Sponsored by:

Targa 4s feed back

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
I'm pretty sure the velcro was to fix that plastic trim bar, what else did you need to pad? And what kind of silicone lube did you use for the seals?

The rubbery creak of the top is my final unsolved noise issue. I'm not sure if its the Targa roof or the glass lid.
I used something called Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray, something I purchased at a local auto parts store. That particular creaking seemed noticeable only at temperatures under 35 degrees, so I can't be sure whether the silicone spray or arrival of spring fixed the noise.

In addition to the plastic trim bar I also padded some spots where the metal frame bars hinge under the Targa bar. I suspect those were unnecessary.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Love my Targa GTS......Looks Great...Drives Great.......
Old 04-13-2017, 05:48 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 123 Posts

Here are some questions I've always had about the Targa.

Is the top fabric or metal?

Does the top detract from the 911 look when closed? I love the way it looks open and that's how you almost always see it in pictures.

How's the look of the car with the top in different colors other than black? I wish the configurator included a picture with the top closed.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
Is the top fabric or metal?

Does the top detract from the 911 look when closed? I love the way it looks open and that's how you almost always see it in pictures.

How's the look of the car with the top in different colors other than black? I wish the configurator included a picture with the top closed.
Both. The Targa top is metal covered in fabric. To be specific it is Teflon coated magnesium.

Looks are up to the individual. I think it looks BEST with the top down, but even with the top up the Targa bar and rear glass are very striking/good looking. No other 911 has wrap around glass, they have the little D shaped windows. But even with the fabric top, the silver or black Targa bar and the wrap around glass it still looks like a 911 Coupe with the top up which is a great thing.

You can change the top color AND put the top up and down in both the 2D and 3D Porsche Car Configurator. Look for the same top up/down button on the screen that the cabrio has.

Also if that's not good enough just google search "Porsche Targa 991 top red" (replace red with the color of your choice) or similar variants of that search till you find what you want. The red top on a black Targa with red/black interior is very striking and stands out but its not for everyone.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:47 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just posted on another thread, so apologies for the repost, but I just test drove a Targa 4S and found the buffeting to be pretty extreme, more than I remember in my 2013 cab. Also much more than my current convertible. This was highway at 70-80 mph and also on a back road or two 50-60. Could barely hear the exhaust, which I know can be changed, but I live with the top down on my cars and I was taken aback.

I had it with the windows up and also the passenger window up but driver's window halfway down, as I used to do on my old SC and 3.2 Carrera Targas, which helped, but not that much. How are you guys setting the windows?

Love the look of the Targa but don't know if I could live with it on a day-to-day basis. My current convertible is a hardtop, and it's nice having the best of both worlds on it, but leaning toward the soft top on the 991 unless I am missing something here. I am 6'1 and usually sit as low in the car as possible.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 AM
deardorff8x10
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have loved my 991.1 targa 4s. According to the meter in the car, I have pulled more than 1g, and while there is a bit of flex, not much. I find that the 4wd is good and fairly predictable, and can help in some tighter cornering. I haven't driven the 991.2, which could be better in this regard, but I would say that to get a lot of torque, you need to be in the 5-7k range. At low RPM, there is little torque, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in a DD car. I have not noticed wind buffeting, but there is a speed around 40-45mph where there is some kind of resonance, but not a big deal. Overall, it is really comfortable and great for longer drives.

It is heavy, which adds a bit to the flex feeling. The suspension is a good balance of damping and stiffness, and overall I feel like it goes where I point it. I haven't tracked it, but in general, I feel I can anticipate and control over or understeer.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:41 AM
spur911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Jenner, thanks for all your feed back,,,,,, and every one else,,,,, after all my research and looking at the Targa's,,,,, decided to stay with my 997 tt
Can't let my baby go !!!!!!!!

George
Old 02-11-2020, 04:18 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

del
Old 02-12-2020, 01:02 AM
chekraze
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it easy to tint that curves back window?

Old 02-12-2020, 01:03 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts

No it is not. It was a PITA, even for the very experienced guy that did mine. But it can be done.

DaveGee
Old 02-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Ddana
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how easy it is but can be done. I bought mine out of Tx and had the tint removed as it was too dark for my needs. But yes a proper installer can do it.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:14 PM
pmiddy
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
No it is not. It was a PITA, even for the very experienced guy that did mine. But it can be done.

DaveGee
My guy in Illinois did an awesome job
Old 02-23-2020, 08:08 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pmiddy
My guy in Illinois did an awesome job
I’m looking at 991.2 Targas and wondered about rear tint. Who’d you use in IL? And can you share a pic or two?
Old 02-23-2020, 09:43 PM
pmiddy
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Stalker
I’m looking at 991.2 Targas and wondered about rear tint. Who’d you use in IL? And can you share a pic or two?
I got mine done through Ivan at Lustr detail in palatine
I can post better pics later

The following users liked this post:
BigLoue (05-14-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 11:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Nice, I had my side windows tinted but have not had the rear done yet....need to find someone I trust to do it the right way. And I assume this was taken before the Yellow "targa" emblems? They really look good and without them it looks naked!

By the way, when I clean my rear window I put the top in stow and with a step ladder I get on top of the engine cover and sit cross-legged, which makes it real easy, and a tinter might be able to use the same technique to make their job easier.

Quick Reply: Targa 4s feed back