Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTV (Torque Vectoring) C4 7MT ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts
Default PTV (Torque Vectoring) C4 7MT ??

I have a couple of days before I am locked in my order on base Targa 4 manual transmission.
It has been a long time coming, but unfortunately... where I now live... I probably will not be able to track the car. I also don't think a Targa is the best suited model for a track car; but that is another topic. Basically, it will be a GT car. Highway and back road adventures.

So far, I have been unable to dig up little information on PTV for daily driving. There was a previous thread here, but it was inconclusive and mostly related to PDK cars. I am getting the manual transmission with Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust and 20" wheel upgrade. Possibly winter driving is on the horizon... maybe not.

Can somebody speak with authority on PTV with a manual transmission? Thoughts and recommendations? I can't find enough information to make an informed decision. Thank you.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:44 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

"back road adventures" - get PTV. I have both the standard lockable diff (standard PTV) and E-PTV (electronically regulated rear differential) and would rate them this way E-PTV > PTV > open diff.

PTV comes into its own in tight corners and or where there is variation in pavement/grip conditions. It improves both cornering and safety (maximises turn in, grip/traction).

If you are proposing to drive to and from work, have great roads and with nothing to challenge the car in terms of cornering or conditions then there is little point in getting PTV.

On the other hand, as soon as you engage in "sporty" driving on more challenging roads and under more challenging conditions then PTV is well worth it.

Personally, I would always spec it as an option as it very effective and largely unobtrusive
Old 04-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Thank you. Greatly appreciated. I'll add it in.
also... regards from Nova Scotia!
Old 04-10-2017, 09:28 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^^ Nova Scotia I would definitely get PTV - e.g. patches of black ice, roads partially covered in leaves, broken/mixed pavement, plenty of inclement weather
Old 04-13-2017, 02:00 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm in Toronto with MT 991.2 Targa that I drive all year round, and I track the car (why not?). If you know how to drive a MT and don't track the car save your money, you will not miss it. You will not die in a firey crash without it, and on regular roads you will not reach the limit. Save the money and go to Punta Cana.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:42 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Since you didn't get a lot of responses from the MT folks, I'll add just a touch of info from my PDK point of view on the chance it helps.

First, I don't know if you saw this summary on Excellence, but maybe it helps a little: http://www.excellence-mag.com/of-not...g#.WO97pRiZPMU

I don't think PTV makes any real difference in what I consider "daily driving", I think it only really comes into play during spirited and aggressive driving when you are diving into tighter curves.

The thing I find interesting about PTV is I can't positively tell you it is there and when it is working. But when I first got my 991 after several years of 997 models I found the turn-in and hookup through tighter curves just stunning. It was almost unnatural how well it was turning in at first, but I've adapted to it now and expect it. Some of that effect may be coming from PDCC in my car too, allowing the car to keep the tires flatter to the road. So I can't say that I directly know it was due to PTV, I'd have to do a back-to-back test in a car without it, but I'm pretty certain that PTV during aggressive driving in twisties is a really nice thing to have.

I know the MTs have the mechanical differential version so it may act a little differently, but the concept of braking the inside back tire and letting torque instead transfer to the outer rear tire should hold true with either differential to a large degree.

So my bottom line based on your original question is I don't think it will have any real effect in your daily driving, unless you're like me and tend to go out of my way to find some good curves and push the car a bit hard through them. For more GT-style driving I doubt you'll experience a lot of benefit.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:50 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

I will chime in as a dedicated MT guy. I considered PTV on my 6MT 981 and my 7MT 991.2 C4. I decided against it on both cars.

First, you wont be able to tell the difference AT ALL as a daily driver.

Second, even on a track, it is very hard to notice. (I've taken four out on a track that had PTV).

If you are driving for 7:30 min lap times on the ring then get it. Otherwise, put your money somewhere else.

I only considered it for the LSD function. But using my .2 C4 as a commuter car with AWD and snow tires where I live, I just don't need it.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

While I don't think it's necessary, and I agree if all your doing is commuting in your car, you'll hardly noticed the benefit, I totally disagree with anyone who says that you can't tell the difference. Drive two similarly equipped cars back to back, one with one without, and you will absolutely notice the difference in tight turns. I have a turn in my 30mph tight turn in my neighborhood where you could feel it working. Once you get used to it, you'll come to expect it and maybe not notice it, but the minute you took the same turn in a non-PTV car, you'll notice it. If I were intending to use my car for spirited drives on windy roads, I'd absolutely spend the coin on PTV. Money much better spent that on slathering every surface of the interior in leather the way some people do.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Most helpful! I am about to call the dealer to confirm options. I think I will get it rather than regret it. Heck, the first oil change is probably going to cost more than having the factory install this option. I am not going too nuts on the car, but this is my first new car. I've waited 40 years for this day! Cheers... and thank you all so much.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:20 PM
LittleBlueGT
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would imagine PTV is more of a must for those of us that will daily our cars in winter, with snow and ice 5 months of the year?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While I don't think it's necessary, and I agree if all your doing is commuting in your car, you'll hardly noticed the benefit, I totally disagree with anyone who says that you can't tell the difference. Drive two similarly equipped cars back to back, one with one without, and you will absolutely notice the difference in tight turns. I have a turn in my 30mph tight turn in my neighborhood where you could feel it working. Once you get used to it, you'll come to expect it and maybe not notice it, but the minute you took the same turn in a non-PTV car, you'll notice it. If I were intending to use my car for spirited drives on windy roads, I'd absolutely spend the coin on PTV. Money much better spent that on slathering every surface of the interior in leather the way some people do.
My situation is not apples to apples, but I went from a 981 CS without PTV to my 991.1 C2S with PTV and around tighter corners, especially in the city, you can feel the PTV work. Also on Track, I feel I can carry more speed into corners as I can feel that PTV dialing out any understeer when correcting mid corner. The true purist will probably find it annoying, but I am a 3-5 track days a year kinda guy so it's a worthwhile option IMO. But it definitely wears out rear brake pads faster than usual. Currently I have 20k miles 3 DE events on my stock pads and my fronts have about 40% and rears need to be replaced with maybe 15-20% pad life.

Quick Reply: PTV (Torque Vectoring) C4 7MT ??