Sponsored by:

991.2 order - stereo feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:00 AM
cug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Get the Burmester. Heck one good speaker in a home theater system costs that much.
What a sound reasoning ...

Update: Just in case you don't understand my sarcasm, the above is about the dumbest reason one can come up with in my opinion.

Last edited by cug; 04-10-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
The road noise in a 991 is more substantial than lots of cars and part of the driving experience. With windows down (which brings in other aural delights) the stereo is basically background noise. I have no experience with the base unit, but the Bose is perfectly fine for my listening pleasure while cruising with the windows up.

With windows down the air wants to hit you in the ear like a jackhammer. I have no sunroof.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:17 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default I have sunroof delete as well...

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
With windows down the air wants to hit you in the ear like a jackhammer. I have no sunroof.
I suggest you look into the AWE wind deflectors. I installed on mine and makes a big difference on wind buffeting. Simple install. Available at AWE or Suncoast.

Pic attached

Last edited by AlBinVA; 04-17-2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by cug

Update: Just in case you don't understand my sarcasm, the above is about the dumbest reason one can come up with in my opinion.
I thought it was just me thinking that..
LOL, No offence to Jr, but cug you nailed it!
Old 04-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Get the Bose at a minimum, for the sub alone. I have the HD radio in my .1 and, while it's clarity is still pretty good if you have a lossless source, the lack of a sub is a major bummer. The system has no sense of depth or power to it.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by cug

You're right, the update was needed.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:54 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by gregv8
The problem isn't with the stereo. It's the road noise that's significantly higher in a 911 than any other car.
Once you're cruising over 50mph+, no stereo can compensate for that.
When stopped, they are all nice. I have the Bose and it sounds wonderful when the car is not moving.
Thats just what I was going to say. Its a very loud car . ask dealer to hear Bose vs standard and Burm. No chance i would get Burm in a car this loud....but thats me. I have standard and would probably try Bose next time but FM and Ipod sound ok. Serius....not so much. Music is behind you .....with window down
Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
I suggest you look into the AWE wind deflectors. I installed on mine and makes a big difference on wind buffeting. Simple install. Available at AWE or Suncoast.

Pic attached
Or just put the windows up like 2"
Old 04-10-2017, 05:50 PM
cug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary JR
You're right, the update was needed.
Always happy to help out ...
Old 04-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

If stereo sound quality matters to you and you don't want to get hurt on resale, get the best factory audio option Porsche offers (Burmester), or at least the Bose.

Don't do aftermarket. Although aftermarket can be made to sound better and could cost less than the factory options, most 911 buyers on resale are very negative on modified late model Porsche's with aftermarket stereos, and you'll lose whatever cost savings you got buying it due to increased depreciation on resale or trade.

As for relative differenxe among factory stereo options, I've had them all but in different models (Bose in a 996 Targa, Bose in a 981 Boxster, Burmester in a Panamera, and Sound Package Plus (base) in a GT3 and a GT4).

Certainly the Boss in the 981 Boxster was superior sounding, especially mid-bass punch, clarity and warmth, vs the base Sound Package Plus stereos in my GT3 and GT4, regardless of road/wind noise. Burmester in the Panamera was a whole other level, but I expect it may not be as good in a 911 due to space and packaging. But I don't know for sure. Have never had the pleasure of owning or driving a Porsche with Burmester other than my Panamera.

Now I have an Audi RS7 with B&O, so I know what you mean. Excellent. Overall, though, Burmester in Panamera was as good or better.

Long story short: Burmester.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:58 AM
cug
Instructor

Additional expenses at buying time rarely ever make it through the used sale or trade in, especially audio components. They lose more absolute value and most of the time even more percentage value.

Don't buy a Burmester for resale, that's just an illusion, buy it because you want it and then just live with the price. If you don't know whether you want it after trying it out at the dealer, don't buy it. I'm an Audio nut and a licensed sound technician – it wasn't worth it for me.

But I agree 100% on the aftermarket solution. You'll never get THAT money back. Not even close.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:13 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

he is leasing, so resale doesn't matter. I wonder what the incremental cost of the burmeister would be in a lease though?

I had a '12 with base and now have a '13 with bose. The bass is a little better, but I really don't notice much difference other than that.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Loft23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
he is leasing, so resale doesn't matter. I wonder what the incremental cost of the burmeister would be in a lease though?

I had a '12 with base and now have a '13 with bose. The bass is a little better, but I really don't notice much difference other than that.
MRM or Maximum Residualized MSRP on an '18 C2S is $129,800. So if you option a car, wether it's the stereo or any other options, above the MRM, it will not be counted against your residual. In other words, doesn't add value to your car at the end of the lease. So it's pointless to spec a C2S to $150k, whether you lease or own, because the resale is based on market and comp for that generation of vehicles. Options may make it more attractive and easier to move, but don't expect it to add much value later.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:25 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 991.2 cab with the standard stereo. I am not an audiophile or audio expert, but I can tell you it sounds terrible. As others have pointed out, the 991 has substantial more road and engine noise than an executive sedan (in your case an M5). So right off the bat, the 991 is at a disadvantage in this department. Additionally, if you listen to satellite radio or MP3 files from your phone and such, any system is going to sound terrible in my opinion because the file has been compressed. This is why I reached my own conclusion that it was not worth it TO ME to spend the extra cash on the stereo upgrade.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Long story short: Burmester.
Absolutely.

For good reason, any reason or no reason at all.

Quick Reply: 991.2 order - stereo feedback