Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you battery charger folk...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:49 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Question for you battery charger folk...

I decided I wanted to bolt on a direct connector to the battery terminals for my charger.

1. The bolt on the terminal is flared at the end as if they really don't want you to remove the nut. I tried to force it past but feared I would damage it. What have others of you done regarding the charger terminals? I assume I have to bolt it directly to the terminal and not on a nearby ground. (?)

2. And that warning graphic near the terminal looks ominous. Do I take that to mean don't do what I am thinking of doing?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:11 PM
911Monte
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I clipped the end of the ring terminal to make it a spade and backed the nut off just a bit and slipped it in and re-tightened.

The following 2 users liked this post by 911Monte:
Fullyield (02-19-2021), maschinetheist (02-18-2021)
Old 04-03-2017, 11:17 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My approach is almost identicalto 911Monte with the same indicator pigtail going to the battery and exposed above the lid for easy connection. Works great.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:32 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

1+ for Monte. Cut the ring to make it a spade. Don't mess with the car. And don't worry about the jumper camble warning--that's to avoid sparks with cables, not a secure wired connection to a charger.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (02-19-2021)
Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 AM
BradB
Drifting

Great idea, guys. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been meaning to do this. I've been using the passenger footwell 12v socket, which is inconvenient.

For a moment I thought the second photo had some sort of strain relief for the pigtail, and then I realized what I was seeing was the cap for the connector lying loose. I don't recognize the connector - it's not the SAE connector that the Battery Tender uses.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 34 Posts

This looks like an improvement from the footwell socket...but only by half. Because you still have to have the hood open (or closed and crimping the wire) to use it. That's the same thing that bothers me about the passenger side footwell plug: you either wind up shutting the cord against the door or window (which you can obviously crack open). The dealer said "not to worry" and it's fine to shut the door on the cord but it just seems kinda fraught to me.

Has anyone routed the pigtail so you can plug the car in from, say, the front bumper area? Clean install that you plug into without a hood, door, or window in the way?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox
This looks like an improvement from the footwell socket...but only by half. Because you still have to have the hood open (or closed and crimping the wire) to use it. That's the same thing that bothers me about the passenger side footwell plug: you either wind up shutting the cord against the door or window (which you can obviously crack open). The dealer said "not to worry" and it's fine to shut the door on the cord but it just seems kinda fraught to me.

Has anyone routed the pigtail so you can plug the car in from, say, the front bumper area? Clean install that you plug into without a hood, door, or window in the way?
Yeah, I hardwired my battery tender and I don't like crimping the cord either, so I route it through the front by the windshield. There is a cutout on the wiper cowl and I route the cord through the cutout and under the frunk lid. Frunk is able to close completely and no crimped cord.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2017, 09:07 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Porsche nuts route as well. The only problem I have is what to do with the cord with the car cover on. The best I can figure is to wrap it in a microfiber towel so it doesn't scratch against the paint.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by n8kruger
I use Porsche nuts route as well. The only problem I have is what to do with the cord with the car cover on. The best I can figure is to wrap it in a microfiber towel so it doesn't scratch against the paint.
That's a tough one. Only suggestion I would have is to cut a small slit in the cover and put the cord through it. Don't know if you want to do that, but might be easier than a bunch of microfiber towels.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:43 PM
BradB
Drifting

Inspired by you clever folks, I ended up doing a variation of the theme. I routed the charger cord to a nice natural pocket of space that lies beneath the hood damper (shock). I can easily reach into the area with the hood closed and pull out a few inches to charge the battery. No mods or cutting necessary. Super fast and easy to charge her up now!

A couple shots of it laying in the recessed pocket at the base of the damper. You can make out the shiny double cord in the shadows.

I can reach in blindly with my finger and pull on the loop of the charger cord even with the hood closed.

It hooks up easily.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:24 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably a stupid question: why wire the charger to the battery? I plug my charger into the cigarette lighter in the console. More convenient? No console lighter?
Thanks
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
Probably a stupid question: why wire the charger to the battery? I plug my charger into the cigarette lighter in the console. More convenient? No console lighter?
Thanks
I do the same thing.

Jim
Old 04-18-2017, 09:16 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by porscherex
Thanks
For me, strictly convenience. For both my 993 and my 991, the chargers are mounted on the wall. I just reach over and boom, it's done. For years I kneeled into the footwell socket and ran it out the door. This is faster and I am more likely to charge the cars this way.

I actually did this first for my 993 where the interior cigarette socket connection is finicky and unreliable. I like how it turned out and applied the same solution to the 991. I like it.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Nice idea Brad. Great that you can get to the cord without opening the frunk. I like it.

Quick Reply: Question for you battery charger folk...