfa and be twice as cool ;-)

Seriously I find the base to be more than enough and characterful, yes it needs a little more revs, fine by me.... If you'd jumped to a 991.2 OK, the turboos make a ton of difference in torque, but between .1s, I like the base engine (especially in manual)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Well, forget #4. Spent a couple hours on the phone negotiating, agreed on a price, provided my CC for deposit. Only to get an email back that the car was sold from under me

What a waste of my time and frustrating! However, tough lesson learned. When the right car comes up jump on it.

I'm concerned about #2 on my list, buying a car with a ding on carfax, even if mild accident. I think I need to get it a good $5k under market as its going to be a hassle when I go to sell / trade in down the road.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Option #5: Wait for another option #4.

Every time I've "settled" for a car that wasn't everything I wanted its always nagged at me in the back of my mind and then I end up spending more $ trying to do the upgrades to get what I wanted in the first place... or in the case of my first Porsche, trading it back in 8 months later to get what I should have gotten the first time and costing myself more that way.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:48 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Also don't forget you can always add sport exhaust later, but it will cost you another $3k plus labor. Don't expect to get anything back in money for the original parts though, the market on stock exhausts is next to none. Just budget for it in your original purchase so later you don't get fussed at for spending another $4k on a car your just spent $70k on... like I tend to get fussed at sometimes. Sometimes the dealer's will make you a deal on the installation to get the car sold and then they might be able to roll that into the purchase price (dunno?).

Quick Reply: Another "which car should I pick thread" :)