Wandering eyes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:46 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Wandering eyes.

I'm curious what other people may have for additional "fun" cars

So part of me really wants a less powered car with less amenities and less weight to kind of go hooning around in. I am down to 2 cars as my tertiary car in the stable so not concerned with any practicality - only fun.

Car #1.

Lotus Elise. Epic handling. No frills. All analog and very primitive. Most on here are likely aware of this car.

Car #2.

This is the shocker.... a Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ. For 17 my there is much better brakes and power curve for the 205hp. It's light, analog and very fun to drive.

Additionally something that would be great to tinker with. The aftermarket has gone nuts for these cars, suspension, drivertrain, forced induction.... way more options than our 991s. Specifically interested in the Cosworth upgrades including their trick twinscrew that'll put the car over 300 really usable hp with a very NA, linear type power band.

Compared to the elise it has amenities... but compared to pretty much anything else its bare. Also - back seats and enough room to haul 4 tires, a jack and some tools to the track.

Anyone else own one of these or driven the subayota?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:41 AM
Double_J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind the Toybaru but think that it's starting to look a little long in the tooth.

I'd probably take a look at the new Miata (the new targa version is sexy as hell even though it adds weight), or a used Boxster.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

You just be small in stature to consider a Lotus Elise. A friend of mine has one, so I had an opportunity to sit in it. It wasn't a pleasant experience, although I'm 6'4". If I could fit in one, I think it would be a great option. I haven't driven the Subaru.

What about a lightly optioned Miata?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:46 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Other cars are bikes for me. Currently got a new KTM 1290 Super Adventure R on order. Hope to see it late April or early May. Fun for exploring forest service roads up in the mountains. The 911 really does it for me for cars although if someone gave me a John Cooper special Mini I would not refuse.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:50 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Dennis C
You just be small in stature to consider a Lotus Elise. A friend of mine has one, so I had an opportunity to sit in it. It wasn't a pleasant experience, although I'm 6'4". If I could fit in one, I think it would be a great option. I haven't driven the Subaru.

What about a lightly optioned Miata?
Miata doesn't have the aftermarket support. Interestingly enough the 150hp miata is faster than the 200hp Subayota in every measurable way. 17 fixes some of that with improved mid range, suspension and a LSD. Miata is way fun but a no sunroof hardtop with no options is appealing at the moment.

Speaking of Miatas - 50K gets you a turnkey LS3 Miata with full trasformation including brakes, suspension, transmission, drivetrain and body stiffening!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

How about one of these?

Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Hurricane
How about one of these?

Too nice! haha

You know how we all love a good steak or whatever delicacy is your favorite? Sometimes you still want fried chicken from the gas station or a Whataburger("in and out" for the left coast liberals).

Also thinking cost of tracking and tears shed if something breaks vs cost of repairs. Plus part of me still longs for something to mod. Thought I got that out of my system but I just didn't... Only need about 5-7K to finish perfecting my 991 and then I'd really like to leave it alone.... I've come so far and it's almost there! I need a project.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Too nice! haha

You know how we all love a good steak or whatever delicacy is your favorite? Sometimes you still want fried chicken from the gas station or a Whataburger("in and out" for the left coast liberals).

Also thinking cost of tracking and tears shed if something breaks vs cost of repairs. Plus part of me still longs for something to mod. Thought I got that out of my system but I just didn't... Only need about 5-7K to finish perfecting my 991 and then I'd really like to leave it alone.... I've come so far and it's almost there! I need a project.
Saw one in person finally at one of our autocross events late last year. Very sharp looking! Very light weight, too. I have no idea about the durability for track use, though.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

My other fun rides.

The raptor is the family car. Had it since 2013. Boss 302 is a sentimental car I'll never let go although the C4S is a better sports car. Bikes only see track duty these days but here they are in street clothes.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

We had a 15 Toyota FRS. An amazingly fun little car for the money. No issues during our ownership and it was such a entertaining drive. With the improvements made with the new model, I'd imagine it's even better.

Make sure you get the manual and IMO something in a exciting color.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

MGB, pre-gigantic ugly rubber bumpers. That's one I sold but wish I hadn't. I am also thinking about an old Beetle.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Saw one in person finally at one of our autocross events late last year. Very sharp looking! Very light weight, too. I have no idea about the durability for track use, though.
I've driven one on a road and a track. I'll just say it has a carbon fiber tub. Glorious to wring out on the track It's essentially an improved and more luxurious lotus elise[same toyota engine]- it FEELS light(and is) but it's also sooooo wide. 60mm wider than a 4S.

Also - it's an a romeo. This means its quirky and troublesome and you have to love it in spite of that.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

but I can't drive it on the street anymore.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:13 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
MGB, pre-gigantic ugly rubber bumpers. That's one I sold but wish I hadn't. I am also thinking about an old Beetle.
Am looking at those! They have full coilover and multilink suspension retrofits for them now too! The Purists will had a resto-mod but it's needed to take abuse.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

I like both of your choices. I have owned an Elise and Exige. I'm 6 foot and fit easily with a helmet on. You will have to take yoga to get in and out but once you are in the are comfortable cars imo. They are the last car of that type to be built imo. Fun factor is 10+.

Quick Reply: Wandering eyes.